• Straight back and straight through

Votes: 28 70.0%

• Total voters

Blue Arc

3 Iron...and watch this
Reaction score
Handicap
guitarded
Straight back and straight through or the arc? I know it's whatever works for me but I was kinda wondering what works for most. I read the arc is good for lagging but takes lots of practice to master. I read that a heel shaft putter is best for the arc and a mallet is best for SBST. I have a Ping G2 blade but I always try to putt SBST. I'm really struggling with putting. What do you guys do and what can you share on the subject. I'm on a mission to get the ball in the hole.

I think this is the very reason I have switched to the SeeMore putter. It gets the ball in the ball in the hole. The red dot may be gimmicky, but it seems to work better for me than anything else. And I am not alone, the putter shoot out, they won performance. The putter sampling that we posted here in the forum had a tester pick that one too.

But in the end, it is finding a putter that matches your stroke and works for you.

Well said, JB!

For me, I've always been a straight back, straight through putter. It works well for me.

Yeah I found the thread on the putters. I went to Seemore and all I looked at only optioned for the righty. Found a couple on ebay but I hate ebay. I think I just need to work my Ping more. I figure the most common stroke would be the one to work on so as not to waste time. Ha!

Besides the Seemore, the Eyeline putter thing helped me out a lot too, and I was a really bad putter. It helped my positioning.

For me it depends on the length of the putt. The SBST stroke is only good for shorter putts, since you can only go so far back with out getting into a arc situation to send the ball farther. But imho I think there is even an arc (very small) when the putter is seems to be sbst stroked. Is there not a rule in golf that a putter has to have at least a 10* angle? If so, it would not take much movement of the putter to open, and close the face through the stroke. Just my belief, so take it with a grain of salt.

Arc putters need to be very focused on ball position with regards to their stroke , since during the swing arc, the putter face is only square to the target line for a very short instance.

I am mallet kind of guy. I have a garage full of different types of putters, and mallets are my choice. I also putt with an open stance. Even with a fitted putter, I am more accurate regardless of the distance, using an open stance. It's not open much, but it is definitely not square. Again, and I can't prove it, but I think my open stance helps to square the putter face up with my sbst stroke, due to the small amount of arc it produces. Just my $0.02 worth. :confused2:

I ws a very good putter once. I seem to have lost some of my accuracy. I know my eyesight is weakening over time and that may be part of it. I always had a SBST stroke and I just seemed to know it was going in. I had lots of rounds in the 24 to 26 putts per round range. I still seldom 3 putt, but they just aren't dropping from range like they were. I may have to change putters again, I am sure it couldn't possibly be me!

Since switching to SeeMore Putter I have been using the arc method unless the putt is 4 ft or less and then it is pretty much SBST. It has worked well for me so far. I am still getting used to the arc and it was a bit difficult at first but really try to concentrate on making a slow back swing and releasing the club on my follow through. As JB mentioned the red dot or RST works well you just hav eto make sure you are concentrating on the ball and not the club.

Straight for me & thats why I bought a Marxman putter for alignment, back & thru.

slight arc

Selected the wrong answer. Doh. I'm an arc guy all the way. Stan Utley is the man.

SBST, but I think we all have somewhat of an arc to our putting stroke.

I picked arc, because I am assuming SBST is the "closed to open" method?? And the arc would be the "open to closed"??

I picked arc, because I am assuming SBST is the "closed to open" method?? And the arc would be the "open to closed"??
With SBST the putter should stay pretty square all the way through the stroke.
IMO, there is still somewhat of an opening and closing of the clubface because its almost impossible to keep it perfectly square simply because your body acts as an axis and its natural for the clubface to open and close a little bit.

With SBST the putter should stay pretty square all the way through the stroke.
IMO, there is still somewhat of an opening and closing of the clubface because its almost impossible to keep it perfectly square simply because your body acts as an axis and its natural for the clubface to open and close a little bit.

Square being relative to what?? your body or the line, if it is the line you would have to close the club face on the backswing(in relation to your body) and open it through impact for it to be square to the line.

Watch the first minute of this video, I am assuming the first example(first two putts) is the arc and the second example is the SBST
[YOUTUBE]1TDSWxBHVOY[/YOUTUBE]

Square being relative to what?? your body or the line, if it is the line you would have to close the club face on the backswing(in relation to your body) and open it through impact for it to be square to the line.

Watch the first minute of this video, I am assuming the first example(first two putts) is the arc and the second example is the SBST
[YOUTUBE]1TDSWxBHVOY[/YOUTUBE]
Square to your body and the line. Im on dial-up here, so watching that video aint gonna happen.

60% of my weight on my front foot - straight back - straight forward so the head of my putter follows thru to my mark.

now it's al about read and speed!!!!!

Good post Craig. That's exactly what I was asking. I use the SBST and the guy in the video is correct. It does require movement in the shoulders to swing the club in that line but...I can't putt for ****. It seems the arc would require massive practice to be square at impact consistently. anyway...I'm on a mission to learn how to get it down! Ha!

I prefer the arc method. To me putting is more of a visualization method. I put a “movie” of the ball rolling to the location I am hitting to in my mind, then play the movie in my mind and let the swing take care of itself. I know it probably sounds crazy but with a little practice your imagination can become very accurate in swinging the putter and putting the ball in the hole.

Is a blade putter better for SBST? I just got a mallet and I can't seem to find my putting stroke anymore.

SBST for me. I use an Odyssey 2-ball and that's my swing thought or putt thought if you will for putts inside 25' or so. Anything longer than that and I focus more on distance control ... as someone else posted it's nearly impossible to actually go SBST on longer putts, but whatever arc there is is natural and minimal.

Is a blade putter better for SBST? I just got a mallet and I can't seem to find my putting stroke anymore.

Conventional wisdom is that rear-shafted blades are best for a putting stroke that arcs, while mallets (higher MOI/resistance to twisting), especially center-shafted mallets, are better for SBST.

Straight back and straight through for me. My mallet putter is center-shafted, which I think makes SBST easier to accomplish as opposed to heel-shafted putters.

slight arc

Back