LarMoeCur

Reaction score
Handicap
Have you ever hit the ball so well that your score went up? I played yesterday and I hit the ball better than I ever have and still shot an 85. I air mailed almost every green. I shaped the ball exactly how I wanted low draws, high fades, ect. My distance control was AFU but man it felt good. I even hit a 19* Hybrid 250 yds into a green side bunker. I normally hit this club about 215. I was just killing the big stick to boot. My putting was pretty darn good too, but my score card didn't show it. My distance control on putts was great. I had tap in for second putts. None of my first putt would fall. I lip out atleast 5 times I burned the edge another 5 at least. I hit the pin 3 times with chips that didn't go in. It still was a great day. I wish I could have put it all together. I'm so close to shooting low I can taste it.

85 is not bad for a 10 HDCP, but no, I haven't been lucky enough to have a round that I hit it TOO well! I'm working on it though, but most of my shots still come up short, not long. Sounds like you lost close to 8 shots chipping and putting (I couldn't count all ten of the close putts, but some could have fallen for ya!).

That happens quite a bit with testing equipment. However I will say that if you lipped out 5 or so putts by burning the edges, and still shot 85, it sounds like the distance was not too much of a problem. That is a good thing. At my home course, when I air mail a green it is in the water about 75% of the time.

I think we all have had days where we strike it better then we score.I know it's happened to me more then 1 time.Usually my puttur fails on those days

The ball just carries so much farther with clean contact. Lucky for me the couse I played didn't have water behind the holes. I hit a bunch of shots that flew right over the flag stick.

After reviewing my round, I lost the bulk of my shots to putting and chipping. As a result of hitting the ball to far (never thought I'd say that). Point in case was the hybrid I hit 250. I hit a bomb of a drive on a 560 yard PAR 5. I had about 260 to the green. I was looking to hit a shot about 210 to 220 to leave me a good wedge yardage. Well, needless to say I hit it 250 into the bunker. It barely rolled in leaving it on the back edge. I had a very hard shot, I had to go up steep and hack it out. I didn't want to leave it in the bunker. So, I hit it to hard, leaving me a long putt back. Which I three putted for boggy. From birdie to boggy that quick.

Golf is a four letter word for a reason. I have had the same thing happen. Anyone who plays much will have it happen. There is a reason we drive for show and CHIP for dough! If you hit it over in regulation, then you gotta get up and down every time to shoot even par. If you are like me, you can get up and down about 50% of the time and that means a minimum of 9 bogeys, sprinkle in a few doubles where you made mistakes off the tee, and there is an 85 from a good ballstriking round... I hate logic!!!!

I had that yesterday, stuck a 195 yard 5 iron to under 10 feet, hit a 225 yard 5 wood to about 15 and then hit another 6 iron on a par 3 to within 15 again, and just couldn't do anything right on the putting green. Still a decent score for me 79, but I had such an opportunity to shoot +1 on the back. Of course I blew it.

I think that's the norm for a lot of people once they get a consistent swing down. Probably the same reason why you see no one practicing chippiing or putting at the range, etc.

If I had hit one less club for each hole. I could have shot in the 70's. My chipping was pretty solid. I just couldn't get anything to fall. I'm really looking forward to playing this weekend. If I can dial in the distance, I'll be in the 70's for sure. Single digit handicap here I come.

If I had hit one less club for each hole. I could have shot in the 70's. My chipping was pretty solid. I just couldn't get anything to fall. I'm really looking forward to playing this weekend. If I can dial in the distance, I'll be in the 70's for sure. Single digit handicap here I come.

I hope the Golf Gods don't see that... every time I say something like that, they get even with me...:D

I'm with you LMC. If I could control my tee shots better (worst thing about my game this year) I'd be shooting in the 80's. Of course if I could jump and shoot better I'd be playing in the NBA too. My short game from <125yds is really nice and my putting is the best its been but getting there has been an issue this year for me. May have to blame the arrow and not the indian and replace my driver with some newer tech.

Yeah, I have done that. It's been a while, and hopefully it will be short time before it happens again....lol When this happens, you just need to make an on course adjustment with regards to club selection, and enjoy the moment. Pure swings, with a great impact, and separation for armatures do not come around that often:clapp:

While that may or may not be true, I could usually say "If I hit one more club per hole . . ." but the chips could actually be a long putt instead, and your score could likely be about the same. Especially if the chipping is solid, a chip and a putt is the same as hitting the green and two putting.

I just wish I had the problem you had of hitting over the greens in your last round. I get a few, but most are short. Although by taking more club than I think I need I am getting on the green better with my approaches (not necessarily for a GIR but not chipping because I am short of the green as much). I'm noticing that I am more off to the side of the greens than I used to be also.

Yep. This has certainly happened to me...and more often of late. I've been playing for almost four years but this is the first year that I have actually really understood what it was that I was really trying to do with my swing (if that makes any kind of sense to the reader.) I find that as my swing gets better, my distance with each club improves. It seems however that these improvements come while I am on the course as opposed to always on the practice range. Last week for example, by understanding---for the first time---what it took to keep grip pressure at the same level THROUGHOUT my swing, I am pretty sure that I added a club and a half in length and flew several greens and added three or four more strokes to my score. But such is progress...and I ain't complaining---at all. I too think that pretty soon, I will be shooting in the 80's on a consistent basis because of the improvements in my swing and understanding.

Yup, happens to me too, but I'm pretty new to the game, so my swing is just simply inconsistent.

Back