Hitting from downhill lies

Spinscan

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
The course I usually frequent has 2 holes, #'s 9 & 18 that require a shot over a creek from a slightly downhill lie. These are both par 5's and after my tee shot I am usually left with a minimum of 120 yds up to 175 yds to carry the creek to be in position for my 3rd shot.

My problem is that I frequently hit it fat or very thin (worm burner) and wind up in the creek. On #9 the creek also runs up the left side of the fairway all the way to the green and many times when I do make good contact I hook it left into the creek.

I have read a lot about hitting from downhill lies, moving the ball back in your stance, using a more lofted club, etc, etc.

Sorry for the long post. Any advice would be appreciated.

I am not a pro, but I think I may be able to help.

I often have a shot over water on a downhill lie. My particular troublesome shot is less yards (like 100 yard and in) than yours, but I think it is the same idea. This advise is from my pro when I asked him how to hit this shot at a lesson.

Stand so that your shoulders match the slope of the ground. Put the back farther back in your stance. Take one club less, and make a 3/4 swing.
You take one club less because you are going to be de-lofting it and it will not go as high.

If your course is not busy next time you play, I would put a couple balls down at the point and hit a few to get the idea.

I apologize if this was for the pro. I read the sticky thing after I posted.

Last edited:
Koko is right. THe key to playing shots from an uphill or downhill lie is to first set you shoulders parallel to the slope. On a downhill lie take 1 club less and swing easy. The slope will de-loft the club for you. No need to try and kill it here the ball will come off lower and with little or now spin so it will run out. Give it a try and next time you are at the range see if you can find some slopes to practice on.

Thanks for the advice. Practicing from downhill lies would be a good bet. I think a lot of my problem with these shots is mental. I dread having to hit these shots.

Now that you know how to play the shot the fear should start to go away. Good luck with it and let me know if there is anything else I can help you with.

Hawks Creek, Spin?

I always hit my 21° hybrid for the second shot on both of those. Unless I get into the bunker on the right side on #9, I can never clear the creek out of there (I'll hit a PW or 9 iron to lay up, and then try hybrid into the green).

Hawks Creek, Spin?

I always hit my 21° hybrid for the second shot on both of those. Unless I get into the bunker on the right side on #9, I can never clear the creek out of there (I'll hit a PW or 9 iron to lay up, and then try hybrid into the green).

Yep, Hawk's Creek.

Ok, I'm a bit confused on this one. Michael Breed, from "The golf fix" says you should put the ball a bit FORWARD in your stance on a downhill lie. His reasoning for this is when you tilt your torso to be perpendicular to the slope, you move your center of gravity, and you want that center of gravity over the ball.

amollerud, I know you didn't specifically say anything about this, but spinscan mentioned moving the ball BACK in his stance.

Can you clarify this?

Thanks!

He is correct. You want to put your center of gravity over the ball. Be careful on this...if it is a fairly minor slope no problem, but if you are really leaning the tendancy from this lie is to hit behind the ball. Cheating the ball back a touch will help make more solid contact. The lie of the ball dictates this quite a bit. If you can get into a comfortable setup and feel you won't loose your balance move the ball up a touch. If balance will be iffy cheat it back.

I searched to find this thread since I have the same basic question. However, I was wondering if you could please clarify a couple things?

From what I'm reading, you want place the ball back in your stance for a downhill lie. Would the opposite be true for an uphill lie? Would you take a stronger club for an uphill lie?

How would you suggest I get my shoulders parallel to the hill on a steep slope? Would I bend the downslope knee more severely? The uphill shot really hurt me yesterday.

Thanks amollerud!

Good questions here. For the uphill lie the ball will be played around the center of the stance. Now basic ball flight laws will say a downhill lie should draw a bit and an uphill lie should cut a bit. That being said uphill try to play it in the center. The best way to get the setup is to stand and work the shoulders parallel to the slope...then adjust the knee flex and low body to get comfortable with the shoulders. There is no right or wrong way here. Get the shoulders where you want them and build the stance to match. I hope that helps a bit.

Thanks Andy,

I will give this a try soon. It seems like every course here is hilly, so it won't be long before I'm in this situation again.

I know how you feel. I grew up playing golf in Wisconsin and there is no such thing as a flat lie. It takes some time to get comfortable and when you do it is a big edge to have on your playing partners.

I just wanted to follow up and let you know that I worked on this yesterday. It was awkward getting in the correct position, but I did see improvement after I worked on it for awhile. The course was basically empty, so I had the ability to play around a bit with different stances. Thanks for the advice!

Down Hil Lies can be your friend

Down Hil Lies can be your friend

I actually like to find a slightly down hill slope and hit 20 or 30 wedge shots from this type lie. It makes you chase the ball and teaches you to hit down and through the ball. If you are skulling the ball, grab a few balls and find a nice little down hit slope. If you can hit down and through on these shots the level ones seem much easier to stay with :eek:)....

Back