Bunkers - Your Preference

my line of thinking too. I actually dislike really soft fluffy sand.
I cant stand it!!!

I spend all of my golfing days making ball first contact, now you tell me you want me to hit 2 inches behind the ball. oh no

Being out at True Blue this week reminded me a lot about bunkers and the different types of sand we all encounter. Never mind course to course, many times we have different bunker sand on the same course throughout the different holes. Do you have a preference between hard and compact, soft and fluffy, wet or dry, etc?

Greenside, I like them deep and on the fluffier side. Quite honestly, I just like bunkers that allow me to bury my club into the sand without having it bounce off of the clay underneath hah!

I love hard and dry fairway bunkers but soft and fluffy greenside.

I prefer to play out of slightly firm sand. As stated earlier by Playdough, having it consistent throughout the course is very nice and having some depth to the sand really helps, especially in greenside bunkers.

I prefer to play out of slightly firm sand. As stated earlier by Playdough, having it consistent throughout the course is very nice and having some depth to the sand really helps, especially in greenside bunkers.
this is coming from a man with a beautiful golf game.

Soft and fluffy. The problem being that very few courses here have soft and fluffy because of the climate, so they tend to be compact and hard. Some are so hard that I generally just try to chip the ball out around the green rather than opening the club and hitting behind the ball.

Being out at True Blue this week reminded me a lot about bunkers and the different types of sand we all encounter. Never mind course to course, many times we have different bunker sand on the same course throughout the different holes. Do you have a preference between hard and compact, soft and fluffy, wet or dry, etc?

I really don't have a preference so long as the sand is consistent. Inconsistent sand on the same course is one of my biggest golf pet peeves.

If I had to choose, though, I would take firm, slightly wet sand.

I definitely prefer the soft fluffy varietal. I think it makes greenside bunkers playable and out of the fairway, while tougher, can still be manageable.

Few courses I play have that type sand. It's usually inconsistent across the spectrum. I add another another step to my swing routine, I always find a spot to dig my feet in to see what the first 3 inches of sand are like.

I really don't have a preference so long as the sand is consistent. Inconsistent sand on the same course is one of my biggest golf pet peeves. If I had to choose, though, I would take firm, slightly wet sand.
This. I can make it work out of any type of sand, but if each bunker is different across the course, it makes it really tough to get a feel for them.

Much rather have the soft fluffy stuff. My chances of blading the ball go up by about 500% if it is hard sand

I like soft, dry and fluffy bunkers.

But around here they are mostly hard and compact by the drought of summer on the courses I usually play.

this is coming from a man with a beautiful golf game.

Many thanks One-T! :D
Actually, my sand play is one of the areas of my game that I need the most improvement in. Growing up on a course without sand didn't do me well.
The more firm sand preference I believe is caused by my lack of confidence and skill in this area. The firm sand helps insure that I get the ball out of the hazard and a little closer to the hole.
We'll tee it up together one of these outings! :act-up:

Many thanks One-T! :D
Actually, my sand play is one of the areas of my game that I need the most improvement in. Growing up on a course without sand didn't do me well.
The more firm sand preference I believe is caused by my lack of confidence and skill in this area. The firm sand helps insure that I get the ball out of the hazard and a little closer to the hole.
We'll tee it up together one of these outings! :act-up:
I like you do not have much sand practice so I do have confidence in the more firm sand. Funny how that works.

Your dang right we will....heck...you only live a couple hours from me.

My preference is just that there is sand. Many of the bunkers around here have hardened to near hard pack levels and hold water for weeks after rain. I've traditionally struggled out of the super fluffy stuff but will take that any day over the concrete like crap!

TB was awesome for sand. There was a good variety, but it was all playable. I love playing in sand like that.

I'll go with soft and fluffy since i never see them and the wet cement i've been playing out of lately hasn't gone well.

Another one for soft and fluffy! It's so much easier to play out of than hard,wet and compact sand.

War Eagle has it correct though for fairway bunkers - firmer sand make for easier topping and getting some distance from the shot! ;)

Soft and fluffy, for greenside bunkers. If I am in a fairway bunker, I prefer it to be more on the hard/compact side, seems to make it easier for me to hit a decent shot.
Same here, but because of the weather we always get hard, wet bunkers.

It doesn't matter to me if they're soft or firm. I just want all of them to be the same everywhere.

Soft and fluffy, for greenside bunkers. If I am in a fairway bunker, I prefer it to be more on the hard/compact side, seems to make it easier for me to hit a decent shot.
This is exactly how I feel

i find it a little easier to play out of a wet, compact, mud-like substance...with just a little bit of give to it.
if it's a little bit soft and fluffy, i have not issue...but it seems the fluffier it is, the more room for error i have.

I hate fluffy sand. I prefer a drier, firmer sand. My home course just changed the sand in all the bunkers. It's not really all that firm, but it's not really a fluffy sand either. I love it greenside, but hate it in the fairways.

I prefer dry and slightly firm greenside bunkers. I always tend to do better out of the firmer sand than the extremely fluffy stuff.

This is me as well. I seem to hit the ball properly in this type of sand. I seem to be inconsistent out of beach type sand

I prefer Fluffy in Greenside, Hard in the Fairway.

Have to agree with a few others, dry and fluffy up close and a bit firmer the farther away from the green.

Back