Will One Degree Make Much Difference?

BradMorris64

Turf Fears Me
Reaction score
Based on ball flight (slightly left on solid shots), divots, and the fact that I simply don't like looking down and seeing the toe of my club up in the air, I think I'm going to have the lie angle of all my irons bent -1 degree. Before I do this I would appreciate any opinions on whether this will have a dramatic effect on ball flight with identical swings? For me it's more of a confidence thing right now but I certainly don't want to do it if it's going to make a drastic change in ball flight. Thanks.

Based on ball flight (slightly left on solid shots), divots, and the fact that I simply don't like looking down and seeing the toe of my club up in the air, I think I'm going to have the lie angle of all my irons bent -1 degree. Before I do this I would appreciate any opinions on whether this will have a dramatic effect on ball flight with identical swings? For me it's more of a confidence thing right now but I certainly don't want to do it if it's going to make a drastic change in ball flight. Thanks.

It could be a tremendous ball flight difference. Maybe not. Remember the address position is not the same position as at contact.

Remember the address position is not the same position as at contact.

Yeah, I remembered that, I was just curious as to how much one degree of change might effect real world performance with identical swings. If it could be really dramatic I won't mess with it. Just looking for some small pieces of the puzzle to help shave a stroke here or there. Thanks.

Yeah, I remembered that, I was just curious as to how much one degree of change might effect real world performance with identical swings. If it could be really dramatic I won't mess with it. Just looking for some small pieces of the puzzle to help shave a stroke here or there. Thanks.

Depends on the golfer. Plus. One degree isn't as much as you think in the static position of address. The toe would probably be up.

Depends on the golfer. Plus. One degree isn't as much as you think in the static position of address. The toe would probably be up.

Through the ball though one degree makes anywhere from 5-15 yards depending on SS

TTing

I am confused. It sounds like the OP is talking about lie and Thainer is talking about loft?

No. Thain is talking lie. 1* flat could result in 5-15 yard right.

Bending -1 would cause more left.

TTing

No. Thain is talking lie. 1* flat could result in 5-15 yard right.

Still a little confused I guess. More upright would cause the ball to go left (right handed golfer) and a flatter lie would cause the ball to go right correct?

Yes you are correct.

Still a little confused I guess. More upright would cause the ball to go left (right handed golfer) and a flatter lie would cause the ball to go right correct?

That's what I thought too buddy. Of course Blu is right ...it's impact that matters not address. The OP really needs to get on a lie board and see what the impact position looks like before bending anything

That is correct. I just was not sure how much one degree translated into actual deviation at say 170 yards.

That is correct. I just was not sure how much one degree translated into actual deviation at say 170 yards.

As others have said it depends on your swing speed...but 5-15 would be a good range.

To me it does make a big difference. My irons are 1 degree up right and it has made all the difference in the world

To me it goes make a big difference. My irons are 1 degree up right and it has made all the difference in the world

Yup. I'd say get fit for lie angle on a lie board before making any changes.

Mine are -2* flat. I can still hook the snot out of them.

Oh yeah - I mean it isn't a cure all. But it is a difference maker

To me it does make a big difference. My irons are 1 degree up right and it has made all the difference in the world

Oh, I agree buddy....mine are 1* up too....before that I was always missing right....because I was sticking the toe in the ground...now I miss left too....hehehe

Oh, I agree buddy....mine are 1* up too....before that I was always missing right....because I was sticking the toe in the ground...now I miss left too....hehehe

Hahaha yup- new problems! But it really does change things

Oh I agree. I just laugh because my irons are very flat. But I still get the lefts.

Yup. And I can still banana slice with the best of them haha

Back