TaylorMade RocketBladez - Review Thread

The "in between" flexes are the fun ones to try during an iron fitting as they can real dial you in!

Its what I love in particular about KBS offerings!

I didn't swing out of my shoes, but it was definitely smooth and authoritative! Pretty much par for the course with the 4 iron off the tees today - 225 yards of carry. I still can't believe how soft it landed.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD
NICE!!! I know exactly what you mean on the landing, the fact that I can hit the 4i and its not only long but HIGH and landing soft is a new one on me. Plus, its just a fun club off the tee IMO.
Punches: punch outs with my 5i and 7i are amazingly easy! Effortless and able to play a draw/fade on command. On the 18th hole I was under the trees between the 9th and 18th fairways, sitting about 170 yards out, where I needed to hit a good 15-20 yard draw if I wanted to get some distance with my punch and be in the middle of the fairway. Hit it exactly as I had envisioned and was left with a 60 yard shot. I know that someone else commented about how easy these clubs are to use for punches, but I am finding myself saving strokes consistently when I am out of position.

Controlled swings (80-90%): I mentioned this a couple days ago, but I am a firm believer that controlled swings seem to ideal for these clubs. Some of this may have to do with me making better contact when I do this (meaning it's not the clubs and has more to do with an improved swing/contact), but I've hit enough shots by now that I'm beginning to make the controlled shot my norm -- and not seeing any drop in distance. When I swing full, I seem to get the same distance result, but I might have a higher ball flight or might draw/fade the ball depending on what I'm trying to play. I'm going to continue playing around with this, but I'm curious what the rest of you are seeing and whether you have tried this too....?

Stevie, first, great write up dude. Nicely done.

On the punches the 6i has been the go to for me here just like it is in my i20's and I've hit some REALLY fun shots, I love playing the little punch shots around here, especially with the wind up as it is this time of year around here.

On the controlled shots, I know what you're saying. For me its a matter of controlled just being me not letting my swing get too dang long like it can sometimes. What I've seen with these so far is that when I DO let it get too long, I'm hitting a high hard draw. Keep it in the groove more compact and my contact is better and I'm getting towering balls that land with butterfly feet. When I get too long/aggressive though, I've been seeing a LOT of those high hard draws, was blowing my mind for a while until a buddy said something during my last round.

Some great stuff lately gents. Should be in the 40's again here on Sunday and that means I'll finally get to get out and about again!

Great stuff stevie - sounds like we had very similar rounds.

My favorite reaction today was on an approach shot I had on a long par 4 - 180 yards to the center, uphill and into a slight breeze. I had a 25ft pine about 20 yards in front of me so I just wanted to be sure I got over it and leave myself with a short pitch into the green. So I obliterated a 7 iron and it carried all the way to the front of the green. The random I was playing with said "man you hit that 4 iron nice and high!" - I turned to him and showed him the number on the club and he couldn't believe it. Frankly, neither could I

As for challenging trees and other obstructions, I look for ways to do this every time I'm out. If someone I'm playing with is locked up, I'll drop a ball and try to play over the obstruction. I think the best shot I hit like this was a 6i from 160 yards out where I had to start the ball low under a branch 15-20 yards in front of me and then carry a 20-30 foot tree about 100 yards out. Basically a punch that balloons up. Not only did I pull the shot off, I ended up 10 feet from the hole and made the birdie. Trust me, I was the most surprised person in my group. When I get to that spot now I drop a ball and try to recreate it...I've come close, but have never been on the green again.

Love the punch shot with these clubs...but I've started going with my 5i more than my 7i, as I would previously hit 7i with my old clubs and sometimes this gets the ball up too quickly.

Oh okay, I didn't know that. Anyone else seen this? Wedge flex only for the 55 SW.
I tried to call TM yesterday to ask about this but their CS was closed for the holidays.

Will finally get the bladez out of the box and onto the course tomorrow morning. Completely standard with stock shafts (excepting the fact that they are left-handed!)

Expecting dry (which given that this is the wettest year on record in the UK, is a pleasant surprise) and cool weather.

Will update, post round.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Part of me is wishing I would have ordered the SW.. I need a 54/55 now to replace the 56

TapaTalk from the iPhone

Part of me is wishing I would have ordered the SW.. I need a 54/55 now to replace the 56

TapaTalk from the iPhone
Just go have it bent a degree brosef.

Why didn't I think of that haha. Thank you sir

TapaTalk from the iPhone

Because you're like me and like to find ways for new shiny things! haha

Expecting dry (which given that this is the wettest year on record in the UK, is a pleasant surprise) and cool weather.

I was in Leicester at the end of November and I thought I was going drown! I've been there half a dozen times in November and it was never like that!

Just go have it bent a degree brosef.

Interesting. Can Cleveland wedges be bent? Would it be odd if my 52 was bent to a 50 and my 56 was bent to a 55? Would only really be an issue if I went to sell them, right?

My 56* 588 is a one dot
My 52* 588 is a two dot

I would leave the 60 alone.

Will finally get the bladez out of the box and onto the course tomorrow morning. Completely standard with stock shafts (excepting the fact that they are left-handed!)

Will update, post round.

What did you pay for your Rocketbladez with the standard shafts on them - just out of interest?

And I know what you mean about weather. Vast majority of courses in Essex have been closed since Sat/Sun of last week. I've not been able to get out on the course with mine yet.

Got a tee time booked for Monday 31st at 10.34am and assuming the course is open I am playing no matter what the weather. At the moment it's looking like some rain and 7 or 8*c - fingers crossed :)

REFERENCE LINKS

REFERENCE INFO
Scoring Avg: Low 90s, high 80’sTypical Miss: Off the heel / block rightDriver Swing Speed: 95mph7i Swing Speed: 83mph

Conditions / Ball:
34*, frost delay, first person off, clear skies, wet but playable course. I tried to play two balls, Bridgestone 330 and RocketBallz, but had a 3some in a cart behind me so it wasn't always possible.

Session:
It has been Noah and Arc like wet in Oregon this year and a little executive course close to my home is probably the best bet for getting out, so that’s where I was. The par 4s range from about 310 to 340, so it is pretty conducive to iron testing.

The goal for today was two-fold, focus on the controlled swings and try again with the 4i.

Long Irons (4,5):
Surprise of all surprises, I figured out a way to hit the 4i. I intended to make controlled 80% swings like we’ve discussed in this thread but I think it was turning out like a 9:3 wind swing instead. I hit the 4i off the tee at every par 4 and didn’t miss a single fairway. Let me repeat that – I didn’t miss a single fairway. If you’ve followed my other reports you realize this is the stuff of near miracles.

I made of a point of choking down on the 4i, just to the top of the graphic above the “T” of Taylor Made on the grip (see picture below). This and the 9:3 swing was producing lower shots that were straight as an arrow. Like not a foot of movement left or right. As for trajectory, think perfect trajectory into a stiff wind, definitely lower than I’m accustomed to with these irons. Every single one of them was between 185-190 in the air (with course conditions there was zero rollout). So that’s 205-210 in the summer, which is still a club less than I think I should get with this club. On the other hand 205-210 is about one club more – or an acceptable distance – from my summer 5i distance. I think this is all about managing expectations. I may not be hitting the ball as far as I can with these clubs but I was hitting the ball an appropriate distance vs my old clubs and they were straight.
Spoiler

MEMO0074_zps88436406.jpg

I hit one 5i the entire round. First tee, the 3some of older regulars who were letting my play through and were giving me a little crap watched as I stepped up and without any warm up put a great 80% swing on the club. The ball went high, straight and 185 right down the middle. They literally gave me a golf clap and started joking about how they were happy I was playing through instead of with them.

Mid Irons (6,7,8):
Because I played so many 4i off the tee there were not too many of these shots. No 7i that I remember. I had a very nice 80% 6i to 15 feet left of the pin, 173 away. I tried to play a recovery hook from the rough with the 6i (following an attempted muscled up 4i). The ball came out beautifully but didn’t turn as much as intended. I had a 80% 8i about 140 to about 10’ from the hole. I also had some bad 8i shots where I tried to hit full shots. That was on me.

Scoring Irons (9, PW, AW, SW):
More or less I was getting the same thing here as I got with the 8i.

The 9:3 or 80% swing was producing a reliably lower trajectory which changed how the ball was accepted into the greens. Whereas before I have seen 6i and 7i stopping within inches of the pitch mark, today I was getting bounce and hops to about 15’ with the shorter irons.

I tried to hit a flop shot with the wedge from the rough over sand to a short sided pin and the sole dug in, a first for me.

I saw some goodness with the SW out of the greenside traps. I’m seeing that I can control trajectory very nicely by adjusting wrist hinge. If I take more of a pronounced sweeping swing I get lower running balls out of the sand. If I hinge my wrists quickly the ball comes out higher and softer. I was able to use those techniques to my advantage on the course. Good stuff, at least for me.

Conclusion:
The lowlight of the round was me. I figured out a way to hit the 4i and lost it with the short clubs. It would be a miracle if I figured out a way to be more consistent.

The highlight of the round was the 4i. I am glad I’m sitting down to write that…never thought those words come from me. I still hope get better with the club, to hit it further with the more normal trajectory. But what I saw today was really impressive. You know those times when you have the big pressure tee shot, you don’t need super distance but you MUST be in the fairway? Today’s 4i experience was built for that situation.

Last edited:
Glad to hear you are getting control of that 4 iron. She's an amazing club.

Hey guys, I've read all the posts on this thread and very impressed with the information. I'm looking to buy a new set of irons soon. My current irons are Henry Griffits, 15 years old. I will shoot in the low 90s most of the time. I may play only once a month, then play 3 or 4 times a month. Do you guys think these irons would be a good fit for me ? I need some forgiveness, at times a lot . Thanks for any help.

Hey guys, I've read all the posts on this thread and very impressed with the information. I'm looking to buy a new set of irons soon. My current irons are Henry Griffits, 15 years old. I will shoot in the low 90s most of the time. I may play only once a month, then play 3 or 4 times a month. Do you guys think these irons would be a good fit for me ? I need some forgiveness, at times a lot . Thanks for any help.

Absolutely, but I'd recommend you try before you buy just to make sure. $800 is a lot to spend on irons, so you'd want to be confident with your purchase!

What did you pay for your Rocketbladez with the standard shafts on them - just out of interest?

And I know what you mean about weather. Vast majority of courses in Essex have been closed since Sat/Sun of last week. I've not been able to get out on the course with mine yet.

Got a tee time booked for Monday 31st at 10.34am and assuming the course is open I am playing no matter what the weather. At the moment it's looking like some rain and 7 or 8*c - fingers crossed :)

479 for 5 down to AW. From golf support.

Should be interesting going on course with untried bats, got them on Dec17th, before going away for Christmas...just took the plastic off.

Absolutely, but I'd recommend you try before you buy just to make sure. $800 is a lot to spend on irons, so you'd want to be confident with your purchase!

I've actually thought about going all in, going to the Taylormade Performance Lab in Georgia to get fitted. I know, that's a lot of money, but I want to be sure they fit. I don't buy new clubs very often, so I figure it would be worth it.

First, welcome to THP!

Second, as with any piece of equipment and especially coming off a set that you've gamed for so long, your best bet is to go get fit or AT LEAST go somewhere where you can hit several different sets and see what YOU like the best and what feels best. There is no doubt in my mind that the Bladez are a very nice set and pack quite a bit of forgiveness into them (especially low on the face and off the toe as well), but everyone is different and there are a LOT of great sets out there.

I've actually thought about going all in, going to the Taylormade Performance Lab in Georgia to get fitted. I know, that's a lot of money, but I want to be sure they fit. I don't buy new clubs very often, so I figure it would be worth it.

If I lived anywhere near one of the big manufacturers' sites, I would do the same thing!

Just to let everyone know I ordered 4-gw yesterday from diehardsports on eBay for $540. That's the best price Ive found anywhere so I will report back when I get them :)

The 9:3 or 80% swing was producing a reliably lower trajectory which changed how the ball was accepted into the greens. Whereas before I have seen 6i and 7i stopping within inches of the pitch mark, today I was getting bounce and hops to about 15’ with the shorter irons.

Great report tequila. Sounds like you saw some similar results as I've been mentioning when taking a more controlled swing. I didn't see a lower trajectory, unless I was intentionally trying to hit it low, so can't say that I saw the same results there....but the dead-straight flight IS something I do see when taking a controlled swing.

I'm jumping out again tomorrow in similar conditions to what you were in today. Cold, not nearly as wet as when I played Friday, and 5-10 mph winds. Not ideal, but I definitely expect to score well and to play around with the controlled swing a little more.

479 for 5 down to AW. From golf support.

Should be interesting going on course with untried bats, got them on Dec17th, before going away for Christmas...just took the plastic off.

Decent price considering you got the AW as well.

Most of the big stores in the UK are selling them at £549 for 4-SW with Rocketfuelz shafts.

Best of the luck with your new sticks :)

Just to let everyone know I ordered 4-gw yesterday from diehardsports on eBay for $540. That's the best price Ive found anywhere so I will report back when I get them :)

Do yourself a favour and check serial numbers with Taylormade when they turn up - just make sure they are the genuine article.

Done it myself before and ordered from the cheapest place I could find. Never used them before, and found out after the event that they were based in China and knocking out fakes.

Back