So, is shirtless golf now acceptable???

As the economy gets worse, you are going to see many "gentlemen golf rules" being thrown to the way side. Some of these rules are not being enforced just to get any paying customer on to course. We have some courses in Vegas that are struggling. I still dress per the attire rules, but I see many more folks, both males, and females who apparently do not see the signs as they walk onto the property. :comp:

We have 2 munis in my town - one attracts a white collar crowd and the other is mostly blue collar. I play at both and even at the latter, I've never seen a shirtless man and trust me - they wear almost anything there.

they wear almost anything there.

Anything?

Spoiler
borat-mankini-62408-1.jpg

Most of the courses around here are pretty casual but I have never seen anybody shirtless.

Have not seen that yet, have seen a woman wearing a bikini top. And can't stand the slobs wearing the nasty looking t-shirts. if you are going to wear a t-shirt how's about at least wearing one that isn't full of holes or 4 sizes too big?

Ok, this is something I have just started to notice lately but it seems like a lot of men around here thinks its perfectly acceptable to play golf with no shirt on.
What ever happened to golf being a gentleman's game and people maintaining class and dignity out on the course?
Sorry, but this really annoys me...
Shorts I can accept but not shirtless golf. :angry:

I'm fairly liberal in what I consider to be acceptable golf attire, but I still expect golfers to actually be attired. I draw the line at tank tops on men, and cutoffs on anyone, and surely would never play at a course so crass as to allow men to go shirtless.

While it's interesting to contemplate, I don't think that I could condone topless golf for women either, if for no other reason than it would be terribly distracting. :bashful:

I was playing with 2 other women one day. One of them was teeing off and a guy on the next hole was staring at her as he kept walking pulling his bag. Since he was watching her and not where he was going, he tripped in a small hole and went down, bag, cart and all. His playing partners really enjoyed that one. So if men are falling over fully dressed women - I can only imagine what a topless woman on a course would do.

I was playing with 2 other women one day. One of them was teeing off and a guy on the next hole was staring at her as he kept walking pulling his bag. Since he was watching her and not where he was going, he tripped in a small hole and went down, bag, cart and all. His playing partners really enjoyed that one. So if men are falling over fully dressed women - I can only imagine what a topless woman on a course would do.

That was your foursome, Diane???? What are the chances of that?

BTW, I'm fine ... just a skinned knee.

Last edited:
That's appalling! I've never encountered a shirtless golfer on the course. I don't believe this should ever be allowed on the course. Now, is it something that the courses are allowing or is it something that no one's catching?

That was your foursome, Diane???? What are the chances of that?

BTW, I'm fine ... just a skinned knee.

hahahahahaa!! +1

Did you ding the clubs at all? Hope not..

LOL...Ive never fallen over because I was checking out a woman on the course, but its always a treat when the local college's girl's golf team is practicing and thats always a treat.

That's appalling! I've never encountered a shirtless golfer on the course. I don't believe this should ever be allowed on the course. Now, is it something that the courses are allowing or is it something that no one's catching?
Ummm...I would say its something that no one is catching. Like I said, from what Ive seen, people are keeping their shirts on until they are no longer within sight of the clubhouse and then they take their shirts off. Then, when the once again are witin site of the clubhouse, they put their shirts back on.
They dont have any marshals out on the course, so its probably not something anyone would ever catch. :confused2:
I guess its not THAT big of a deal, but I guess I just expect more on a golf course.

Unfortunately making golf accessible to everyone means just that. Rather than follow the rules of the game and course, they want to play the game under their own conditions. However if the course does not care they are not doing anything wrong I guess.

You can say the course cares, however with not doing a single thing about it, or having anyone go out at all to check on the course, they really do not care. The only way to show them something is with your wallet.

Unfortunately making golf accessible to everyone means just that. Rather than follow the rules of the game and course, they want to play the game under their own conditions. However if the course does not care they are not doing anything wrong I guess.

You can say the course cares, however with not doing a single thing about it, or having anyone go out at all to check on the course, they really do not care. The only way to show them something is with your wallet.

However, make sure that they know you are voting with your wallet. A busy course just isn't likely to notice if you simply stop going there. I would certainly talk to the head pro or course manager so that they are aware of your decision and of the reason for it. And tell them that you would be happy to return if they change or enforce such a policy.

I sometimes play at a 9 hole, bit of a cow pasture course. A couple of weeks ago, I saw a woman wearing a flesh covered tank top - well it took a minute to realize she was wearing a top. I'm sorry, but even at a cow pasture course, it's really not appropriate.

I will be going out later to day for one of my weekly golfing walks. I will be wearing tan tennis shoes, grey with white socks, brown cargo shorts with a tan belt, a light colored, long sleeve, collared shirt (un tucked), a tan summer wide brim hat, and my brown sun glasses. Oh, and I will be wearing two mizuno black & white batting gloves. (sun damage on both hands) I will be welcomed at my home course. I have even dressed like this on some pretty nice up scale courses, and I did not stand out in crow. Today I will see others dressed in tank tops, muscle shirts, cut off blue jeans, wearing flip flops and/or sandals. My point is once the monies are paid, who cares? The more folks paying green fees at my home course the better, regardless of how they are dressed. It means my green fees are going to stay lower. Now that I think about it, I'd rather have a half naked person golfing that took care of their own divots, and ball marks than that well dressed scratch golfer who never repairs any damage

Now if need be, I can go, and have gone with the flow in a dressed up manner. My scores didn't change, but I looked good playing.:clapp:

I will be going out later to day for one of my weekly golfing walks. I will be wearing tan tennis shoes, grey with white socks, brown cargo shorts with a tan belt, a light colored, long sleeve, collared shirt (un tucked), a tan summer wide brim hat, and my brown sun glasses. Oh, and I will be wearing two mizuno black & white batting gloves. (sun damage on both hands) I will be welcomed at my home course. I have even dressed like this on some pretty nice up scale courses, and I did not stand out in crow. Today I will see others dressed in tank tops, muscle shirts, cut off blue jeans, wearing flip flops and/or sandals. My point is once the monies are paid, who cares? The more folks paying green fees at my home course the better, regardless of how they are dressed. It means my green fees are going to stay lower. Now that I think about it, I'd rather have a half naked person golfing that took care of their own divots, and ball marks than that well dressed scratch golfer who never repairs any damage

Now if need be, I can go, and have gone with the flow in a dressed up manner. My scores didn't change, but I looked good playing.:clapp:
I guess in my case, I was always taught that golf is a gentleman's game and while on the course, you are expected to act accordingly. :confused2:

I agree 100% Bake. However some may say that jeans, jean shorts, tee shirts, and sandals break the gentlemans rules as well.

I agree 100% Bake. However some may say that jeans, jean shorts, tee shirts, and sandals break the gentlemans rules as well.

True, theres a fine line between what could be considered, "eliteist" and whats acceptable.

Back