Status
Not open for further replies.
Headed to look at a Smith & Wesson M&P .40 right now. Have to stock the armory before I head back to Hawaii and can't buy anything.

Local shop just got a shipment of ARs in, gonna go check out what they have after work. This shop doesn't jack up prices like others so I'm sure they will go fast!

you have a dozen .22s? sheesh hahaha thats awesome

You don't even want to know how many my dad has! Haha!

Heck, I've got four Ruger 10/22 rifles an a 10/22 that has been converted to .17hm2.
My current .22 of choice has been a 1977 Browning lever action .22 that I picked up last year. It's in fairly rough shape but I love that fun and super handy little gun.

What's the difference between 17 HMR and 17 HM2?

You don't even want to know how many my dad has! Haha!

Heck, I've got four Ruger 10/22 rifles an a 10/22 that has been converted to .17hm2.
My current .22 of choice has been a 1977 Browning lever action .22 that I picked up last year. It's in fairly rough shape but I love that fun and super handy little gun.

What's the difference between 17 HMR and 17 HM2?

They both shoot the same 17 grain ballistic tip bullet (other bullets available for the HMR), but the HMR is a necked down .22 mag, while the HM2 is a necked down .22 LR. Both are extremely fun to shoot, but the HMR provides significantly more pop.
For my needs, the HM2 is the perfect little squirrel gun, while I don't really have much use for my HMR other than it just being fun to shoot.
Both are flat shooting and extremely accurate, with the HM2 reaching out to 100 - 125 yards without much drop and the HMR reaching out to around 175 before it starts to fall off.
Velocities aren't vastly different at 2,100fps for the HM2 and 2,550 for the HMR, but the HMR puts out 245ft-lbs of energy verses 166ft-lbs for the HM2.

why do you guys own guns?
hunting?
target/range?
military?
grew up around them?
self defense?
My dad owned guns so in that sense I did grow up with them but it isn't like we went hunting or shooting together so they weren't part of my DNA, so to speak.

We bought a couple of handguns for conceal carry because we were backpackers and we wanted to be prepared in case any ugliness found its way to us while we were in the middle of nowhere (and we did have some interesting stuff occur with black bears, grizzlies, random people walking into camp at 2am, thankfully none of which required an item to be used). Once we owned them we wanted to be proficient and safe so we joined a gun club, and we started practicing. As members of the club we became introduced to other shooting sports (e.g., skeet & trap, 3 gun/tactical competitions), which lead to different purchases and more active target/competition shooting. Eventually we realized practicing with our existing handguns wasn't necessarily fun or cost effective so we bought some .22 plinkers so we could more efficiently work on technique. Then we inherited an item or two. Toss in a gratuitous purchase or two because something was cool or fun or cheap, etc. Somewhere along the way our constant desire to be safe and proficient and responsible meant we needed a safe.

Did some shopping around and finally decided on the Springfield XD9 sub-compact. Liked the idea of less recoil, cheaper ammo, and a higher capacity. Plus 9mm ammo had come a long way over the years.

Did some shopping around and finally decided on the Springfield XD9 sub-compact. Liked the idea of less recoil, cheaper ammo, and a higher capacity. Plus 9mm ammo had come a long way over the years.

That's the dilemma I've got now. I've always been a 45 guy but I'm thinking 9mm might give me some more options for CC. Congrats on the purchase. Be sure you let us know how you like it!

When it come down to it, and hopefully it never does, there is very little difference in pistol calibers commonly used for self defense, and what they do.

~Joseph~
via Tapatalk

When it come down to it, and hopefully it never does, there is very little difference in pistol calibers commonly used for self defense, and what they do.

~Joseph~
via Tapatalk

True. The only difference is in type of round. FMJ is crap in pretty much any of the popular self defence calibers. Hydro or plus p rounds are far and away better options. The only thing I use FMJ for is plinking around on the range.

5 fmj's to the chest will do a great job. And want cost to much.

I choose the 9mm because I have more rounds, hopefully I never have to use it but I'd I do I know I have it, the amount of... Damage it does compared to other calibers when you get into the premium self defense loadings is comparable, so being able to have more rounds was where I saw the benefit.

~Joseph~
via Tapatalk

Great pistol, My EDC is the MP40c.

Vince! What's up man? I've been reading up on these as well. Any complaints? Only thing I've heard so far is that the trigger pull is heavy. Do you even notice it?

Headed to look at a Smith & Wesson M&P .40 right now. Have to stock the armory before I head back to Hawaii and can't buy anything.

Great pistol, My EDC is the MP40c.

I have two M&P compacts, the 9mm, and i have the .357 sig that has the .40 barrel with it, so gives me lots of options. It's actually helped me out with all the craziness as i can buy any of the three calibers when i see them pop up. With the new offering by underwood ammo on the .357 sig (1500 fps 600+ lbs of energy) i have made the switch and now carry the M&P 357sig compact when not carrying the M&P shield 9mm.

Some god vids of the underwood ammo in action, first two are the .357 sig, the third is the 9mm 147 +P+, i carry the 147+P in my shield.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ughIFOrIP_w

www.youtube.com/watch?v=iujNWfhUx4A

www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMiI8VcPQ3c

Last edited:
Question for those who carry... Do you carry a suppressor as well? Or just some ears? Or nothing?

That's the dilemma I've got now. I've always been a 45 guy but I'm thinking 9mm might give me some more options for CC. Congrats on the purchase. Be sure you let us know how you like it!

~Joseph~
via Tapatalk

Joseph is spot on, when it comes to handgun calibers they pretty much all suck as far as ballistic stopping power, but when used effectively they can get the job done, can save you life, and can stop an attack. My feeling is first have a gun, second have it in whatever caliber you shoot best (.380-.45acp) and can practice with most, third never think that your skill set is enough, train, train, train, and then look for those who are better than you and train with them.

True. The only difference is in type of round. FMJ is crap in pretty much any of the popular self defence calibers. Hydro or plus p rounds are far and away better options. The only thing I use FMJ for is plinking around on the range.

5 fmj's to the chest will do a great job. And want cost to much.

Sorry Jacob, but i hope you are not relying on FMJs for your self defense round, two big problems, FMJs overall dump little of their energy on target, and will simply pass through most targets to carry on to the next thing that may or may not stop them which could be a innocent bystander, or a loved one who you are originally trying to protect.

Once that bullet leaves the barrel it's all on you where it ends up.

Last edited:
Question for those who carry... Do you carry a suppressor as well? Or just some ears? Or nothing?

No one i knows carries a suppressor every day unless you are on a tactical team maybe, and trying to make a quiet entrance. Thing is if the moment comes, god forbid i hope it never does for any of us, last thing you are going to worry about is hearing protection.

Plus a suppressor would add weight, length, and make it very hard to conceal for most, unless you like wearing a trench coast 24/7

at the range , or out shooting skeet, or maybe even some dove and duck, wearing some simple plugs is prudent, but in a stress situation and you have maybe 2 seconds to draw and fire last thing you can worry about is ear protection.

I think anyone who shoots should always wear ear protection, even when shooting .22's i know so that don;t, but our ears are very sensitive and need to be protected.

Last edited:
Fmj's are better. But what really matters is the size of the wound and the number. Assailants are slowed or stopped by drop in blood pressure not by the force of a bullet. Unless you destroy the brain.

Lesson : always shoot the biggest cal you are comfortable with shooting accurately whether its fmj or not.

tapp tapp tapp tappatalk

Fmj's are better. But what really matters is the size of the wound and the number. Assailants are slowed or stopped by drop in blood pressure not by the force of a bullet. Unless you destroy the brain.

Lesson : always shoot the biggest cal you are comfortable with shooting accurately whether its fmj or not.

tapp tapp tapp tappatalk

in using your observation , you feel a FMJ makes a bigger wound channel and affects the lost of blood pressure more so than a HP?

in using your observation , you feel a FMJ makes a bigger wound channel and affects the lost of blood pressure more so than a HP?

I want gonna touch on it with the last post but your observation is correct. FMJ has minimal damaging effects besides to immediate tissue it comes in contact with. Small entry, small passage way made in object, and small exit. No mushrooming of the round + less cavitation + a cleaner wound = FMJ (a poor self defense round)

Great for shooting around at the range though.

I want gonna touch on it with the last post but your observation is correct. FMJ has minimal damaging effects besides to immediate tissue it comes in contact with. Small entry, small passage way made in object, and small exit. No mushrooming of the round + less cavitation + a cleaner wound = FMJ (a poor self defense round)

Great for shooting around at the range though.

Very much so COLT, FMJ = Practice / JHP = Self Defense

If all you can get your hands on is FMJ then that is what you will use, but we are lucky we live in a country than we have options, for now at least.

Very much so COLT, FMJ = Practice / JHP = Self Defense

If all you can get your hands on is FMJ then that is what you will use, but we are lucky we live in a country than we have options, for now at least.

Yep. Nothing against Zenger, and this isnt directed toward him because of his idea of the FMJ, but i think that the movies and video games out there that always associate FMJ with high power bad-assery are to blame for a lot of the misconceptions in ammo types and purposes.

We (the military) use FMJ because its the cheapest/easiest to mass produce and because it's what is the NATO approved ammunition. We don't use it for the amount of damage it can inflict by any means.

The military is restricted to using FMJ by the Hague convention. The restriction prohibits the use of expanding/flattening projectiles. Mildly outdated to say the least, considering the same convention prohibits the launching of projectiles and explosives from balloons.

We (the military) use FMJ because its the cheapest/easiest to mass produce and because it's what is the NATO approved ammunition. We don't use it for the amount of damage it can inflict by any means.

HAHA don't you love how JHPs are "cruel and unusual"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back