A Woman At Augusta - Good or Bad?

My point is: why do you care?

Change will not, and should not come to Augusta. It's a private club. It's their right to be exclusive, just the same as it's your right to complain about being excluded.

that's funny stuff :clapp:

My point is: why do you care?

Change will not, and should not come to Augusta. It's a private club. It's their right to be exclusive, just the same as it's your right to complain about being excluded.

Gummi - I am a champion whiner - trust me on that one. If I were complaining - you would know it. This is just conversation.

My official stance is, like many have said, it is a private club, they can do what they want. There are many 'men only' organizations and many 'women only' organizations. What they choose to do within their PRIVATE club is strictly up to them.

My question for the day is this: What will having a female member at Augusta accomplish? Will it bring world peace? Will it end hunger? Will it give everyone free, immediate, and expert healthcare? No to all. It will accomplish nothing. It won't change how they operate. It won't change the Masters. It won't open the floodgates for every woman who wants to be a member. It won't mean that the next President will be a woman. It will be just one female member at an exclusive golf club. So what. It won't change anything.

I know the first response will be this -- "if it doesn't matter, why don't they have one?" Because what they choose to do within their PRIVATE club is strictly up to them. Why anyone would want to be involved with an organization that doesn't want them is beyond me.

Think about this. How would that first female member be treated? She would be an outcast on the course. She would be an outcast in the clubhouse. I'm willing to bet she would leave the club shortly after joining because of all the crap she would take.

Then here is the perfect scenario. Offer the lone membership to Martha Burke.

Think about this. How would that first female member be treated? She would be an outcast on the course. She would be an outcast in the clubhouse. I'm willing to bet she would leave the club shortly after joining because of all the crap she would take.

I'd be surprised. If the rumors are true, Condi Rice will be the first woman member. I'd like to see anyone try to give her a hard time and if they did, she could handle it.

Bogey - Just curious - did you think women are shrinking violets?

I'd be surprised. If the rumors are true, Condi Rice will be the first woman member. I'd like to see anyone try to give her a hard time and if they did, she could handle it.

Bogey - Just curious - did you think women are shrinking violets?

I'm willing to bet the old guys there will give anyone a hard time. I'll also bet that some of them will threaten to pull out of the club if a women is let in.

Shrinking violets?? :confused2:

Then here is the perfect scenario. Offer the lone membership to Martha Burke.

She wouldn't want it. Then she couldn't b*tch because she wasn't allowed in. Those are the people that drive me nuts. The ones that b*tch because they aren't allowed to do something then when they are allowed they just say ok great.

To be clear, I am not advocating the position that Augusta National must admit women to the membership. I am saying that they should admit women. The distinction is significant. Taking it one step further, it is a bit silly that they not do so, and I can understand why, simply as a matter of principle, it would irk those whom it irks.

One other programming note -- I find the idea that we owe a debt of gratitude to the membership at Augusta National for their self-sacrifice for the good of the game completely unpersuasive. I love the tournament too, but please, let's be serious. There can be few more prestigious country club memberships in the world of golf than membership at Augusta National. Why? Not because it's in the hinterlands of Georgia, or because of the pretty flowers, I assure you. It is because of the tournament that is held each year on its grounds. One established by Bobby Jones, one that has featured the greatest golfers in the greatest contests in the history of the game, one in which every professional and amateur golfer of any aspiration dreams of competing. One of the four majors, perhaps the greatest of them, and the only one held at the same course every year. That magnificence all accrues to the benefit and prestige of those lucky few who hold a locker room key. That is why they host the tournament and why they so carefully patrol its broadcast, even when it requires them to limit advertising revenue. They covet that prestige; it is not charitable giving.

While it may not be WSE and i agree with almost everything you said, if the Masters Tourny was stopped this year, and never held there again, Augusta would still be the club it is 100 years from now. Part of it would be the history sure, but also, part of it is the exclusivity. Some of the members stay as members because of the exclusivity.

Though I have no real strong feelings on this issue one way or the other, I would like to point out the following.

Some of the arguments on this thread sound eerily similar those made by Augusta National pre-1990 in support of their stance to deny Black members.

On another issue addressed on this thread, while it is true that fans are able to enjoy the Masters with much less commercial interruptions than other major sporting events, it is also true that Augusta National's popularity allows for its members to pay extremely low annual fees ($10,000) while having world-renowned clubhouse, greens keepers, and golf course architectural revisions.

I just mean to point out that the Club does receive benefits from its self-chosen national spotlight AND that part of the spotlight shines on its Men-only policy.

Thus, though Augusta National holds a DEFINITE a legal right in their policy, they must be willing to accept public opinion in the same way that Lindsay Lohan must accept swarms of paparazzi when she wears skirts without underwear.

While the annual fees may be low, have you seen their iniation fees?

Back