Playing with the Pro

Jeh Eh

Reaction score
Handicap
I use to play casually with the club pro a couple of times a month, posted some decent mid 80’s scores. Started taking lessons from him and working really hard by hitting the range and chipping/putting green almost every day to try and get to a single digit index.

My play has shown up with my regular playing partners and even when I get mixed with others as a single (lots of low 80’s), but in the past 2 years every time I go out and play with the pro I completely fall apart.

I am friends with the pro so I’m relaxed (or feel relaxed) when we play, but things are getting worse. I want to show him (seeking validation) on how hard I have been working on the things we go over during our lessons. Late last year I was actually doing things with my swing that I have never done which ended up changing some of our lessons afterwards.

Has this ever happen to any of you?

Any advice for this year as we should be starting up our lessons in a month or so for the new year.

I tend to psych myself out from time to time. It's all between the ears, and you just have to calm down and focus. Don't over think it. And try and have fun. Golf is supposed to be a game!!!

I've never actually played with a pro before. I would love to. I think it would be a great round.

I've never played with a pro either but I do notice that when i play against noticeably better golfers I shoot worse, not just feel like I'm hitting worse but way higher scores. When I play with people noticeably worse the opposite happens, I tend to post some of my better scores. I don't feel any less relaxed and actually I usually feel better playing with better players because they tend to follow etiquette more and I dont have to grind my teeth every time an unexperienced golfer drives a cart passed the signs or doesn't fix their ball mark on the green. Maybe we try harder to keep up with lower handicap golfers and tend to forget the fundamentals?

I've had the same problem with my friends! Late last year, I was posting some decent scores (Scores in the 90's. We aren't that good) but I live all the way across the country from them. So they never actually see me play well. When I would go visit them, I would play like crap and shoot something like 107. And I'd never actually shoot any of the scores I was posting. I think it's all probably a physiological thing cuz i wanted to show them that I've been getting a lot better.

On our recent trip to Florida, I finally stepped up my game and shot a personal best of 89. They finally got to see the game that I've been posting! I assume it's got to be a mental thing!

Typically I play my best golf when I am playing with people I don't know. I think it is because I am relaxed as I don't know the people and don't care what they think but also don't want to look like a chump. I played in 2 pro-ams last year and had 2 of the worst rounds of the year. I think I cared too much and was scared of looking stupid. It is all 100% mental, the more I play in pressure situations (playing in tournaments or for money) the more used to the situation I am getting and the closer I play to my normal casual round.

I do this quite often when playing with my dad...I want to go super low everytime I play with him, just to make him happy/proud. It's similar to a tournament setting, you are attempting (whether you realize it or not) to prove yourself and your game. You push more than you normally would, and it will hurt your game unless you channel it properly.

It definitely is mental. Try bringing one of your playing buddies that you play well with next time you play with the pro if you can.

I have one buddy who hates playing with me cuz I shoot lights out everytime and his game goes down hill.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

I have only had the opportunity to play with the pro on 2 occcasions. the first time was an on course lesson, but I was playing so good that he only askedme about one shot that I was about to make. The rest of the day was just about having fun on the course and it turned out to be one of my best rounds ever. He got me by 2 strokes. He now lives in Myrtle Beach, so this past summer while I was down that way with family, I was able to catch up with him and get in 2 rounds with him and his regular group. Not my best performances, but it was still fun.

I've played with my course pro once. We have talked about playing more. It was interesting seeing him actually golf and not just on the range.

I generally play better with the pros or better golfers. I think i concentrate more. On the other hand, if things start going downhill, it goes fast. I get upset that i look bad in front of those people and i'm holding them up. Concentration goes out the window and i'm just trying to hurry and get out of the way.

I really enjoy playing with club pro's but it doesn't affect my game at all...if anything it improves it. I too post really good scores when playing with complete strangers and I don't know why exactly. I think it's one of my favorite aspects of golf to meet people and share a couple hours with them.
I do tend to play worse when playing with certain people which is frustrating because I really want to play the way I know I can. It's nothing that they do or don't do it's all in my own head.

One thing that can happen when you're playing with a pro is that you try pressing to catch up, or to show him how you *can* play golf. You start firing at pins and hitting crazy chips you'd never do in a normal round, but feeling the pressure to keep pace, you lose sight of what has helped you score well.

Just something to consider.

I really enjoy playing with club pro's but it doesn't affect my game at all...if anything it improves it. I too post really good scores when playing with complete strangers and I don't know why exactly. I think it's one of my favorite aspects of golf to meet people and share a couple hours with them.
I do tend to play worse when playing with certain people which is frustrating because I really want to play the way I know I can. It's nothing that they do or don't do it's all in my own head.
Is one of those certain people me? heehee

I think the only time I enjoy playing with the pro is during a teaching round, that way he can teach me how to approach each hole and shot etc it really helps me with my game, but one time I tried playing a normal round with my pro, and it really shook my nerves, there is a reason that he's a pro and I'm not lol

Our club has a a local pro who gives classes. He has been amazing to my game... ive been playing about 2.5 yrs... and i wasted the first year not taking serious lessons...and only saw dramatic improvement when i took this lessons from this pro.

One day i came to the course alone and looked for some members who wanted to play. The pro had no lessons planned and invited me to walk 18 holes with him. I gladly accepted and it was alot of fun to watch him play. Older guy... solid swing...lacked distance but his short game was so incredible to watch....

That day... i hit my first ever eagle..... pretty cool to share that with him... because he has gotten me to this level and i owe it to him.... it was nice to share that with him...

i post better scores with better players for sure.... i concentrate more... take my time...

I use to play casually with the club pro a couple of times a month, posted some decent mid 80’s scores. Started taking lessons from him and working really hard by hitting the range and chipping/putting green almost every day to try and get to a single digit index.

My play has shown up with my regular playing partners and even when I get mixed with others as a single (lots of low 80’s), but in the past 2 years every time I go out and play with the pro I completely fall apart.

I am friends with the pro so I’m relaxed (or feel relaxed) when we play, but things are getting worse. I want to show him (seeking validation) on how hard I have been working on the things we go over during our lessons. Late last year I was actually doing things with my swing that I have never done which ended up changing some of our lessons afterwards.

Has this ever happen to any of you?

Any advice for this year as we should be starting up our lessons in a month or so for the new year.

Last time I played with the head pro at my home course, I was 3 under through 11, the played bogey golf for the last 7 holes to card a 76. Still not bad for a 12 handicap at the time. I beat the pro straight up that day. :banana:

I've only played with a pro once, which was last year. I would say I played good, only had one blow-up hole. I think he got me by 7 strokes, which I was kinda proud of. I tend to play better golf when my playing partners are as good or better then me. It was a good experience to play with a pro and would like to do it more often. He was a very nice guy & a damn good golfer. :D

Just like a couple of other guys in this thread, I tend to play better when I am playing with strangers, or people that are better than me. I just rise to the occasion because I guess I feel like I have something to prove! It's all between the ears. When I can get that settled, I post good scores.

I always found concentration to be the biggest challenge for me. Once I'd realize that I wasn't going to have the round of my life, I'd lose overall concentration. I'd enjoy and focus more on the occasional novel, or very challenging shots and not the average shot. So I'd make incredible shots and blow easy ones...and my score.

But give me a reason to stay focused, like trying to beat that guy I never do, or playing with a pro and I stay more focused and play better...usually.

Thinking this can happen with anyone who plays at a different level than you do.
You think your relaxed and you trick yourself into believing it, but your swing/grip pressure tell the truth right?

If relaxing yourself isn't working around this person, maybe go the other way and put pressure on yourself to really focus
on what your doing. If you ride, ride in separate carts or try to walk apart to limit the idle chatter.
Good luck with him.

I've played a lot of rounds with a former touring pro who gave me lessons in the early '90s. He actually worked with my roommate at the time at a heating and cooling service when I met him in 1984. We lost touch and met up again in 1991, got to being friends, then he got divorced and moved to Dallas. Haven't heard from him since around 1995 or 1996.

A few of those rounds was with a guy who got a D1 scholarship (he was a friend of another of my friends). Rounds with those two guys were full of awe.

I have played with a club pro a few times and I usually fell apart. Instead of playing "my game" I found myself trying to have a good looking swing. I think my head and game are in a better place now and I would like to try it again with this new perspective.

Back