Cobra AMP CELL Irons Preview

Are these Amp Cell irons considered GI irons? No way!

That's where I would stick them. My impression of Cobra's line-up for 2013:

SGI: Baffler
GI: Amp Cell
GE: Amp Forged
Player's: Amp Cell Forged

Man, you have me wanting to take some swings with these things now, Howzat. I thought the pictures from the show made them look great and I couldn't care less about the size or offset. I've enjoyed having a larger iron in the bag over the last few months.

Awesome thoughts so far, sounds like the forgiveness may be a huge distinguishing factor on these. And the design details sound amazing.

To me this is a big improvement over the AMP's in terms of looks and I am really intrigued by the sole design. I think these will go along way to helping me hit more GIR's and get my handicap to single digits.

Awesome stuff. Really looking forward to hearing your thoughts leading up/during the MC and these.

Ok, interesting, I would have never considered the Amp Cell line to be a GI iron (btw, I have that term GI iron). That is one good looking GI iron then!!!

i am thoroughly intrigued now.
i'm guessing that the forgiveness of these may be hard to ignore when it comes time to place an order.
good thoughts Erik.

basically, i just need to go hit these tomorrow no matter what.

Man, you have me wanting to take some swings with these things now, Howzat. I thought the pictures from the show made them look great and I couldn't care less about the size or offset. I've enjoyed having a larger iron in the bag over the last few months.

I think these will compete nicely with the RocketBladez and X Hot offerings. Now I need to start pondering which color to go with. The white is nice but I am thinking red may be the ticket.

i am thoroughly intrigued now.
i'm guessing that the forgiveness of these may be hard to ignore when it comes time to place an order.
good thoughts Erik.

basically, i just need to go hit these tomorrow no matter what.

As pretty as I think the AMP Cell Forged are I am almost sure these will be in the bag. They really seem to be the right iron for where my game is right now. I would spend a little time with them before you rule them out.

If using wedges that are not part of this set, say the Trusty Rusty, what would the make up be? I'd keep the PW which is 44* but what would my Gap be? A 48* or because since the face of the amps is so hot and the Trusty is a more traditional face would you go different? Confused with all these super hot faces and the new standards for lofts.

I think I would go 49* and 55* with the Trusty Rusty's. I currently go 46* to 50* and don't feel there is enough of a gap but your question is a good one so now I am re-thinking things a bit.

I think I would go 49* and 55* with the Trusty Rusty's. I currently go 46* to 50* and don't feel there is enough of a gap but your question is a good one so now I am re-thinking things a bit.

Thanks for moving this question to here. I was putting together a set last night just to kill time and got stuck at wedges with the AMPs. With the faces being so hot and the lofts jacked up I just had no clue where to start with them. I would stay with the AMP wedges but I much prefer a more "Blade" style wedge over a cavity. Like, it you're hitting your PW (44*) with the AMPs say, 145yards, then I would think to keep the yardage gaps accurate you would need a gap wedge in a more traditional wedge that was closer to a 9 iron? I hit traditional lofted 9 iron 135 so is that the loft Wedge I would get? MY HEAD IS SPINNING!

Thanks for moving this question to here. I was putting together a set last night just to kill time and got stuck at wedges with the AMPs. With the faces being so hot and the lofts jacked up I just had no clue where to start with them. I would stay with the AMP wedges but I much prefer a more "Blade" style wedge over a cavity. Like, it you're hitting your PW (44*) with the AMPs say, 145yards, then I would think to keep the yardage gaps accurate you would need a gap wedge in a more traditional wedge that was closer to a 9 iron? I hit traditional lofted 9 iron 135 so is that the loft Wedge I would get? MY HEAD IS SPINNING!

Not to move your question again but I think you should start a seperate thread with this question because I think it is will really get some discussion going. After hitting the AMP Cell's today and seeing a distance gain I have more questions than answers.

Not to move your question again but I think you should start a seperate thread with this question because I think it is will really get some discussion going. After hitting the AMP Cell's today and seeing a distance gain I have more questions than answers.

Yeah, good idea. Thanks man

Without hitting any of them besides the Amp Forged I'd say those sound about right!

As pretty as I think the AMP Cell Forged are I am almost sure these will be in the bag. They really seem to be the right iron for where my game is right now. I would spend a little time with them before you rule them out.

You and I are in the same boat. I don't think these irons should be overlooked by anyone out there, including guys in the MC

You and I are in the same boat. I don't think these irons should be overlooked by anyone out there, including guys in the MC

I think I am going to change my avatar to Cobra's slogan "Enjoy Golf". That is my primary goal this year and I think these irons will ensure that happens.

I think I am going to change my avatar to Cobra's slogan "Enjoy Golf". That is my primary goal this year and I think these irons will ensure that happens.

Nothing wrong with playing clubs that make the game a little easier right?

Nothing wrong with playing clubs that make the game a little easier right?

I need to face the fact that I only get to play 5-6 months out of the year a few times a week. Nothing wrong with having a little help.

I need to face the fact that I only get to play 5-6 months out of the year a few times a week. Nothing wrong with having a little help.

I saw Canadan demolish a course in Ohio with burner 2.0 irons. He seemed to enjoy it.

I saw Canadan demolish a course in Ohio with burner 2.0 irons. He seemed to enjoy it.

That's what I want to do this year. Demolish a golf course and put up some personal bests.

"Enjoy Golf" is never a bad thing!

I saw the blue cavity irons today. I didn't think they looked all that bad. I talk up the pro irons every day but every time I see these I think they are the ones for me. Like Erik said make gold easier.

I saw the blue cavity irons today. I didn't think they looked all that bad. I talk up the pro irons every day but every time I see these I think they are the ones for me. Like Erik said make gold easier.

I think I am leaning towards the red ones but the orange is still in play.

I think I am leaning towards the red ones but the orange is still in play.

I haven't seen either of those yet. I bet the red looks good

I haven't seen either of those yet. I bet the red looks good

I need to see them in person myself. I am thinking the red would match nicely with the KBS customs.

Having held the pro's in hand, it would be hard for me not to go that way if I were in you guys shoes. It just would!

Back