Bit confused about a fitting

rollin

"Just playin golf pally"
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Hope this question isnt stupid.

My first and only fitting ever had was during this summer. I would like to use the info of course to get new clubs this winter. My fitting was very informative and spent alot of time with me.

My question - I dont why i'm only thinking of this now but thats because I am looking into clubs and want to be correct as possible.

As far as the irons go. = is it normal to have only used a 5 iron during the fitting? was he supose to fit me to all the irons?

I am to understand that I would just use the 5 iron info and then go up and down from that point in legnth and lie as we go through the set.

I require 63* lie and 28 &1/2" legnth with the 5 iron.

If i were to buy a set where the 5 iron is 28" with 62* lie then I'd obviously get a +1/2" legnth and +1*upright.

Then I assume i'd have to do this throught the set. All at +1/2" and +1upright?? Obviously all the clubs would be plus those two figuers from the standards of that set. But again, was i supose to be fitted with all the clubs or was this practice considered normal to use just the 5iron?

Depends on the fitting. Many fittings are only done with a single iron (often times a 6 iron) to get your basic info. Things such as lie angle, shaft flex, etc will not change much through lofts.

38-1/2 is probably what you mean?

I don't think what you experienced in uncommon and your assumption is correct.

I think your fitting seemed normal. minus the 5 iron. I have only seem it done with a 6. that helps determine correct shaft.

If you are uncomfortable with it...I say go to a different shaft fitter.

I was fit off of just my 6 iron. I still checked the lie angle through out the set though. It took and extra 10 minutes.

Depends on the fitting. Many fittings are only done with a single iron (often times a 6 iron) to get your basic info. Things such as lie angle, shaft flex, etc will not change much through lofts.

so then its fairly normal and i guess he (the fitter)choses the 5i to do his fittings. But i notice since looking at new sets that stock lie angles do change a bit like legnth changes as we go up and down the iron scale. I knew the legnths did but only recently noticed the lie does as well. So with the way i was fitted and my newly realized info on the lie angles changing through a set, if i need to go 1*UP on the lie of the 5i then should i be ordering or buying 1* up on the whole set? Or did he (my fitter) mean that all my irons should be 63* lie??

so then its fairly normal and i guess he (the fitter)choses the 5i to do his fittings. But i notice since looking at new sets that stock lie angles do change a bit like legnth changes as we go up and down the iron scale. I knew the legnths did but only recently noticed the lie does as well. So with the way i was fitted and my newly realized info on the lie angles changing through a set, if i need to go 1*UP on the lie of the 5i then should i be ordering or buying 1* up on the whole set? Or did he (my fitter) mean that all my irons should be 63* lie??

Throughout the whole set.

Here's an example.

If you have a set you like that has a 5 iron at 38 inches and 62° you can just order the set at 1° up and 1/2inch long. Does that make sense?

Throughout the whole set.

Here's an example.

If you have a set you like that has a 5 iron at 38 inches and 62° you can just order the set at 1° up and 1/2inch long. Does that make sense?

so then I would be 1* up on every iron from what ever those irons were at standard and not 63* across the board. The only one that would be 63* would then be the 5i if that is the only one that was 62* in the set to begin with.

That is correct.

Depending on the irons you are buying, that could be anywhere from 1° to 3° upright (hypothetically).

thank you all. i just got worried that maybe i was supose to get 63* across all my irons. Obviously the irons are closer and further away as they are shorter and longer so it would make sense to me that the lie's would change too. But I got thinking of this and concerned before i would buy clubs and make any big mistake.
Thanks Again

No problem. That's not to say that having each iron checked wouldn't be the absolute best option, but it's not always the way it's done.

I did notice that different clubs (by manufacturer) can change their legnths and lie angles at different incriments and not always at the same club numbers with in the scale. A little bit more so with the wedges too.

Yep, there's no real standard it seems. You'll generally find that game improvement irons are more upright than other irons. I'm sort of going through that right now.

it does seem bit crazy cause two golfers can buy different set at plus1* and plus1/2" but if different sets they can actually have two slightly different 9irons (hypothetically speaking). Not to mention one shaft at stiff being totaly diff from another company etc, etc can go on and on. With all the equipment out there, If someone really wanted to, they can probably get fitted for days and days. lol

Agreed, any of the fittings I've done for irons they had me use a 5, another had me use a 6 and another had me use a 7, they all came out with very similar results.

Back