The Driving Range

I love going to the range but I hate when the grass is all chewed up and uneven from prior hackers attacking it.. It's one of those things that didn't really bother me at first, but is really starting to irk me whenever I go. When it's not too hot outside, I'll go during lunch, early AM or after work.

There's one near my house that has an awesome bunker to practice out of.. Only problem is, when I go, if I'm hitting them well on the range, I'll sometimes make the impromptu decision to go play 9...

The phone call is usually something like this..

"where are you??"

"Playing golf"

"You said you were going to the range!!"

"I did"

"but you're golfing!"

"I am, I went to the range, then the golf gods compelled me to play, I'm sorry, but I can't avoid divine intervention"

"Well you can divine yourself a spot on the couch"

:banghead:

Does anyone out there have a range that has an area to hit out of rough? I know most will have a chipping green and sand traps, but I don't ever see any rough. If you think about it, most people hit out of the rough probably 50% of the time or more, yet we never get to practice it. One range I go to has an area between the hitting areas that is not mowed down and I have used that before to practice. I also used it when I was demoing clubs last summer to see if one club was better out of the rough than another. Sometimes I like to use the range to practice certain shots before I have to hit them. I think more ranges should take an area and let it grow so we can practice those shots too.

Ours does. Hit out of it yesterday.

Does anyone out there have a range that has an area to hit out of rough?

One of the practice greens of the course I prefer has rough all around it, about 20-30 yards all around. I practice short pitches from there, but there aren't any areas on the range where there's rough to hit out of.

Does anyone out there have a range that has an area to hit out of rough? I know most will have a chipping green and sand traps, but I don't ever see any rough. If you think about it, most people hit out of the rough probably 50% of the time or more, yet we never get to practice it. One range I go to has an area between the hitting areas that is not mowed down and I have used that before to practice. I also used it when I was demoing clubs last summer to see if one club was better out of the rough than another. Sometimes I like to use the range to practice certain shots before I have to hit them. I think more ranges should take an area and let it grow so we can practice those shots too.

Our course does as well. It is to the left of the tee areas for the range.

Yeah, ours isn't on the range, but around 75% of the chipping green that has the practice bunkers. The other part is short grass. None on the range itself.

Ours has some rough in the chipping areas too, but I'm convinced it different rough than what's on the course. I can hit out of the practice rough so there's no way it's the same grass.

While working in NJ several years ago, I stopped by a range that had island greens spread across a large body of water. i guess the bottom was sloped enough to allow balls to roll into one or more collection areas.

on the plus side, you always new how far your ball flew. SPLASH!

I like the range, but the first tee is 3/4's of a mile from my house and the range is 30 minutes. So when push comes to shove, I hit the course.

Bowling Alley meets Golf Range ? :D

Pretty much, but you can adjust the tee height with a button too. It's more like the Jetson's version of a range.

I asked our course gurus to allow an area to grow to have some tall stuff to practice out of. Their answer "was you should not be playing from the rough." :banghead: I asked them to put in a fairway bunker on the range to practice out of. Their answer "was we only have one fairway bunker on the course." :banghead::banghead: I asked why are there so many practice balls on the #4 green when I get there sometimes. They said they did not know. I asked could it be that some folks are hitting balls out of the rough, and bunkers from the practice area to that green which is about 150 yards away? "Possibly" was the answer. :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Pretty much, but you can adjust the tee height with a button too. It's more like the Jetson's version of a range.

Sounds a little like TopGolf.

WOW. cool :) It must cost, like, a million dollars to live in your hi tech hood!

Jane, stop this crazy Slice!!!

WOW. cool :) It must cost, like, a million dollars to live in your hi tech hood!

Jane, stop this crazy Slice!!!

Not mine - it's in NYC - I just visit. Ty_Webb is there - he can tell you about it.

Well, here is a practice range scenario:

You: doing well. about halfway through your bucket 'o balls.

him: the course pro/instructor. Just walked on to practice.

You: slice, top, roll, hook,sky, shank every ball you have left.

:cool:

My old home course had re-routed a couple of holes early in its 60 year existence which left an abandoned 170 yard fairway with a green and a couple of bunkers. They had the wisdom to leave it and maintain it as a short game practice area. A portion along one side was regular rough. It was great. I would get a couple of buckets of balls, scatter them from 170 to the fringe and work my way to the green. They had one of those pushing devices to push the balls off the green so you could work with the same balls and have a clean green to work with.

That's one thing I really do miss.

I think a sticky where people shared and discussed what they are working on in practice would be way cool.

I was in Seoul once on business. There was a driving range on the roof of the hotel where I was staying. That was fun even though the man working there didn't speak English and I don't speak Korean. He still found clubs that worked for me - a glove too.

I read an article about driving ranges and their habitues recently--one of those that was clearly "I have a deadline and nothing to say, so I'll blather on about this for awhile." Anyway, the author ran down the usual list of suspects and then made an observation--the far left stall on the range is usually inhabited by a scratch golfer who wants to be left alone to work on his swing.

No! The far left stall is inhabited by a left handed female who really doesn't want free advice from guys with a worse slice than she has.

I read an article about driving ranges and their habitues recently--one of those that was clearly "I have a deadline and nothing to say, so I'll blather on about this for awhile." Anyway, the author ran down the usual list of suspects and then made an observation--the far left stall on the range is usually inhabited by a scratch golfer who wants to be left alone to work on his swing.

No! The far left stall is inhabited by a left handed female who really doesn't want free advice from guys with a worse slice than she has.

I'm a leftie, but I never take the far left stall because I don't want to turn my back on the hackers hitting behind me....LOL!

I was debating getting my lazy self moving, but the range is closed today too. The indoor range near me closed permanently and the other one is 45 minutes away so scratch that.

I go to two different ranges. one is at a local golf course and has decent grass but the price to ball ratio is terrible. the other one I go to is built behind a community college and is just a big patch of grass. nothing exciting and the grass is like an unkept fairway. thinking of it I got to find a better driving range.

Back