Status
Not open for further replies.
bhillin great and simple way to explain MOA, and you are right in this day and time most firearms are more accurate than the user. I have a buddy, who does not get excited about shooting unless he is at 500+ yards and ringing 8 inch steel plates. Me i try to be the best i can be at 100 yards and in.

Yea, I uses to be that way when I was shooting a lot with the military.... And had access to 1200+ yard ranges all the time and didn't pay for ammo. It it makes it a good challenge to take all the aspects of bullet flight plus the shooting in order to hit long range targets at 1000+ yards. There is a lot of aspects that affect flight when your talking those ranges, and I think it's a fun challenge. Too bad it's next to impossible to find ranges like that outside the military to practice on. My club around here is only out to 300 yards.

Here's my new Springfield XDS. It's sweet!
erahaguh.jpg

That's sweet Jrod! You should get one, then let me come try it out... Haha

Well, it IS best to start taking out zombies further away. They're slow moving, so being able to take out groups of them at 500 yards is better than waiting until they're coming in the windows.

nahhhhh that's what my 105mm Mortar is for.

That's sweet Jrod! You should get one, then let me come try it out... Haha

Hahaha only about 7-9 dollars a round, plus can pretty much cut any Whitetail in half.

Bhilln great explanation on MOA. I am surprised at how many shooters I see who are clueless to what it means and how to sight in a scope with out running through at least a box of ammo.

Bhiln is exactly right most new rifles will out shoot most shooters. When a company says their rifle will shoot 1 MOA, they are talking about shooting a three shot group all 3 shots being within an inch of each other(little more complicated than that but that's the gist). The only company that I know of that exceeds a three shot group is Sako from Finland and they use a 5 shot group and every rifle is tested before leaving the factory.

Shootin past 500 yards takes some good technique, a good rifle and scope and plenty of knowledge when the weather ain't perfect.

I hunt with a Sako 270win with a 4.5-14 Leoupold scope and it's a tack driver. I have yet to get a 5 shot MOA group but that's me not the rifle.

I hunt with a Sako 270win with a 4.5-14 Leoupold scope and it's a tack driver. I have yet to get a 5 shot MOA group but that's me not the rifle.

That is a solid set up there, Sako does a good job

Thanks for the explanation! So if I am understanding you correctly, when a sight says 1/4MOA adjustments, it means that each click of a knob will effectively move the sight in reference to the barrel 1/4MOA in whatever direction and this will translate to roughly a 0.25" change at 100 yards assuming the gun is pointed at exactly the same spot?

Sure thing Rat; The term MOA is used in two way's but means the same thing if that makes sence.... probably not.

MOA used in terms of accuracy is describing the ability of a firearm / shooter to put a group of rounds in that circle at 100 yards. So, a 1MOA rifle can put every round in a 1 inch circle. Of course there are many other factors that go into that (shooter ability, rounds, weather conditions, etc), so why I say ability to do so. Most good rifles are 1MOA or less meaning they are able to consistently put every round within a 1 inch circle at the target 100 yards. That being said, most all firearms can shoot much better than most shooters in the world, so when rifles state MOA accuracy, take it for what it's worth... rifle at rest or in a vice for optimal accuracy.

When talking about adjustments from target to sights, think of MOA as a clock. 60 make a full circle. Think of a difference between your sightline, target and path of the bullet. Those three points will make a triangle so you can calulate where you need to aim to get your first round on target. 1 inch (1.047" to be exact) at 100 yards is 1 MOA, 2 inches at 200 yards etc. Bullets don't move on a straight line and a shooter compensates for the arc of the bullet by calculating the MOA of his target based on the distance (and other factors as well). Knowing the distance to target and the flight path of your bullet will help you calculate the MOA adjustments needed for your optics in order to get your first round on target.

Hopefully that makes sense, at least at 4am... if not shoot me a PM and can get in much more detail for calculations etc.

Thanks for the explanation! So if I am understanding you correctly, when a sight says 1/4MOA adjustments, it means that each click of a knob will effectively move the sight in reference to the barrel 1/4MOA in whatever direction and this will translate to roughly a 0.25" change at 100 yards assuming the gun is pointed at exactly the same spot?
That is correct!

Just picked up this Xmas gift this morning. My 11 year olds 1st gun (Marlin Model 60):

m60.jpg

that's... awesome... i want an H&K G36C. like now. lawl.

lolz, one of my favorite teachers has a lot, I mean a lot of H&Ks. She's one of the top 5 firearms instructors in the state, and boy is she deadly

Yea, I uses to be that way when I was shooting a lot with the military.... And had access to 1200+ yard ranges all the time and didn't pay for ammo. It it makes it a good challenge to take all the aspects of bullet flight plus the shooting in order to hit long range targets at 1000+ yards. There is a lot of aspects that affect flight when your talking those ranges, and I think it's a fun challenge. Too bad it's next to impossible to find ranges like that outside the military to practice on. My club around here is only out to 300 yards.

bhill, I need to hire you for shooting lessons! You are certainly well versed on the art of shooting. We can stretch out to 1320 yards at the farm. I have no reason to shoot that far (nor even close to the skill) but have some friends who have come out and shot that far.

bhill, I need to hire you for shooting lessons! You are certainly well versed on the art of shooting. We can stretch out to 1320 yards at the farm. I have no reason to shoot that far (nor even close to the skill) but have some friends who have come out and shot that far.

Dude, we'll have to get together sometime, only a couple hours away from here. The only people that really have a reason to shoot that far is military and those that compete... at least until the zombies come :alien:

It's all about your fundamentals and getting lots trigger time practicing. There's no secrets, just practice and see if you can get someone good to watch / diagnose you. For the basic's, this is a pretty good article on the fundamentals on body position, breathing, sight picture and trigger squeeze. http://www.snipercountry.com/mark1.htm

nahhhhh that's what my 105mm Mortar is for.

That's a technique... if we're going that route I'm going MLRS... one shot one grid square!!

Dude, we'll have to get together sometime, only a couple hours away from here. The only people that really have a reason to shoot that far is military and those that compete... at least until the zombies come :alien:

It's all about your fundamentals and getting lots trigger time practicing. There's no secrets, just practice and see if you can get someone good to watch / diagnose you. For the basic's, this is a pretty good article on the fundamentals on body position, breathing, sight picture and trigger squeeze. http://www.snipercountry.com/mark1.htm

Wait, are you saying I shouldn't be shooting deer at a mile?! lol j/k. I forgot to mention-my farm is near Marshall-approx half way between Columbia and KC but that shouldn't stop us from shooting sometime. I see Kstate in your avi-are you from KS?
thx for the link-I will check it out.

Wait, are you saying I shouldn't be shooting deer at a mile?! lol j/k. I forgot to mention-my farm is near Marshall-approx half way between Columbia and KC but that shouldn't stop us from shooting sometime. I see Kstate in your avi-are you from KS?
thx for the link-I will check it out.

I grew up in KS and a majority of my family still live there.

I grew up in KS and a majority of my family still live there.

Sorry to hear that! j/k. As a Mizzou grad I feel it is my duty to get in a KS jab every once in a while. lol
We should get together in the spring. Guns, golf, etc. hard to beat that.

That's a technique... if we're going that route I'm going MLRS... one shot one grid square!!

Oh so you you are raising the bar, and i am sure this MLRS, will have a collection of goodies, like standard M26's, M29's for those zombies that happen to know how to drive armored vehicles, and then when all else fails the XM135's that will be loaded with the anti-zombie gas/chemical agent.

That's fine i see your MLRS and raise you a AC-130 spooky, followed up by some Cruise missiles from my LA class sub off the east coast.

Oh so you you are raising the bar, and i am sure this MLRS, will have a collection of goodies, like standard M26's, M29's for those zombies that happen to know how to drive armored vehicles, and then when all else fails the XM135's that will be loaded with the anti-zombie gas/chemical agent.

That's fine i see your MLRS and raise you a AC-130 spooky, followed up by some Cruise missiles from my LA class sub off the east coast.

Eeeeh... Ac130s aka puff the magic dragon generally only flight at night... And I'm not trusting the navy guys on subs, they are all a little special. Lol :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back