The 2009 Open Championship [spoilers]

I can't beleive mike weir shot a 78 today.. he is the worst for falling apart after the 1st round.

Tiger goes to +5. Someone find a fork, it's getting close.

Watson burns the edge on 17 and taps in for par. Not bad for a guy who's almost 60 after such a horrific start.

It's getting even uglier: double bogey on 13 to go to +7 for Tiger.

Can I change my contest picks?

(He has time left, but he's got to get the train back on the tracks quickly).

Watson drains another million footer on 18 to tie for the lead at -5!

Smallie, you make just READING this thread exciting!

Well, I was kind of exaggerating on the length of the putts! But they were lengthy though!

Tom Watson has been awesome to watch...he was one of my favs when growing up. Draining the "field goals"...Im loving this so far...

He had to have made at least 150 feet worth of putts today.

But I don't like to watch when he has the 3 to 5 footers.

I'm glad our tee time is 3:00 tomorrow, we can watch round 3 beforehand here.

Any chance Tiger can birdie the last three holes to sneak in?

well, there's one. Two more to go. +6 for Tiger.

1 down.

Edit - Smalls beat me.

Only 20 players under par now.

Tiger is over the green (barely) in two on #17. HAS to get up and down for a bird. If anyone can hole it for eagle, this would be a good time for some dramatics.

And there is still the ever so slight chance the cut line falls to +5.

better luck next year Tiger...

Not a very good chance on 18. Bet he doesn't leave it short.

(Although, he may not want to blow it by in case the cut comes back to him)

Now it's just a wait and see thing. He needs quite a few to fall back and hope no one else moves up.

If Watson can keep it going on the weekend though, I doubt ratings will suffer much with Tiger gone.

Ha ha, the Watson bounce!

"bounce"?

AHHHH I see. Yeah, Shouldn't take much of a hit if he can hold on to the lead or stay reasonably close through Saturday and has a chance on Sunday.

It would be so cool, but highly improbable for him. Short putts are likely to become an issue.

I'm kinda hoping the weather turns really windy, rainy and cold for the weekend, that would be to his advantage in this tournament. Might not be enough, but it would definitely help. (They did mention his new hip, which might possibly be adversely affected by the cold. But still, I think it would still be a plus for him).

Last edited:
Back