Have you had a lesson? Why/Why Not?

I had my third lesson today with the new pro, and I think we're finally getting somewhere.

It amazes me how I over- or under- estimate what my body is doing. Just learning what neutral really feels like is a big help. I haven't a clue how that can be self-taught.

I've had a few lessons about 7 years ago .... the teaching pro didn't give me anything concrete to work on my game. I'm thinking about taking some private lessons again ....... I just need to find a teaching pro.

I think that golf is one of those things like foreign languages, that you are best off picking up young. If you're truly gifted, maybe you can pick it up later without too much trouble. But for most people out there, or at least for me, the golf swing is counterintuitive, awkward, and very difficult to pick up on your own. You need training.

I think that golf is one of those things like foreign languages, that you are best off picking up young. If you're truly gifted, maybe you can pick it up later without too much trouble. But for most people out there, or at least for me, the golf swing is counterintuitive, awkward, and very difficult to pick up on your own. You need training.

And there's no Rosetta Stone!

I have spoken to HUNDREDS of instructors and I must say that not one of them has ever said that they do this. Most work on improving what you have to work with. They do not want to do big swing changes, because most professionals know that students wont stick with it. Our THP Pro is a feel instructor and works with what you have.

I think if you look a little bit Bake, you can find an instructor that can really help. I see this response from a lot of people on forums, but each time it is from someone that has never taken one. I think Andy our pro could find a great pro in your area being that he is from there and will be there next week.
Do you honestly think I havent looked into it? All of the golf pros around here are a bunch of narcisistic snobs who think that their idea of the perfect golf swing is the only right way.
No thanks, I'll stick to the swing that God gave me and Ive crafted over the years.
Id be all for someone who would be willing to help me fix the little flaws in my game, but Im not going to let someone take my swing in a total different direction that forces me to start out at square 1 again.

Like I said, our THP pro will be up there next week, and I am sure he has a referral from his years up there working with people.

Every few lessons my pro pulls out the video camera. That is very helpful to see what is being explained. We warm up, hit a few, get video taped, go inside & analyze, and then go back out to work on it.

Even though my arse always looks HUGE on video... :beat-up:

Camera adds 10 lbs koko and maybe he has 2 pointed at you....hehe

A few years ago, a PGA teaching pro relocated to Vegas from Jupiter? Fla. He opened up an snack shop/arcade/driving range down the road from one of my work places. I would often go in there during lunch and hit balls. If I remember correctly his last name was Christensen. He also had some connection with Ping. We got to know each other to the point where one day he told me if I were to take 8 months of instruction from him @ $2500 a month, he would guarantee to make me a millionaire on the then Senior Tour. I did not bite on his offer, but countered that instead of paying him a monthly fee for instruction, I would give him my first $200,000.00 won, while winning a million dollars on that tour....per his guarantee. We never spoke to each other again. His business failed some years ago, and still sits vacant to this day. :comp:

I haven't taken lessons mostly due to money and time. I would like to take lessons. However, I always "reason" out of it by thinking, "Well, I could pay $50 for a one hour lesson or I could pay $50 and get two rounds of golf...I'll take the rounds of golf." (Please note that most of the courses around me have pretty reasonable greens fees.)

As far as time, well, lets just say that work is crazy right now, and I've never really experienced a "slow" time.

Camera adds 10 lbs koko and maybe he has 2 pointed at you....hehe

Well, that is a much better way of looking at it! lol

I have never taken a lesson- just tried to learn from what I see. I have an uncle who has showed me a few things, mostly driver related, but other than that I learned from playing at a goat track and just messing around trying to hit different shots.

I haven't taken any official lessons but I have gotten some pointers from my recent pro at my GC. That's as close as I've come to lessons. I'm happy most of the time with my swing and I work out and of my swing faults myself.I play close to scratch golf but I'm sure I could be better if I played more than once a week. Once I retire and I can play 5 days a week then maybe I'll take lessons, until then all my extra money goes towards my 5 children and their activities.

Tim

i did and would definitely recommend anyone to! I worked with one/college coach during the winter(in wisconsin) and dropped from a 16handi to an 8 or better
:highfive:

I did and I would recommend them too. I also think everyone is different and if you feel lessons wont help you then yeah dont take them. But I was at such a bad place with my swing and golf I had to do something. That first lesson inside on video was like a revelation. I couldnt belive how ugly my swing was. No wonder I couldnt hit the ball. We worked on my grip, posture, spine angle and pretty much rebuilt my swing. Im making solid iron contact now but still struggle a bit with the over the top move. Thing is lessons take time and commitment. You have to practice what they teach or you waste your money! I did six lessons at a pretty nice place in Delaware and it was well worth it.

Thing is lessons take time and commitment. You have to practice what they teach or you waste your money!

I think that sums it up. Right now, I've decided that lessons aren't in the budget so I've been making my brother play golf with me and give me helpful hints. Suprisingly enough - he's helped a lot.

I want to take lessons...

My question is.. how do you find a good instructor when none of the people you play with have taken lessons [so no one to refer me to someone]. Since lessons cost, I would hate to throw away money on some guy that just wants me or anyone else for that matter to copy tigers swing...

Have a "consultation" with them. Describe what your goals are and what you need help with. See if their instruction matches up with what you are trying to accomplish.

No lessons. I am self taught so the series of jerks and twitches I use as a swing is all my own fault. Honestly, it took me a long time to develop a repeatable swing and I don't think I want anyone else messing with it. My handicap is coming down...if it stops, I might consider it.

yes, when I first started to get the fundamentals down. otherwise self taught.

While I was home I was able to take 2 lessons from my old swing coach. I have been taking lessons since the age of 4. My uncle is a golf coach for the University of Minnesota Morehead and an instructor at the Morehead Country Club. I had him spend and hour with me on 2 seperate days up there and it was the tune up I needed. I too am struggling to find an instructor down here that I gel with and that understands my swing and what I want from my lessons. I know I need it so I am still looking for the right one.

When I first started all I had was this bag of tiger shark lefty clubs some guy gave. Serious ghetto clubs. I took lessons about once a week for 6 or so weeks and quit. I went and bought me a bag of Tommy Armour's and went to play my first round with a friend and that was it for lessons. I had never swung a club in my life before that and my instructor showed me the basics and that's about it. He had me swing a 7i every lesson. I expressed to him that I wasn't looking to turn pro. I just wanted to get in the game. he didn't care so I quit. I had to learn to chip, putt, swing the driver...almost everything on my own. anyway...I'm happy the way it is. I'm actually not that bad considering I only been playing a year. Don't ever underestimate perseverance.

most golfers find it that way,, ARC...as i did. But it gets tougher to improve
once you get your handi lowered, so if you hover around 15 for awhile and
want to improve-then id say go for another lesson!

I have taken a few lessons the past three year seasons from a lady that just tweaks my swing from time to time. I had taken lessons from oa couple of other instructors that weren't the right fit. I went to her and took some lessons. She tweaked my grip and backswing a little and nothing else at first. Then she got me to swing rather than hit. Last year and this year I haven't taken many lessons. Last year I had three, (one early in the spring, mid year and towards the end of the year) and this year I have only had two (both early in the year when I felt like my swing was all over the place. I was an 18 when I started with her and last time handicaps reset I was a 9.

She asked me what my goal was and how much time I had and would practice. She used video tape and a few other techno things to help show me what I was doing but mostly she made sure I had a good grip, set up, posture and backswing (I had a big tendancy to come too far inside on the backswing). I think lessons help but it isn't easy to find someone that it clicks with. I think that connection is important.

Of course. A competent teacher can tell you in 5 minutes what it might take you 5 years to figure out.

Back