Johneli

Reaction score
Handicap
How cool is it when you're watching a tournament to be able to depend on the blimp above to clarify so many aspects of play? When you're following a shot and it looks like it's going into a bunker or hazard did it stay short? Just ask the blimp. If a ball is lost pinpoint it with the blimp. Wanna follow the flight of a really tremendous shot? Just ask the blimp.

Do you feel that the current use of blimps (and of course cameras) has heightened the enjoyment of viewing golf on tv?

PS. You can keep those putt trackers with the blue dotted line and an X where the player should be aiming. Very annoying DURING a putt. (That was just an aside) Feel free to comment on that as well.:D

How cool is it when you're watching a tournament to be able to depend on the blimp above to clarify so many aspects of play? When you're following a shot and it looks like it's going into a bunker or hazard did it stay short? Just ask the blimp. If a ball is lost pinpoint it with the blimp. Wanna follow the flight of a really tremendous shot? Just ask the blimp.

Do you feel that the current use of blimps (and of course cameras) has heightened the enjoyment of viewing golf on tv?

I do like the blimp's perspective adds to the broadcast. But to me HD made golf more incredible to watch than anything else. Being able to spot the ball better and get a better idea of the elevation changes of a course as well as slopes of the green.

I do like the blimp's perspective adds to the broadcast. But to me HD made golf more incredible to watch than anything else. Being able to spot the ball better and get a better idea of the elevation changes of a course as well as slopes of the green.

You're right. HD makes everything better, especially golf. The only thing I don't care for in HD is the local evening news. A little too much detail on faces better suited for radio. (I can't believe I just said that......but it's what I think when I tune in):shame:

I definitely think HD and the blimp have made watching golf more enjoyable. I also agree about the blue line I a not a huge fan of that. Although, I do sometimes feel like it helps my game by showing me just how far off to the right or left I need to aim sometimes for the greens that really break.

I am in the minority, and think golf is a game that should be played, and not watched....on TV. I like to watch golf in person at tournaments, and high light reels of the day's action work for me. But to sit in front of TV for 3 hours just does not interest me. Too much non action, and talking head time to keep me watching. If I watch any golf at all, it is probably just in small bits, and pieces, and more on Sunday towards the end of the broadcast.

As for the blimp, I like some of the shots, and views it provides. There is a blimp shot of Tiger Woods hitting a ball out of fairway bunker, over some trees, a water hazard, 216+/- yards and landing on the green which stands out vividly for me. I don't remember where or when, but I do remember that shot, provided by the blimp. :cool:

I like the blimp. I really enjoy watching shots from that angle.

I have to disagree with you regarding the blue putting line. Aimpoint (the blue line) is AWESOME. You can check it out at Aimpoint. Mark Sweeney the inventor has a forum with all kinds of interesting information on putting and mapping of greens. I have learned a ton from him.

That blue aim point gizmo is pretty cool. But, you still see putts that stay on the line not go in, and you see putts that deviate from line still go in. It's all about speed. I agree with the concept, and thanks "mchepp" for the link. I am going check that site out a little further. Just a question, but has anyone seen that blue line set up for a double breaking putt? I can't remember seeing one. :comp:

Here, Here...HD golf is amazing!!!

Good thing they don't have a blimp on any of the courses I play. All they'd see were a bunch of people scurrying off into the bushes for the nearest point of relief.

I used to work on the 50th floor of a building in NYC. The blimps would come right up to the window. We could wave to the driver.

totally dig it

I used to work on the 50th floor of a building in NYC. The blimps would come right up to the window. We could wave to the driver.

.....and just then this gigantic windstorm comes up and........

Back