David Frederick

Reaction score
Handicap
I have used interlocking grip since I started playing at the beginning of this year. Other than not hitting the ball as long as I would like, I have been fairly happy with my progress. Yesterday at the range I decided to hit a few with a baseball grip with my left thumb into my right palm. Felt better and went about half club longer on the 7 iron I was hitting. Anyone else make that switch and did it help or just beginners luck? Thanks, David

I have tried it here and there and I did not have any luck so I have gone back and stayed with the interlock grip. That is the one that works for me. I would try and see what works best for you.

Good luck!

Sent from my Liquid JB Gnex

When I first started golfing as a kid I used the baseball grip and always had a big slice. About 2 years ago I finally switched to an overlap grip and the difference for me is much better. I feel I have more control over the club and more distance. But that's just me.

I used the interlock grip for many, many years, but this year I decided to commit to a better grip which is the ten finger grip. After struggling with being able to get my bottom hand in the correct position, I tried the ten finger grip and it was much easier to get the bottom hand in the correct position. I haven't looked back.

Last edited:
I have used a ten finger grip for as long as i have played (25+ years). No issues here.

I've used a baseball grip for my entire golfing life. Talking with my instructor at my first lesson ever a few weeks ago, he said that it was a very good neutral grip and actually, worked very well for golfers if you are comfortable doing it. I think the big thing is having that "neutral" grip. If you feel comfortable with it and it's not messing up your game, I would stick with it. But you always have your old grip to fall back on if things go awry.

I have always used the baseball grip. I tried the interlocking grip but never felt right and I couldnt control the head. It would twist on impact sometimes too.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Playing baseball for 18 years every other grip felt foreign to me and I just couldn't get comfortable with anything but baseball grip. As others have said I bury my left thumb into the palm of my right hand but I grip it just like a baseball bat other than that. It seems to work or me. I feel like I can't get any club head speed with interlock or over lap.

Right on! I think it is worth a shot for a round or two. Thanks.

I started playing with the baseball grip years ago....and I would agree that you get a little more power, but the problem is you usually give up some control....one of the reasons to interlock or overlap is to allow the hands to work together and when you go with the baseball grip sometimes they fight each other a bit and cause errant shots.

growing up playing baseball my whole life, it was only natural I used the baseball grip when I first started golfing. I tried all the different grips and none ever felt as comfortable as the baseball grip. I do like to use an overlapping grip when I putt though

I like the way it feels and have been messing around with it again. I fall back to interlocking.

I go interlocking. For me the baseball grip feels less stable.

That made me laugh. I feel much too wristy with the ten finger grip, overlap is what I use but I don't have very large hands.

Baseball grip didn't help, I still suck.

LOL! That was funny. You should experiment with different grips till you find what works best for you. I'm a firm believer that golf is totally what works best for you.

One of My regular playing partners moved from overlap to baseball grip a couple of years ago (because of a tendon strain in his hand). His handicap dropped from 12 to 7 in 6 months...all due to better iron play. He would never switch back.

Went in to play 9 last night, and as I was paying, the pro/manager and another guy were talking about grips. The pro told the guy if he's played softball for 20 years, why not try the baseball grip. I chimed in that I played ball from PeeWee leagues, up through high school, then switched to softball in the military and didn't quit until I picked up my clubs again in 2005. That's almost 40 years of swinging a bat (before my knees couldn't take it anymore).

I tried it on a few balls on the range, and although I despised how it actually felt (not much confidence), I couldn't disagree with the results. However, I just couldn't make it work on my irons--big, giant draws.
I went with it on the first tee and hit one with just the tiniest of baby fade. On tees 2, 3, 5, 6, and 8, (4 & 9 aren't driving holes) nothing but straight as an arrow rockets. I think I was even getting a tad more power because I was hitting the Wilson 50 and knocked all of them at LEAST to the same point I hit other balls and the drive on 8 went a good bit further than I'm used to seeing.

Still, I don't like the feel in the backswing, and I have to resist my old urge to fight the feeling mid-swing, but the feeling from impact through the follow-through is pretty much the same as if I was swinging a bat and chasing an outside-low curveball.

This could be a real game changer....as it seems to be going well with the new iron grip I tried, also.

:bananadance:

I've played with the Baseball grip for the last years or so ever since I broke my little finger on my right hand and couldn't interlock my fingers properly whilst gripping the club. But from the moment I stopped interlocking my fingers and started with the baseball grip it felt totally natural to me and now no matter what I do there's no way I am ever going to be able to go back.

I always thought this grip was for women or people with very tiny hands. My best friends brother in law plays with this grip and and I almost haggled him about it until I realized the kid hits it a country mile and makes par or better on nearly every freaking hole. At that point I realized it was best to keep to myself on that one.

From what I read the more you overlap (or interlock) your fingers the better the control. Therefore, a 2 finger overlap gives the best accuracy, the baseball grip the most power and the 1 finger overlap or interlock the best combination of both accuracy and power. It goes without saying you still have to have a grip that feels the most natural to you.

I used to play with an interlocking grip and just found it completely uncomfortable. When I started working with a pro a couple of years ago I asked him about it and he said if it is more comfortable it is fine as long as you get your hands in the correct positions at the correct times

Back