US Women's Open (spoilers)

soxngolf

back to the season
Reaction score
Thought I would start this thread off with what will undoubtedly be a topic of discussion with both Wie and Gulbis not being in the field. Here are the player exemption qualifications this year. There are 70 players receiving exemptions from the USGA.

Key to Player Exemptions –

Winners of the U.S. Women's Open Championship for the last 10 years (1999-2008).
Winner and runner-up of the 2008 U.S. Women's Amateur Championship (must be an amateur).
Winners of the LPGA Championship the last five years.
Winners of the Ricoh Women's British Open Championship the last five years.
Winners of the Kraft Nabisco Championship the last five years.
15 lowest scorers and anyone tying for 15th place from the 2008 U.S. Women's Open Championship.
Top 50 money leaders from the 2008 final official LPGA money list.
Top 10 money leaders from the 2009 official LPGA money list, through June 1. (Must have filed an entry by May 6).
Winners of LPGA co-sponsored events, whose victories are considered official, from the conclusion of the 2008 U.S. Women's Open Championship to the initiation of the 2009 U.S. Women's Open Championship.
Top five money leaders from the 2008 Japan LPGA Tour, Korea LPGA Tour and Ladies European Tour.
Special exemptions selected by the USGA.

The big change: This year they are only taking the top 10 from the money list as opposed to previous years taking the top 35. Both Michelle and Natalie would have received exemptions.

I know. Changing it to top 10 was a bad move that they are regretting now. Especially when they held qualifying when they did which was also absurd.

I just do not understand how a top 5 money leader on the Japan Tour deserves a spot instead of current players playing on the LPGA.

I am wondering why most of the players chose to qualify right after the LPGA Championship? There were several qualifying tournaments, did they have a choice? I am not sure how that worked.:confused2:

Im not sure why they did, however many may have thought they were not going to need to. Plus other commitments.

One more lost opportunity to grow interest in women's golf; this time the USGA's fault, not Bivens. Soxy asks an interesting question I've been wanting answered too. Maybe one of our twitterers will tell us?

I have an email into a friend at the LPGA, so hopefully they can answer it.

Dottie Pepper's column this week on Golf.com was (no surprise) about the U.S. Women's Open. As usual, I enjoyed her perspective.

Open Octet: Thoughts on this weeks U.S. Women's Open

By Dottie Pepper
Published: July 07, 2009

The U.S. Women's Open takes place this week at Saucon Valley in Bethlehem, Pa., and it always causes me to do some soul-searching. Here's what's on my mind this week.

1. The Open, which began in 1946, is the oldest championship in women's golf, predating the LPGA tour by four years, and it is the most coveted title.

2. It has had a few one-hit-wonder winners (Kathy Baker, Laurie Merten, Hilary Lunke, Birdie Kim), but by and large the Open has identified a great champion.

3. The Open has also identified those who perhaps wanted it so much that they couldn't get out of their own way: Beth Daniel, Rosie Jones, Nancy Lopez and me.

4. Mike Davis's tough-but-fair philosophy works well for the Women's Open, too, right down to the drivable par-4 and varied teeing grounds.

5. The purse has grown over the last 10 years, making it the LPGA's largest. And the criteria for exemption have been stiffened, which kept fan faves Michelle Wie and Natalie Gulbis out of this year's field but is the right call for the long-term prestige of the event.

6. Sites reeking in golf history such as Cherry Hills, Interlachen and Newport have contributed to the event's aura of excellence. In keeping with that tradition, Oakmont, the Broadmoor and Pinehurst No. 2 are coming up.

7. My wish list of future sites includes Salem (that would get me to beat the rust off my clubs), Merion, Oak Hill, Pebble Beach and Pasatiempo.

8. I would trade both of my majors to be a U.S. Open champion.
I only partially agree with #5, however. I have no problem with stiffening exemption criteria. But when a player like Michelle Wie (who is ranked #36 in the world and who is #12 on the 2009 LPGA money list - neither not factoring in yesterday's T3 finish) is not playing, the wrong criteria are being stiffened.

yeah when you have this many amateurs in the field, but lack the top 15 on the 09 money list, there are problems.

I like Dottie a lot, but I really think somewhere, she has some issues with Wie.

I like Dottie a lot, but I really think somewhere, she has some issues with Wie.

Really? I can only ever recall her praising Wie. I'll have to listen more carefully from now on.

It might just be me Harry. But it seems she jumps on her every chance there is during the rounds. I love her perspective and at the show we got to see a different side to her and she is a lot of fun.

A Very Narrow Slice of the US Women's Open

A Very Narrow Slice of the US Women's Open

Boo and I got there about 10:00 am. We had to do a lot of walking to get into the grounds. We just missed watching Christina Kim and Morgan Pressel tee off at number 2. It was on our way to the driving range/chipping area. When we first got there, the players were those you had to know your LPGA pretty well to recognize. However, Marie Jose Uribe was on the range--in eye blinding fuchsia, and Louise Friberg was chipping.

We were in the process of heading over to the first tee when I spotted a pink panther headcover heading our way. Paula passed within ten feet of us, and Boo just about swooned. So we watched her chip for a bit.

Kids got to eat free at a special tent. We headed that way, stopping to watch some action on the 15th tee. Rosie Jones??!! We also saw Stacy P. and Karine Icher.

Spoiler
USOpen001.jpg

USOpen002.jpg

Then to the putting green, near the first tee. Paula came along soon after, so we watched until she headed to tee off.

Spoiler
USOpen003.jpg

Boo positioned herself along the walkway, and Paula autographed her hat!

Spoiler
USOpen007.jpg

We followed Paula, Mika Miyazato,

Spoiler
USOpen004.jpg
and two amateurs for a couple of holes. Juli Inkster, Meg Mallon, Pat Hurst, and Karrie Webb teed off at the same time from the tenth tee. That would have been incredible to watch, but no way Boo was going to let me do that.

Boo got tired pretty quickly. After she rested a bit, we made our way to the ninth green. We watched a few groups finish up there. It was fun seeing who we could recognize before the standard bearer showed up. Someone else recognized Amanda Blumenherst first.

Spoiler
USOpen009.jpg

But I saw Lorena first thing. Boo took this photo:

Spoiler
USOpen011.jpg

Then Boo realized the women were signing autographs on their way off the green. Lorena signed Boo's hat and mine, too. Boo also got Stacy Lewis.

Spoiler
USOpen014.jpg

At about 2:30, the lightening sirens went off. We headed to the merchandise tent, where Boo got in line for an autograph from Morgan Pressel. So she got quite a high quality haul there, and we can never wash her hat again.

At that point, we headed home. Boo said she likes practice rounds because she gets autographs, but I prefer the competition.

I drag The Kid back on Saturday--Helen Alfredsson or bust!

Awesome stuff Claire. Thank you.

Sounds like it ws a good time Claire. Glad Boo enjoyed herself!

So cool Claire!

wow you guys made out well!

when i went to a practice round for the 2004 PGA at whistling straits i got there at 730/8 and was one of few near sergio and vijay when they teed off. When i asked for an autograph they looked at me like an i was an idiot and walk away! :angry:

Claire, that sounds really great. So glad Boo got to meet her favorite, as well as those others. Thanks for the pictures!

LPGA.com is showing some sort of coverage tommorow:

Jul 08 : ESPN2 3:30-4:30 PM ET

But I can't find any evidence of it on my on-screen guide or online listings, even at other times. Anyone know the scoop?

But I can't find any evidence of it on my on-screen guide or online listings, even at other times. Anyone know the scoop?

Okay, the uswomensopen.com site is listing it as "Sports Center at Women's Open" with a time of 5:30 - 6:30 PM ET.

Mine says the Scott Van Pelt Show from ESPN Radio. Maybe he's broadcasting from the site? Maybe he's preempted? His website doesn't say anything about it.

Edit: Yeah, I've got Sports Center 5:30-6:00 previewing the US Women's Open.

Boo also got Stacy Lewis.

Maybe I should hang out with Boo some. :laugh: Glad to hear you both had fun while you were there.

wow you guys made out well!

when i went to a practice round for the 2004 PGA at whistling straits i got there at 730/8 and was one of few near sergio and vijay when they teed off. When i asked for an autograph they looked at me like an i was an idiot and walk away! :angry:

I think the women of the LPGA are awesome about that and I am sure Claire would agree. In between every hole someone was signing autographs, they were coming off the practice tee to sign or take pictures with people. It was very impressive.

Claire sound like you had a great day. Glad that you saw Paula and got some very cool autographs!

Here is the TV coverage for the Open:

U.S. Women's Open
Jul 08 : ESPN2 Sportscenter
3:30-4:30 PM ET

Jul 09 : ESPN
2:00-6:00 PM ET

Jul 10 : ESPN
2:00-6:00 PM ET

Jul 11 : NBC
3:00-6:00 PM ET

Jul 12 : NBC
3:00-6:00 PM ET

More time on Thursday and Friday than on Saturday and Sunday! :bad:

I thought that was messed up too Claire.

Pairings are up. Here are some highlights, starting with the first tee, morning (* = amateur):

Start Time : 7:55 AM
Cristie Kerr
Anna Nordqvist
Yani Tseng

Start Time : 8:06 AM
Karrie Webb
Pat Hurst
Ai Miyazato

Start Time : 8:17 AM
Song-Hee Kim
Katherine Hull
Angela Stanford