Is Your Glass Half Full?

I do my best to stay positive, I definitely play better that way. But when I get the shanks . . . :at-wits-end: . . . :banghead: . . .:angry: . . . I just can't do it.

I never sweat the little stuff, and it all little stuff on the golf course:clapp:

I try really hard to stay upbeat and find good things to say about my playing partners' games (usually not hard!). For my own, I just try not to use actual curse words.

I try and keep cool after a bad shot.After all I'm learning to get out of all kinds of trouble.Hell it isn't any fun without the challenge.

I have a tendency to get very angry at my self when things aren't going my way. But I can generally turn them into motivating actions so I suppose that's a positive.

Today I was surpised by myself, I took an 8 on the first hole and was not angry.

It's a cliche' to be sure, but that old saying "you are not good enough to get mad" goes a long ways on a golf course. :D

I expect too much of myself ... and WAY too much of other people, so I'm usually disappointed.

When it comes to athletics, I have incredibly high standards for my performance.

Ditto. It's not an easy way to go through life because SOME people will ALWAYS dissapoint. I have been trying for years to convince myself that peoples' sensibilities are just different....and to deal with it. It's also why I'm spending an inordinate amount of time on the range lately. I want to be able to hit every club perfectly (most of the time) or I'm not satisfied. I basically use the golf course as a barometer for what I need to do on the range for the next week! Sad, but true.

I get mad at myself but I try to keep it to myself.Why ruin other players day.

It's a cliche' to be sure, but that old saying "you are not good enough to get mad" goes a long ways on a golf course. :D

I don't buy that.

Getting mad means that you care and that you either want to be better or know that you are but are not performing to your expectations. Scoring an eight on a hole and then putting on a "Stepford Smile" to me means that you're settling for complacency.

Believe me, I've thrown more than my share of clubs in my day and I've used every conceivable combination of words and phrases to express my anger, but I got better because I was mad and tired of "taking it". The way I saw it was that I don't deserve an eight, I deserve par or better and that's that and come hell or high water, that's what I intend to get.

Everybody's different, but for me saying "Gosh Darnit" through a forced smile will never take the place of a loudly shouted phrase beginning with the word "mother" when it comes to expressing frustration. :thumb:

There's something very cleansing about that.
I get the anger out, I flush out my system and then I focus on the next task. But I don't bottle it up or try to tell myself that I'm not worthy.

I'm "worthy" and that's all there is to it.

-JP

My point wasn't about cursing, but rather that some people are never satisfied and/or tend to focus on the negative rather than the positive. After I had a particularly bad round one one day - one where I looked like I had never held a club in my life before that day, a friend with a single digit handicap asked me if I was frustrated. I wasn't - if I allowed myself to focus on the negative - I never would have gone back.

I don't buy that.

Getting mad means that you care and that you either want to be better or know that you are but are not performing to your expectations. Scoring an eight on a hole and then putting on a "Stepford Smile" to me means that you're settling for complacency.

Believe me, I've thrown more than my share of clubs in my day and I've used every conceivable combination of words and phrases to express my anger, but I got better because I was mad and tired of "taking it". The way I saw it was that I don't deserve an eight, I deserve par or better and that's that and come hell or high water, that's what I intend to get.

Everybody's different, but for me saying "Gosh Darnit" through a forced smile will never take the place of a loudly shouted phrase beginning with the word "mother" when it comes to expressing frustration. :thumb:

There's something very cleansing about that.
I get the anger out, I flush out my system and then I focus on the next task. But I don't bottle it up or try to tell myself that I'm not worthy.

I'm "worthy" and that's all there is to it.

-JP

Between that and your thoughts on the playing partners you like and dislike, you sound like a joy to play with....hehe

:D:D:act-up:

Between that and your thoughts on the playing partners you like and dislike, you sound like a joy to play with....hehe

As long as he didn't throw his clubs, I'd take "cursing" guy over "whining" or "excuse" guy.

Hey as long as we don't get into an argument about cast versus forged, we'd be fine.

I take the game seriously and I take it to heart - that's who I am.

I've always said that I don't care what a person says about anything or what their position on various topics are just as long as their words and thoughts are genuine.

I can't stand phony people or insincere people.

-JP

As long as he didn't throw his clubs, I'd take "cursing" guy over "whining" or "excuse" guy.

Is "I suck!" whining or an excuse?

I buy that. I've shot rounds with 2 "friends" that are beginners. One introduced me to the game. He shoots about 114 to 120 with mulligans off the tees. He smokes a lot of weed and has long since quit golf and has gone back to video games. He's 28 years old. The drugs would probably explain the mood swings. Last round I played with this guy he starts to chunk every iron shot and gets so mad and starts ranting so bad he leaves the rest of the group speechless. We just stare at our shoes not knowing what to think or say. I have never played another round with him since. He simply did not have game enough to get that upset. This other guy went and bought some clubs to play golf with me as I'm the only neighbor in the condo's that plays. He's a total scrub. The only golf he's played has been with me and that's four rounds. He can crank of a good shot maybe 10 per round and that leaves about 130 bad shots in his game. He's about 26 years old and he thinks that he is a natural athlete and that alone should make him good at golf. He will take no advise, thinks he knows it all and will throw a true hissy fit 130 times a round. He acts like he can't believe how off his game is when he has never experienced game yet. He's pathetic. He hits 3 balls into a creek about 30 yards in front of the tee and breaks his club in anger. He starts yelling at his girlfriend as she is always a ride along. His girlfriend. Heather. She has been my friend since I bought my condo. She is a neighbor. She hooked up with Anthony and that's how he became part of the neighborhood and now my golf "buddy" She knows he's crazy but wants him to fit in. I can't stand playing golf with him and would have told him to kiss off long ago except for Heather is a dear friend. I really worry about her relationship with this wacko as she is now pregnant. I see the worry in her too but she's hoping for the best. I love golf and I love Heather but I cannot stand playing golf with this guy. What would you do? Anyway Prov is right. You have to experience good game before you can be that upset over a bad round. That's just plain crazy.

Today I was surpised by myself, I took an 8 on the first hole and was not angry.

When I do that....as I always do..

it's my first phrase of the round:

"And so it begins"

And at the 18th tee:

"The pain is almost over"

What's silly about this argument is that it implies that there is actually a tangible and identifiable point at which one is officially: "good enough to get mad".

How is this point determined and who determines it?

-JP

What's silly about this argument is that it implies that there is actually a tangible and identifiable point at which one is officially: "good enough to get mad".

How is this point determined and who determines it?

-JP

If you have to ask you're obviously not good enough to get mad:D

you determine it yourself but if you have never had a lesson. Never had range time. Never had more than 2 or 3 rounds in your life and it makes you insane then what are you doing playing the game. I think breaking clubs when you are a total noob is a strong indication you have chosen the wrong sport.

you determine it yourself but if you have never had a lesson. Never had range time. Never had more than 2 or 3 rounds in your life and it makes you insane then what are you doing playing the game. I think breaking clubs when you are a total noob is a strong indication you have chosen the wrong sport.

As one of my friends like to say: "I've never seen a good angry golfer".

As one of my friends like to say: "I've never seen a good angry golfer".

That's true if that golfer is angry all of the time.

But there's nothing wrong with getting mad at a bad shot and expressing anger and frustration at that moment. That's one of the reasons I like watching Tiger so much - we share the same style of anger. When I hit a bad shot, I let loose with whatever comes to mind at that moment. But ten or fifteen seconds later, I'm back to normal and by the time I get to my ball, I've forgotten all about whatever happened and I'm focused on the next shot.

I think that's a fine way to handle anger issues.

There was a time long ago when I would walk around with this dark cloud over my head because of something that happened three holes prior and that would keep me from playing as good as I could because I wouldn't "let it go". But over the years, I learned to "let it go" and I leave the anger behind and simply move on and as a result, my game has improved quite a bit.

But when I want to get mad, I get mad and I don't try to stop it and I don't apologize for it. I just get it out, get it over with and get on with it.

-JP

Right now Diane my glass is empty :beat-up:

Back