Adams has a Chipper

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
I suppose if you had room in your bag for it, or wanted to replace your 8i, it could be a viable choice. Darn 14 club rule again...lol :clapp:

I often think if we will ever see the day when a putter becomes obsolete in favor of some sort of chipper.

Last edited:
Nice looking club, reminds me a lot of the Cleveland Niblick like you said.

It is cool but doesn't look as good as the niblick does. I know JB loves his.

Doesn't look nearly as good as the niblick. It doesn't surprise me that this would happen quickly- the companies wouldn't let Cleveland have the only legitimate high end chipper out there.

Nice thought, but another club I don't get to consider.

yeah ive seen those on ebay. theyve been selling for around $50-$60 both used and new

My ex BIL brought one of these down for me to try out. Handed it to me on the fourth hole today. Used it the rest of the day and loved it. It even works in the sand when you have a good lie and even better in traps where the sand is either packed down or hardpan. Jacqui gets to try this one out to see if it helps her out and if she likes it (she has more trouble than I do with chipping) then either I'll get another one or she will. But someone is going to use this Adams chipper.

Yes. It can. Atleast the Niblick can be.

Last edited:
I didn't try any full shots with it, but I will.

What sold me though was I did not chunk a single chip today with it. But you have to get used to the heavier clubhead. I did hit some further than intended.

I saw this club on my last trip to GG and agree the Nibick is a much better looking club. Still very tempted to get the Cleveland!

Here's the pics of the Adams chipper I received this weekend. I'm going to have to figure out something Callaway for the ex BIL for this! People say the Cleveland looks better, but I do like the looks of this more. Maybe I am secretly an Adams fan!? I love the feel of the grip. Quite unlike anything I've used before.

CP7211306.jpg
CP7211311.jpg

CP7211308.jpg
CP7211309.jpg

Is it the same length as the Cleveland version? Only reason I ask is while I can see the benefits of using one, it is a tad too short for me on a full swing so it would only be used around greens making me lose out a full approach somewhere, someday.....proably the same day I put it in the bag too.......

Yes I realize you could re-shaft but then you would loose some of the good "chippy-ness" right?

I took this to the practice green this evening. First off, it is good for what it's purpose is: as a chipper. I tried some full swings (well, really half swings) and couldn't get it done. Also, the hosel is not the same as the Cleveland hosel: it's more like a putter hosel, and I think you could snap the head off if you hit full shots with this club. The Niblick looks more like an iron hosel and would hold up to full shots. The pictures are here for the hosel comparison.

Chippers.jpg

From top: Cleveland Golf’s Niblick, Adams Golf’s Idea a30S Chipper, and Odyssey’s Marxman X-Act

That said, I can flat out chip with this thing. I really like it. I just won't be hitting anything other than chips with it. (It works out of the sand in certain situations too). If my wife likes it too, it's hers. And I will check out the Niblick to see if I like it. Otherwise I will get another Adams.

EDIT: I found a better picture that shows this in better detail than the pics I had up previously.

Last edited:
That is the problem with it smalls. Both the Adams and the Odyssey are there for just chipping. The Niblick is a whole different animal. I would have also liked to see the other two brands going deep with the grooves like the Niblick.

I'm resisting the urge to get a Nibilick just yet. Not sure what I'd use it for. I love chipping with my hybrid for bump and run type shots and I'm good at using wedges and irons for traditional chipping.

thanks,
I am not sure what I DONT use mine for other than bunker shots. hehe

thanks,
I am not sure what I DONT use mine for other than bunker shots. hehe

hmmmm...now you have me thinking about this more.

Great write up JB. I'm going to go check it out this weekend. Now the only question is which club do I replace in my bag if I buy one? Might have to take out my 5w.

I took out my 9 iron.

interesting...thanks JB

Under what circumstances do you use a chipper? Is it a club I need? My father said he had one he doesn't use if I want it. I don't know what brand it is though.

Under what circumstances do you use a chipper? Is it a club I need? My father said he had one he doesn't use if I want it. I don't know what brand it is though.

To chip :D

For reasons I'll never understand, a lot of people have a devil of a time chipping.

Back