Rawson's prescription for the LPGA

AHacker'sHacker

Who is John Galt?
Reaction score
Handicap
WIP
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/e60/columns/story?id=4358982

Rawson's prescription for the LPGA

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By Anna Rawson
Special to ESPN.com

Editor's note: The LPGA is in crisis. The number of tournaments has fallen from 38 at the start of the decade, to 34 in 2008, to 28 this year -- with only 14 lined up so far for next year. Total prize money is down, from $60.3 million to $49.9 million, due in part to flagging support from corporate sponsors hit hard by the recession. Players are so worried about the future of the oldest organization in professional women's sports that they forced the resignation of Carolyn Bivens, its first female commissioner, in July. A search is on for her replacement -- and perhaps a new and fresh direction for the LPGA.

LPGA rookie Anna Rawson, the subject of an "E:60" profile airing Tuesday (7 p.m. ET on ESPN), has somehow thrived in this dismal landscape. She's picked up high-profile sponsorships with GoDaddy and the fashion designer J. Lindeberg despite a current ranking of 104th on the prize money list. How did she do it? Well, by exploiting her ample good looks. But also with a novel marketing plan that leverages her background as a runway model. The tall Australian writes a syndicated column in magazines around the world, offering golf fashion tips. She's built a provocative Web site that highlights her various interests, and she's a manic Twitterer. As much as any athlete on tour, the former USC golfer has embraced the notion that the key to selling the sport is attraction and connection.

With that in mind, ESPN correspondent Tom Farrey asked Rawson what she would do to revive the LPGA Tour. Not surprisingly, she challenged the status quo.

We aren't saving lives here on the tour, so to make a living we need to entertain. Here are a few ideas that might help women's golf, or at least start some conversation:

1. ROCK THE TEE

Every player should tee off to her favorite song at the beginning of the tournament and have it played again when she approaches the 18th green. Major League Baseball teams play music as batters approach the plate and it's great. Fans connect with players for their music and it builds anticipation. I don't think our golfers would have a problem with this because nowadays who doesn't practice with their iPod on? Plus, it would help me on the tee; the forced quiet is nerve-racking, so hearing music will help break the tension.

2. BRING ON THE MEN

Some LPGA tournaments should be played in conjunction with PGA tournaments. Both tours would play on the same course during the same week -- and at the same time -- while still competing for separate titles. The field would consist of the top 75 golfers from each tour, with men as usual playing from the back tees and women playing from the forward tees. One group of two to three PGA players tees off, and once the men are down the fairway, the LPGA group follows them.

Just like in pro tennis, coed tournaments would help grow the sport. Fans could see the best of the men's and women's tours in one day, and come to realize how good some of these LPGA pros are. Imagine the visuals -- Tiger warming up on the practice range next to Lorena Ochoa. Imagine the headlines -- "Battle of the Sexes: Who can handle Bethpage Black better, men or women?"

3. FASHION TO THE FAIRWAYS

Chat with Anna
On Tuesday, LPGA golfer Anna Rawson stops by to chat about her first year on tour, the financial future of the tour and her modeling career. Send your questions now and join Rawson Tuesday at 3 p.m. ET. Chat

For each tournament, I would have a fashion designer create a piece of clothing or accessory for the trophy ceremony. For the LPGA Championship, we could have a jacket specially made by Donna Karan. For the Kraft Nabisco, a gown designed by Vera Wang. For the P&G Northwest Arkansas Championship, CoverGirl could give the winner a makeover before the presentation. Whether the designer item is a gown, jacket, skirt or piece of jewelry, after signing her scorecard the winner would be taken to hair and makeup (cover that white forehead!) and fitted by a tailor for the ceremony (with the last six groups in the final round pre-fitted the night before so the size would be ready). On Monday, the winner would be flown to Manhattan to shoot the gown, jacket or jewelry for an ad to be placed in a fashion magazine (Elle, Vogue, Glamour, InStyle). This initiative would add femininity and glamour to events that struggle for attention, and introduce golf to a new demographic.

Let's be honest, guys are way too hard on women. Not even Megan Fox could deliver a good photo after 18 holes, so give us a minute to freshen up.

4. MARKETING IS THE BOSS

Right now, the LPGA has an acting commissioner. No matter whom we choose as the eventual successor to Bivens, I would give the LPGA's VP of communications, David Higdon, a long-term contract and make him directly answerable only to the players. Higdon knows how to help the public connect with athletes. At the ATP, where he worked until joining the LPGA in February, he helped shape the story of Roger Federer as he emerged as the best player in tennis. Federer was on the path of being seen as another Pete Sampras -- a consistent if dull winner -- but Higdon worked with Federer's handlers to flesh out his persona. He became known as a humanitarian (UNICEF ambassador in China), fashion leader (cover of Men's Vogue) and sports icon who transcends his sport (Tiger Woods sitting courtside at the U.S. Open).

Until further notice, all decisions should be made from a marketing perspective. That idea might sound crazy to some, but I say let's have that discussion when LPGA players reach the point where they can be accused of being over-marketed, overpaid or over-exposed.

5. READY FOR OUR CLOSE-UP

Every group should be miked up and followed by its own camera crew, not a hard or expensive thing to do in this era of cheap, portable devices that can send images and audio around the globe in an instant. When fans come to an LPGA tournament, they get hooked on our product. There is no sporting event where spectators get a closer look at a professional athlete. Once you get to know these women, you become a fan.

And hey, we know why women's tennis is so successful -- the grunting! You think tennis grunting is hot? You have to hear golf grunting. We hit the ball hundreds of yards down the fairway, not just over a dinky little net. No offense, Serena.

In the end, I'm not sure if any or all of these ideas will work. But it's definitely time to get creative.

Last edited:
Actually some pretty cool ideas :smile:

That's interesting you say that Julie, but you are younger than I am. I think #3 sends the wrong message about women.

I like #2. The top 75 qualifying men would be quite enough, although the top 75 women might be too many. Yeah, I like #2:clapp:

I suspect the reason women's tennis holds viewer interest is because it is intertwined with men's. That and, except for the majors, tennis is rarely on network TV.

I suspect the reason women's tennis holds viewer interest is because it is intertwined with men's. That and, except for the majors, tennis is rarely on network TV.

Agreed.

That's interesting you say that Julie, but you are younger than I am. I think #3 sends the wrong message about women.

Hm...I'm not sure...I think women can be feminine and feminist at the same time. I bet a large part of revenue in the golf industry, from the women's side especially, is clothing...stats on that would be interesting.

Actually, the first thing I likened it to was the Green Jacket. I saw a headline recently "Cink wins Claret Jug" and that got me thinking of the Green Jacket and that got me thinking that women don't really have a parallel.

It's also kind of like an Oscars ceremony...women can be tough and show their talent in movies, maybe even play men, but get glammed up for the ceremony.

Part of the problem and I have said it before is that nobody knows what the majors are. Ricoh this. Mcdonalds that? etc etc.

Julie,
Feminine is good. The LPGA needs that and seems to have it now. Feminist is not good for the LPGA. That is what they had before and it killed viewership.

I give credit to Ms. Rawson for at least thinking about this issue and being prepared to answer the what if you were in charge question. To be successful I think the LPGA has to come to grips with the notion that they aren’t going to be the PGA and doing things a little differently isn’t a bad thing.

Feminine is good. The LPGA needs that and seems to have it now. Feminist is not good for the LPGA. That is what they had before and it killed viewership.

I agree that feminine is good, but find it sad that a professional golfer thinks one of the ways to bring attention the the LPGA is by using a make-up artist and hair stylist.

I agree Diane. But here is the real deal. The LPGA to survive must have male viewers. Most of the fans keep forgetting that and think "girl power" will make this work. It doesnt the viewership of the LPGA is somewhere around 71% male. With those numbers, you need to bring in attention. As for Rawson, most casual fans dont even know who she is. If she was not in apparel ads, Im not sure anybody would know who she is except die hards.

They are creative ideas. Credit to her for not giving standard status quo answers. Some of her ideas are crazy but maybe a toned down version in the hands of a brilliant marketing person can be made into gold.

Watching this on ESPN now. On E:60. I get the feeling with listening to her and reading the article that she is all about self promotion and her thoughts are not at all to help the LPGA. Just my opinion.

She wants to showcase her talents off the course and there is nothing wrong with that. But she seems to want to promote the "pretty" and not the game. Again, just my opinion.

JB - I think that came through loud and clear in the article - you're definitely not reading between the lines.

JB - I think that came through loud and clear in the article - you're definitely not reading between the lines.

hehehe.

She makes Christie Kerr look like the nicest lady in the world when it comes to self promotion. My favorite part was her getting asked which was more important golf or modeling.

How can she think she can be taken seriously as an athlete when it is 2nd for her and she has not won. Atleast Kournikova was a competitor, Rawson without her looks does not even play professional golf right now.

Rawson without her looks does not even play professional golf right now.

I don't think that is a fair comment. She might not get the interview she just had or the sponsorships but her opportunity to play professional golf is not necessarily tied to her looks. I imagine she has worked very hard on her game to play on the tour.

I don't think that is a fair comment. She might not get the interview she just had or the sponsorships but her opportunity to play professional golf is not necessarily tied to her looks. I imagine she has worked very hard on her game to play on the tour.

You are correct to an extent. But she has her place partly because of her looks. Sponsors exemptions are a big thing in tour golf. She is one of the highest paid LPGA players. She misses more cuts than she makes and is not in the top 100. (IIRC)

Does anybody think she would have the same opportunities given to her and not to someone else based on her golfing talent?

regardless of everything said...
In the box thinking is not working...Time to go outside the box..(whatever shape that new box might be...)
Becoming innovative could not do much worse...Crap...they only have 14 tourneys signed up for next year..
They need to do SOMETHING and fast...

That I agree with bama. However I am not sure she even wants it to be a sporting event anymore.

That I agree with bama. However I am not sure she even wants it to be a sporting event anymore.

I guess I kind of diverged and was talking about the LPGA in general..sorry

I agree 100% bama.

Okay, I have tried to be positive with the LPGA and everyone can flame away at my comments here, but I am going to speak my mind. Sorry if it may offend the 3 or 4 LPGA fans here.....

For starters, a non LPGA fan here speaking the truth, Anna Rawson is beautiful, but I have never seen her on TV, only in pictures!! Her ideas sound like self promotion, and I would turn off any co-santioned event they tried to pull off, the JC Penny/Wendy's 3 Tour events never did much for me, and I have never watched them!! Attaching LPGA players to PGA players only stinks of desperation to me!!!

I turn on the LPGA to a bunch of names, who I, for the most part have never heard of, sure if you follow it week to week you know who is who. Christie Kerr yelling at every shot she hits makes me want to turn the channel, Christina Kim's attempts at "Tiger Woods" fist pumps make me want to turn the channel. Unknown's who don't speak English make me want to change the channel. There are only a handful of players on the LPGA that I will watch, and as shallow as it may seem... it is because they speak the same language as me and are somewhat attractive. I am not sure what the LPGA needs to do to survive, but it sure seems like they are getting more desperate by the day!!!

I dont think you need to be flamed for that CM. I actually agree with you for most of it, and I am a big fan and have been for a while. Except the dual promotion part. I too hated the JC Penney in my hometown. By dual promotion I would like to see it done like tennis where both groups are playing the same tourny. Like the US Open. They can play the same course and have the ladies go out in the morning and men in the afternoon. Just have them start on Wednesday instead of Thursday to get everybody in. It would do wonders for the LPGA.

THe problem is, it does nothing for the PGA and most likely will never happen.

You know JB. I attended the Michelob for many years at Kingsmill and it was a very weak tournament on the PGA Tour because it was always around the British open. The purse and field were so weak that they ended up doing away with the tournament. Then the following year they made it an LPGA event for half the purse and it quickly became "the fifth major" on the LPGA tour. Attending in person I have to say it was LAME, hardly worth going to even though all the top LPGA players were there. I remember running in to Jill McGill and she asked me what I thought of the event compared to the mens event and she was not happy with my response. They seemed to make a big deal about the fact that they got complimentary cars and free passes to Busch Gardens for the week....

CM I don’t think you should be taken to task for your comments at all. In fact I think most male golfers who occasionally watch the LPGA feel exactly like you do. In the end I would like to see the LPGA be successful because I think this is a great sport and it would be terrific if my daughter could grow up watching professional women’s golf. For that to happen though something is going to have to change and the leaders (both the LPGA stars and leadership) are going to have to come up with some innovative ways to make this a viable institution.

Back