Rory considering skipping Olympics

Yeah that's crazy.. With all the seemingly bad things going on in America. It's still pretty damn good. We don't have to worry with things like this.

I think I can solve his problem, just get his US Citizenship and he can play for us :)

It will be sad if this happens. Politics, friendships or what ever.... A sad day for Olympics, golf, and its global fan base of our sport

To me it is no different than who they represent at the presidents cup

I actually disagree with this partly because he will never play in the Presidents Cup. In the Ryder Cup it is team Europe. For the Olympics there are huge political ramifications considering the lines between Ireland and Northern Ireland. Representing England he would certainly alienate most of Ireland.

Personally I think it is smart for him to stay out of it. I wonder what Graeme McDowell's stance will be on it?

I actually disagree with this partly because he will never play in the Presidents Cup. In the Ryder Cup it is team Europe. For the Olympics there are huge political ramifications considering the lines between Ireland and Northern Ireland. Representing England he would certainly alienate most of Ireland.

Personally I think it is smart for him to stay out of it. I wonder what Graeme McDowell's stance will be on it?

and representing Ireland would alienate Northern Ireland.

G-Mac believes it should be the Olympic committee's decision. He's said it before. I think the fact that not even the Olympic committee makes the decision about Northern Ireland athletes, just shows how major this decision is.

Wait, there is going to be golf in the Olympics? Awesome.

and representing Ireland would alienate Northern Ireland.

G-Mac believes it should be the Olympic committee's decision. He's said it before. I think the fact that not even the Olympic committee makes the decision about Northern Ireland athletes, just shows how major this decision is.

Agreed. Either way which ever country he would choose, he would alienate another.

I agree with you on the Olympic Committee not deciding either. There are ramifications on some many different levels, I don't think any of them want to touch it with a 10 foot pole.

I hope he plays. It would be nice to see all the best players compete in the Olympics.

I hope he plays. It would be nice to see all the best players compete in the Olympics.

Frankly, I think it would be nicer to see amateurs play in the Olympics.

Frankly, I think it would be nicer to see amateurs play in the Olympics.
This idea interests me.. I don't think it's a bad idea.

I think he should skip. It just puts an unnecessary foul mood on something special

Like basketball and hockey, I'm glad pros play. Appeals to me much much much more.
I like the pros playing but what if ever country put in the top ranked amature on the team? It would probably never happen though.

why is there even a question about who he would represent? he's from North Ireland, so he should represent NI.

Like basketball and hockey, I'm glad pros play. Appeals to me much much much more.

I think all of the proliferation of professional athletes taking over has totally cheapened the Olympics.

why is there even a question about who he would represent? he's from North Ireland, so he should represent NI.

.......Northern Ireland is not represented in the Olympics.

There is alot of time between now and then, I think he will play

just one of those things, i suppose

I'm originally from N. Ireland and unfortunately what should be a simple decision is far from that. As a Northern Irishman, Rory is a citizen of the UK and even though the team is called Team GB (Great Britain doesn't include N. Ireland - the full name for the UK is the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland), it includes everyone from the UK and therefore Rory should be included in Team GB.

That's the simple part however, as we all know, the politics of N. Ireland make things a lot more complicated. Rory's Catholic by birth, although he's not religious himself, and many Catholics align themselves much more with the Republic of Ireland than with the UK. Therefore if Rory decides to play for Team GB there's the potential for a lot of kick back from the Catholic half of N. Ireland as well as from people from the Republic. On the other hand, if he decides to play for Ireland then he'll get a lot of kick back from the Protestant side of the N. Ireland as well as, potentially, the rest of the UK.

Now if all of this was limited to verbal abuse then I think he's big enough to be able to put up with all of that. However, again with this being N. Ireland, there's potentially a much larger threat of this becoming more physical, with actual physical attacks and death threats not being out of the question. It is therefore understandable that he may elect to not play for either country to avoid a lot of hassle, although that of course would be a great shame. I don't envy him the decision that's got to be made.

I think he truly cares about the people he is going to P off so e is struggling with the decision.

TTing

First up, these guys shouldn't be allowed to compete in the olympics at all.

Second, I understand his situation. It's a tough one, but it's not like he'll be leaving Team GB without a player.

This situation is so messed up. I do not envy him this one bit.

Back