A Woman At Augusta - Good or Bad?

Ok - Back on topic. I'd like to ask a question and please don't be offended. I'm really curious about this. Augusta probably wouldn't accept most of you men as members either - does that bother you?

Nope, doesn't bother me. I'd be honored if they even considered me (assuming I could afford it)

You too? Ok, all men who think women shouldn't be allowed to belong to Augusta and are vertically challenged - please raise your hand? Wonder what the connection is. While we're at it - why are so many former military guys on golf forums and why do so many golfer guys like heavy metal music?

Vertically Chalenged - 5'7"
Military - no
Metal - I like all kinds of music

Care to elaborate? Like having to put your bathing suit on to swim? Or the club having to add a ladies locker room? Or wait - adding women's apparel to the pro shop?

Sure Diane, at the risk of being called a bigot or racist I will say I think a lot of times people that say “It’s not fair.” are often members of other groups that they don’t think will be touched; such as a ladies group or a minority group. For example, all of a sudden you will have men wanting to join women’s groups out of spite. The beauty of this country is freedom. By kowtowing to special interest groups we only give away part of our freedom and therefore further enslave ourselves.

I'm not judging - just curious. I find it fascinating that some of you think courses are elitist for requiring a collared shirt and not allowing jeans, but think it's ok to exclude one segment of the population.

Sure Diane, at the risk of being called a bigot or racist I will say I think a lot of times people that say “It’s not fair.” are often members of other groups that they don’t think will be touched; such as a ladies group or a minority group. For example, all of a sudden you will have men wanting to join women’s groups out of spite. The beauty of this country is freedom. By kowtowing to special interest groups we only give away part of our freedom and therefore further enslave ourselves.

I'll drink to that! :clapp:

I'm not judging - just curious. I find it fascinating that some of you think courses are elitist for requiring a collared shirt and not allowing jeans, but think it's ok to exclude one segment of the population.

I agree with that to an extent Diane. However I think most of the complaints about attire are geared towards public courses on the forums.

For the record, I think courses should have a dress code as well. Even the public courses.

I agree with that to an extent Diane. However I think most of the complaints about attire are geared towards public courses on the forums.

I know. I guess people choose their battles.

Diane, I wasn’t directing my comment about judging at you, instead I was trying to state that often my viewpoint would be construed as being bigoted or racist.

I agree with you that logically someone that complains about a course requiring a certain attire but then says the exclusion of a gender or race is ok doesn’t make sense. I personally am glad the club I belong to allows women. I love playing golf with my wife and look forward to the day when my daughter is old enough to play.

That being said I have several friends that are members at an all male squash/social club that I have frequented as a guest. I have a great time being there with just men. I am assuming women also like the idea of having clubs that are all female. It provides a certain type of comradely that you can’t get at mixed clubs.

I have a great time being there with just men. I am assuming women also like the idea of having clubs that are all female. It provides a certain type of comradely that you can’t get at mixed clubs.

I agree. My only issue is when business is discussed on the course. Think about it - it's difficult enough for many women in high level positions and then all the guys make a deal on a course that won't allow women. My understanding is the Garden City Golf Club has a strict policy about not conducting business on the course because of the laws that allow them to have only men as members. I wonder if the rule is followed.

smileyvault-popcorn.gif

By the way, at the risk of running into the “classic” debate argument from the movie thread…

Don I think your reply was absolutely CLASSIC! :banana:

I agree. My only issue is when business is discussed on the course. Think about it - it's difficult enough for many women in high level positions and then all the guys make a deal on a course that won't allow women. My understanding is the Garden City Golf Club has a strict policy about not conducting business on the course because of the laws that allow them to have only men as members. I wonder if the rule is followed.

First of all that law is exactly the problem I am talking about. We are giving our freedoms away at every turn. My guess is that rule is not followed at all. That being said, do you think forcing an all men’s club to open its doors to women is going to lead those same men to discuss business opportunities with the women that join?

I think that is a two way street. When women are together they discuss business just like when men are together.

Those wealthy boys who run Augusta can do what ever they want. Makes little difference to me, except for the fact they all probably have forgotten they had a Mom. Until a boy can become a girl scout, and vice versa, private organizations will always have a leg to stand on.

This does remind of a funny situation that happened back in my high school days. The whole thing came about during a business class, where we were all discussing "loop holes". I have a friend who decided to see what would happen if he were to run for a local beauty pageant title, that was a prelude to the Miss Oregon competition. The rules were pretty straight forward. The participant could not be married, had to have a certain GPA, had be at least 17 years old, not be pregnant and a host of other entry rules. However, no where did the rules actually stipulate the participant had to be a female. He actually made it through a parts of the competition, but was sent packing after the local big shot town women folk had their "Tea Party" for the participants. He did make the cut during the prior swim suit competition however. :banana: :clapp:

For the record, I think courses should have a dress code as well. Even the public courses.

Me too MO. I mean, what's so hard about a collared shirt? You can get one at Old Navy for the same price (or cheaper) than that .38 Special concert t-shirt. You wouldn't wear a t-shirt to a wedding or to church. And you wouldn't wear a suit to the beach. Different apparal for different activities.

And while we're at it, I want to b****-slap people who wear pajamas in public, especially on planes. When did we, as a country, get too farking fat and lazy to put on pants?

And while we're at it, I want to b****-slap people who wear pajamas in public, especially on planes. When did we, as a country, get too farking fat and lazy to put on pants?

Right on Harry! Although I suspect that's a generation thing because I have yet to see anyone older than say 25 doing that. Either way it's lame, IMO. I always go out the door with the attitude of "If I was to meet the President today or If I were interviewed on TV today, would I want to be wearing this?"

Harry
Coming from the guy whos tag line with no pants...hehe

The part that gets me is that some golfers base their entire game on tradition. The fact that there clubs are made from here or forged from this, yet laugh at the tradition of a collared shirt and play in a tee shirt and flip flops.

THere is nothing in any law that I know of that says a private club has to change its rules. There are atleast 100 male only golf courses and hundreds of more women only facilities. Yet because the Masters is at this one, people complain.

Heck no. I don't have enough money to be a member there. If I did I would build my own golf course for men and women and all of us would swim naked.....:alien2::banana::blob::clapp:

Ok - Back on topic. I'd like to ask a question and please don't be offended. I'm really curious about this. Augusta probably wouldn't accept most of you men as members either - does that bother you?

If they let me in they would let anybody in. That's too low of a standard for me. I would go somewhere else.

I have yet to see anyone older than say 25 doing that.

Oh, I have. Lots. Probably not into 50s, but I've seen plenty of slovenly 40-somethings. Slovenly moms and dads in PJs or sweats with their slovenly children getting on planes.

Me too Harry. Its a ridiculous epidemic.

Oh, I have. Lots. Probably not into 50s, but I've seen plenty of slovenly 40-somethings. Slovenly moms and dads in PJs or sweats with their slovenly children getting on planes.

That makes me want to hurl, I can't believe that people wear those in public.

Those people are all in the "Wear PJ's and Fly" Club and I will defend their right to look stupid down to my last drop of patriotic blood!!! They deserve their exclusive rights to this particular stupid looking style and I, for one, will never stop fighting against the tyranny that wants to squash their ugly fad!

Also, it is easier to identify the ones we really don't want to breed!:banana:

YES. This is america, equal rights for all genders and races, no metter the circumstances. /thread

Back