TaylorMade RocketBladez - Review Thread

Let's keep this on topic please. If you have a comment or question, you can post it. Otherwise, please move on.

There's a box waiting for me when I get home...

I have some feedback on these new rocketbladez irons. First, I can shoot anywhere from a 79 to a 100 (mainly struggle with the irons) and I play 1-2 times a month. I used to have the Taylormade tp cb irons, but I was not good enough to game them. They were great when struck in the center of the clubface, but that did not happen nearly enough. So, I traded the tp cb's for the rocketbladez, steel shaft R flex 4-aw. I have been on the the range four times with these new irons and have hit approximately 300 balls. What I like about these irons is the fact that when I miss one low on the face, the ball still gets up in the air with minimal distance loss. I find toe misses to be forgiving as well. Now, heel shots are just horrible. There is a totally different sound and feel with shots hit off the heel. Performance is also decreased with heel shots, which is expected. What I do like is I know when I have pured one and when I have missed. I have always been a low-ball hitter, but these irons really launch the ball on a high, but penetrating trajectory. I have gained on average 10-12 yards with these vs the tp cb's ( probably due to the forgiveness of the rocketbladez). I am loving these irons and can't wait to take them on the course.

I have some feedback on these new rocketbladez irons. First, I can shoot anywhere from a 79 to a 100 (mainly struggle with the irons) and I play 1-2 times a month. I used to have the Taylormade tp cb irons, but I was not good enough to game them. They were great when struck in the center of the clubface, but that did not happen nearly enough. So, I traded the tp cb's for the rocketbladez, steel shaft R flex 4-aw. I have been on the the range four times with these new irons and have hit approximately 300 balls. What I like about these irons is the fact that when I miss one low on the face, the ball still gets up in the air with minimal distance loss. I find toe misses to be forgiving as well. Now, heel shots are just horrible. There is a totally different sound and feel with shots hit off the heel. Performance is also decreased with heel shots, which is expected. What I do like is I know when I have pured one and when I have missed. I have always been a low-ball hitter, but these irons really launch the ball on a high, but penetrating trajectory. I have gained on average 10-12 yards with these vs the tp cb's ( probably due to the forgiveness of the rocketbladez). I am loving these irons and can't wait to take them on the course.

Very similar to what I've been seeing, especially in regards to forgiveness and feel around the face. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

The pro told me that unless I had a swing speed of around 100mph that I needed regular. I thought that to be true with a driver but figured it would be less with an iron, but I don't really know. I warmed up before hitting the irons and then alternated between the two so that wasn't the issue.

My driver swing is 108-110 and my 7i is about 92 i am playing xstiff. i was told something like that last year at local roger dunn so the ordered my ballz in Reg now 9 mo later i had to get new shafts or new clubs

Great to hear your initial range sessions went well! I'm sure you will continue to seee improvement on the course as well, keep us updated as you learn more about your new Rocketbladez!

Grats on the new clubs! Thanks for posting. It looks like your first experience is consistent with what many others have seen - longer, in the air quickly, forgiving on the toe and for low hits, etc. Good stuff. Keep on coming back and telling us more as you continue to game them.

Trying to keep up with the thread is difficult but the information is very in depth, loving the bedtime reading?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Same results I've experienced with miss-hits toward bottom of face & toe, very forgiving. Coincidentally I had a brief case of the 'shanks' at the range this weekend, shots near the hosel are not pretty :sick: but that's to be expected with most irons. Keep us posted once you get out on the course!

As I mentioned earlier, the clubs were waiting for me when I got home from work, 4-AW. Had customers for the side biz coming by so I couldn't go hit them. Hoping to get to the range after work today to go through a bucket and get some thoughts. Initially, they look really nice. Just as people have mentioned, they look a lot better in person as opposed to the pictures first released. The AW is a thing of beauty, I hope it plays well. The clubs swing easily, I can definitely feel the head through the swing, and it seems to want to take an inside-out path without even thinking about it. I got them with the stock stiff Rocketfuel shafts. No launch monitors or anything to get real numbers on, but the flags at the range are at static distances and I'll be able to get a good idea of how these compare distance wise against my 2.0s. And as long as I do my part, I'll hopefully get an idea of how they compare on dispersion, beacuse I know I'll miss some shots and get a chance to see how they do off the toe and low on the face. They look good in the bag, too.

NvYZS.jpg

nT7d0.jpg

htM0.jpg

RCHFM.jpg

Congrats on the new irons, Greg! Hope you hit them well.

Thanks. If they do well today I'll be putting them in play when I visit my parents for Christmas down near Tampa. Hoping to get at least two rounds in.

I just received mine as well Greg. And if that isn't just the default handicap, we should play if you are down here. I am in St Petersburg.

A little off topic..but, here goes. I listened to and/or read the Q & A from the TM folks a couple of weeks back where they talked about the technical stuff associated with the Bladez..and don't remember if they talked about the engineering and thought process (reasoning) behind the selection of the Rocket Fuel as stock shafts. You would think that with a new product with many technical advances that similar attention would be placed on shaft selection. Does anyone recall if that topic has ever been discussed by the manufacturer? I understand that the KBS tour 90 is the stock shaft in the TP version (as well as the R-11)and that many folks prefer that shaft choice when ordering these weapons. If the KBS is so popular it would seem to follow that the KBS would have been an excellent stock offering in the regular Bladez as well? Wondering why it wasn't or why the Rocket Fuels were a "better" option? Perhaps they had a lot of leftover shafts from the 2.0 production and it was a cost saving measure and they simply renamed them?

A little off topic..but, here goes. I listened to and/or read the Q & A from the TM folks a couple of weeks back where they talked about the technical stuff associated with the Bladez..and don't remember if they talked about the engineering and thought process (reasoning) behind the selection of the Rocket Fuel as stock shafts. You would think that with a new product with many technical advances that similar attention would be placed on shaft selection. Does anyone recall if that topic has ever been discussed by the manufacturer? I understand that the KBS tour 90 is the stock shaft in the TP version (as well as the R-11)and that many folks prefer that shaft choice when ordering these weapons. If the KBS is so popular it would seem to follow that the KBS would have been an excellent stock offering in the regular Bladez as well? Wondering why it wasn't or why the Rocket Fuels were a "better" option? Perhaps they had a lot of leftover shafts from the 2.0 production and it was a cost saving measure and they simply renamed them?

Great question. I look forward to seeing if anyone has an answer.

Just as a clarification, the Tour version will have the KBS Tours rather than the Tour 90's.

I think that's a good question, BO. I'm not sure I have an answer though. I know that the low weight shafts seem to be the norm in distance irons these days. My guess is that the higher swing speeds and higher launch are what TM wants off-the-rack consumers to see when trying out these irons.

BO, that is a very good thought/question IMO. I wish I had the answer dude, especially after thinking about it.

I'd add that cost and abundance surely has something to do with it.

As I poster earlier, I put R300 Dynamic Gold in my Rocketbladez at the advice of the fitter at Dick's. He didn't seem overly impressed with the stock regular shafts being put in by TM.

I'd add that cost and abundance surely has something to do with it.

In purchasing for a living, and no doubt that is the case. Basically, would a different shaft (at a higher price) increase TM's revenues enough to validate the switch? Most likely not. The ROI for dealing with a supplier they already have a contract with (whoever is making the Rocketfuel shafts) is much greater than bringing in a different company who hasn't produced shafts a such a high volume for them in the past. Lost of moving parts and trying not to oversimplify, but in the end Supplier X and the Rocketfuel shafts provided a better bang/buck ratio for TM than KBS and a "higher end" shaft.

I don't think we've gotten to the point yet where the average consumer cares about the brand of shaft in their clubs; but that is an entirely different subject worthy of a thread of its own.

Back