TaylorMade RocketBallz RBZ Stage 2 Driver Preview Thread

Big Taylormade fan but I HATE these graphics on the crown....absolutely HATE them.

I had the same feelings, I honestly don't notice them like I was certain that I would after I sit the club at address. They're there, but not distracting like I believed it would be. Same goes for the Adams hybrids this year really.

OK, so, I've managed, after a cold snap, to get out a couple of times this past week. To the point here with my current thoughts....

Hit is side by side with last years RBZ driver, still doesn't sound great IMO as its still quite metallic but it sounds good deal better than last years model IMO. There is a definite pitch improvement to my ear.

The shaft...I'm not a fan of. The Fuji "RocketFuel" shaft just feels almost "late" to me in the swing, I'm working on how to word that better. Almost like its just too loose for me. I know its a made for thought and I know that it is meant to be able to fit the broad golfing demographic so I'm not going to rip it apart too much. Still trying to find the right words here, I'm not impressed by it so far though.

The head...there is promise here. I seem to be getting pretty low spin, still nice carry, and though you get the more metallic life sound you can "feel" (feel sound still though!) the ball jump off of the face a good bit. It leaves that feeling of "got that one good" to me. Right now my thoughts are it could be a very solid head with the right shaft. As to the graphics, I really don't notice them much. I know its an "extra alignment aid" but I really don't feel like its life changing for me in that aspect, but its not distracting either...and that's a good thing.

I was concerned coming into reviewing this one that it was going to be a driver that was just pushed out by TM for the sake of having an alternative tot he R1, especially given ALL the press being on the R1 and very little at all on the Stage 2. I can say that isn't the case. Though I'm not big on the stock shaft for MY swing/game, the head itself is an intriguing one performance wise. I'd love to see what it could do with different options in it.

Headed to the PGA Show this week but I should be getting back out this Sunday or even Saturday after I get home for more thoughts!

My feelings exactly with the original RBZ. I hit it well, but was very inconsistent (shaft was too long and just didnt like the feel of it). Put in my own shaft and it was like a new driver. I have never hit more fairways in my life.

Man, I just don't know if I could live with rotten sound. I guess I could if it was the Super LS (and launched higher), so I shouldn't dismiss this one.

My feelings exactly with the original RBZ. I hit it well, but was very inconsistent (shaft was too long and just didnt like the feel of it). Put in my own shaft and it was like a new driver. I have never hit more fairways in my life.

I believe that, and I know that has been the case with a LOT of people on last years RBZ driver. Lots of guys love it after making a shaft change and swear by that head.

Man, while I'm still not a fan of the sound...even though I know this IS the new TM sound and it'll never be what it used to be...after hitting it next to last years, it has improved.

Man, I just don't know if I could live with rotten sound. I guess I could if it was the Super LS (and launched higher), so I shouldn't dismiss this one.

You know I hate talking about sound because its so dang personal, I'm just not a fan of the really metallic sounds that are out there in some as they sit at too high of a pitch for my ear. But, like we both know, some people prefer that sound to the more composite/solid like sounds out there that we prefer. Such a damn personal thing!

For what it's worth, I'm not surprised to hear that the shaft is underperforming for you. I suspect plenty of folks would find it to work for them though.

That stock shaft in the RBZ last yr was junk.....I took it out and put in a R9 F1 Motore shaft and it was a new driver. These long shafts they have put in these clubs for years are garbage.

For what it's worth, I'm not surprised to hear that the shaft is underperforming for you. I suspect plenty of folks would find it to work for them though.

I agree completely Hawkster.

I hit my Razr Fit, the Extreme, X Hot, Amp Cell, and RBZ 2nd Gen today at Dick's. I put all of them to their lowest loft (8 or 8.5), hit all with stock stiff shafts (Extreme had Trinity, mine had Rip'd NV). Overall best spin, launch and distance went TO: (gulp) RBZ 2nd Gen! I actually told the guy to leave it in back at the start. When my launch on all the others was 13.5-16 and launch was mid 2000's to 3000, distance at 287 highest (106-108 SS) he asked me to try it. First three launch was 11.7, 12.1, 12.5 with spin 1890, 1930, 1901, distance went to 297, 305, 307. No changes were made on the monitor... I didn't want the white driver! Ugh. I need more shaft options. I need a REAL fitting. But TWENTY yards? Anyway, I may be selling my Fit and all FOUR shafts...

After reading some on here, I need to look at the misses more next time...

First pic is RBZ 2nd Gen TP, 9.5, 60g stiff set in lowest loft setting
yzynese7.jpg

Next pic is RBZ 2nd Gen 9.5, 50g stiff set in lowest loft setting
by9avepy.jpg

Hmm... Better dispersion with the TP, but less spin and better launch with non-TP...

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359173602.575010.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359173602.575010.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 0
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359173665.386134.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359173665.386134.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 0
Up the loft half a degree or degree maybe on the TP?

Went to TM demo event tonight and this driver was awesome! I hit this 10x better than the R1. 9.5 stiff with stock shaft really fit me well. I wish I had launch monitor stats to compare vs my RAZR fit. Wow really impressed with this driver!!

That's good canes, I definitely think it'll be alot like last year and 1/2 will LOVE the R1 witht he other 1/2 LOVING the Stage 2.

I'll be getting another round on this one tomorrow and then the review will go down on paper!

That yellow head cover is possibly the ugliest I have ever seen.

That's good canes, I definitely think it'll be alot like last year and 1/2 will LOVE the R1 witht he other 1/2 LOVING the Stage 2.

I'll be getting another round on this one tomorrow and then the review will go down on paper!

Sweet bro. I look forward to your review.

I was able to pick up an RBZ Stage 2 today (10.5 degree, regular shaft) at my local golf shop. I hit it on the monitor on Monday and the numbers were best for me as opposed to the Covert, R1, Adams Speed S and Ping G25. 14 degree launch with 3100 spin. I have a slow (80mph) driver swing speed and was fighting too low of spin. I have been gaming the Nike VR_S since spring of last year. Bottom line for me was the RBZ does not perform on the range like it did in the batting cage. Hit about 60 balls, first 15 and last 5 with my VR_S. RBZ was all over the place no matter how I adjusted loft and none as solid as the VR_S. Fought balloon drives to the right. Straight to draws with the VR_S and lower trajectory. The RBZ did seem to stay in the air longer (because spin numbers are higher?) but dispersion was everywhere.

Thank goodness for my golf store has a 90 day, 100 percent return policy. I really wanted this to work for me.

Not a fan of the yellow but i love the reviews I'm reading. Can't wait to try this one.

I was able to pick up an RBZ Stage 2 today (10.5 degree, regular shaft) at my local golf shop. I hit it on the monitor on Monday and the numbers were best for me as opposed to the Covert, R1, Adams Speed S and Ping G25. 14 degree launch with 3100 spin. I have a slow (80mph) driver swing speed and was fighting too low of spin. I have been gaming the Nike VR_S since spring of last year. Bottom line for me was the RBZ does not perform on the range like it did in the batting cage. Hit about 60 balls, first 15 and last 5 with my VR_S. RBZ was all over the place no matter how I adjusted loft and none as solid as the VR_S. Fought balloon drives to the right. Straight to draws with the VR_S and lower trajectory. The RBZ did seem to stay in the air longer (because spin numbers are higher?) but dispersion was everywhere.

Thank goodness for my golf store has a 90 day, 100 percent return policy. I really wanted this to work for me.

Interesting Tuscon, could be a shaft issue? I know for me personally, I'm not big on the shaft but have been pretty impressed by the head itself during my time with it. Curious to see how the shaft works for the masses since that is always the intentions of pairing a shaft with a head.

Jman, the shaft should be good for me since I have mostly light Miyazaki shafts (CG Black 3Wood and Mashies). I am going to keep working with it. Too many good reviews for the way I hit it against my VR_S today! Usually, there is a positive honeymoon period before the bad shots happen. Maybe I can spend some time and develop a "long term" relationship! BTW, the graphics on the crown are fine, but the headcover is over the top yellow.

Hey guys,

Tested a bunch of the new drivers. R1, Covert, XHot, Ping and Rocketballz. I do have to say that the rocketballz is quite long for me and my favorite out of the group. It was about 14 yards longer than my VR_S. I can't find the numbers I wrote down which is killing me, however, they looked pretty decent. The shaft seems a bit light for me however I think it is the reason I am seeing the distance gains. If I can find the numbers I will get back to you guys. FWIW I did slug one on the monitor 300+ it was sweet!

Edit:

Found the numbers!

Nike VRS

Clubhead Speed: 102
Backspin:147.8
Launch Angle: 13.4
Azimuth: 4.6
Sidespin: 70
Backspin: 3054
Total Spin: 3131
Descent Angle: 43
Carry:247
Total Distance: 269
Offline: 18.47
Peak Height: 38.96

TM Stage 2:

Clubhead Speed:103
Backspin: 149.8
Launch Angle: 14.9
Azimuth: 0.9
Sidespin: 345
Backspin: 2706
Total Spin: 2766
Descent Angle: 43
Carry 259
Total Distance 282.6
Offline 22.47
Peak Height42.65

Granted I was hitting really bad shots all over the place but please analyze the numbers. Thanks!

Last edited:
Saw one of these today along with the fairway woods and I have to say that despite my earlier reservations about the crown graphics, I thought they actually look okay

I didn't hit any due to my back problems still but I am definitely going to give the driver a try when I am able to swing a club again

Took mine on the course for the first time today and the results were much better than the driving range session. Like Iowfi, I have been gaming the VR_S. With the RBZ, I hit 11 of 14 fairways (misses were 2 right and one left). The rest were 5-10 yards longer than my VR_S with one about 30 yards longer (wish I could repeat that one more often!). I hit my VR_S as well on several holes for comparison. I still need to tinker with the lofts. I guess the higher you set it from "standard" the more closed the face gets and higher you hit it? I have a 10.5 degree. At 12 degree the trajectory is really high. Dropping it back to 11 degree was lower, but still higher than my 10.5 degree VR_S. I like the draw bias so am thinking I want to keep it set higher than the "standard" 10.5 degree. Sound is not obnoxious and ball seems to pop off the clubface when you hit one solid. Mis hits (heel) seemed to not lose as much distance as usual. Graphics are really no issue.

Curious about the shaft. I picked one up and dicks tonight when the guy was unboxing them. Even with a stiff it felt real whippy

Uh oh.

So I went to Golf Galaxy this morning to pickup my brother-in-law's clubs for him. While there, I thought I would partake in the R1 Challenge.

Warmed up and then hit some shots with my RBZ driver - some nice ropes that carried about 280-285.

Then I grabbed the R1. They fitted me after a few swings and after adjustments I was hitting some great shots that were carrying 288-293 - good enough for 8 Lethal balls.

Ok, time to go home ... ah hell, let me just try the RBZ Stage 2 for fun....

BOOM!
BOOM!
BOOM!

Average carry of... get this... 307 yards. Lasers. Absolute lasers.

My God.

The people watching me pleaded with me to buy it on the spot... and there were no employees watching me at this point.

I could trade in my old RBZ driver, r7 irons, and walk out with a Stage 2 Driver for $100 bucks.

I wasn't prepared to buy a new driver, so I left. All I can think about is those poor balls I hit and how they compressed to the point their brains almost squished out.

I LOVED this driver. I have until Sunday to decide (aka convince the wife) that this needs to happen....

Nice to hear you liked it so well jlukes!

I finished up my on course work with this one yesterday just to clear up a few thoughts before the review is written. While I personally battled the shaft in this one, I know it will work for the masses and like anything else some will REALLY get along with it. The head sounds much improved to me, but not as much as the R11s to the R1 this year and the head itself I think could be a tremendously solid performer with the right shaft combo.

Its going to be a fun one to put down on paper!

Back