The Putter Refinishing Thread

Thanks, all! While it will not be replacing my SeeMore in the bag, I love the way it turned out.

JN that's sweet looking! I'm going to go old putter hunting this week so I have a few winter projects...

Thanks, all! While it will not be replacing my SeeMore in the bag, I love the way it turned out.

It turned out really nicely for sure dude.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It turned out really nicely for sure dude.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have you to thank, brother!

Well one of the first posts I read and I am hooked! Hooked enough to try something myself! Right so I have the first putter I ever bought, an ancient Ping Eye 2 in chrome

So guys tell me, what do I need?
A list of things I need and I will go and get!
Cheers

Are you planning on sanding off all the chrome or chemically stripping it? Sanding it will be pretty tough to do... chemically stripping it with muratic acid will work the best, but then of course you have hexavalant chromium to deal with...

oh god that was a lot to take in! I didn't really want to go too mad with chemicals really as I have no experience, but if sanding really isn't an option?

oh god that was a lot to take in! I didn't really want to go too mad with chemicals really as I have no experience, but if sanding really isn't an option?

Sanding is an option, but it won't turn out as well as doing it chemically will. If your putter has some kind of cavity in it, it will be very difficult to get all the chrome out of it.

Chemically stripping the putter is the quickest and best way to get rid of any paint, or chrome. When it comes to smoothing the metal, I always start with a rough grit sandpaper and then work my way down to about 2000 grit. I always find the best way to polish the metal is using a 0000 steel wool. This takes time, but has a good look to it.

You can easily removoe then chrome finish by soaking the club in Coke a cola, bleach, or rub brake fluid on it let it soak for ten mins, wipe and repeat until the chrome is gone.

As a trained chemist, I'd be slightly concerned about using brake fluid for that use.

You'd be much better off going to the local hardware shop and getting either some concentrated acid or etching fluid.

As a trained chemist, I'd be slightly concerned about using brake fluid for that use.

You'd be much better off going to the local hardware shop and getting either some concentrated acid or etching fluid.

Any recomendaitons?

Any recomendaitons?

Ideally for the removal of chrome (or in our case a protective layer of chromium oxide) phosphoric acid is ideal.

I was actually doing this at uni the other day and 14 Molar phosphoric acid strips CrO2 in about 2 seconds.

Most well stocked hardware shops should stock it as it is essential for brazing stainless steel with silver solder as well.

Based on this thread (and given as a chemist I already have access to all the chemicals I'll need), I just bought myself an old school putter to restore over the next few months.

Also, Nate (and Jman) how did u achieve the awesome affect shown in your pictures earlier? I'm planning on making a "gradient putter" (an idea ive had for a while) with a dark oil quenched head, a custom polished copper ferrule, a steel shaft and a white grip. That way the putter gets gradually lighter in colour towards the top.

I'll post pics soon

Photo's as promised:

3.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

4.jpg

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    67.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    79.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    69.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    72.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
If I ever get around to refinishing my TP mills putter, I'll post it here, so far I have a new paintfill job

I'm currently soaking the head in some bleach to see if it will make getting the chrome off any easier. Removed the paintfill last night, which is always a little bit of a PIA. Next up will be sanding.

This is a cool thread. Definitely going to try my hand at this when we buy a house here in May, no where to really do this in a townhouse with no garage in the middle of a PA winter. Looking forward to seeing everyone's progress!

great looking putter Nate!

Seeing as I will be refinishing my putter, I was just wondering if there was a way of adding more weight to the head? My ping is ultra light, and when you don't have a strong stroke like mine, it can often lead to problems. I have tried things like lead tape but doesn't seem to help the balance of the putter? Is there a simple way just to add some weight? I guess welding some to the back of the putter?

Seeing as I will be refinishing my putter, I was just wondering if there was a way of adding more weight to the head? My ping is ultra light, and when you don't have a strong stroke like mine, it can often lead to problems. I have tried things like lead tape but doesn't seem to help the balance of the putter? Is there a simple way just to add some weight? I guess welding some to the back of the putter?

You could fill in the cavity if it has one, or add lead tape...

A dremel with a sanding tip or smooth stone tip will do that Hawk

Perfect thread for good ole Buck

Here's the putter I am using!
e2uraje5.jpg

u6uqa6ub.jpg

ame8equ4.jpg

Back