2013 Bridgestone e7 Golf Ball Forum Testing Thread

Update:

Played the e7 today at a par 66 short course. Pulled the driver out twice all day. The e7 proved itself to hold its line true on sort and mid irons. Was able to account for the additional roll out that e7 has on chips and pitch shots and had much better reults because of that.

I will note that two balls scuffed really bad. Didnt even bother to play those again. One hit the cart path and I expected it too look like it did but the other was off a well struck 54* wedge. That caught me totally off guard and was surpised because I have been playing the 2013 e7 for a few rounds and never had an issue. I did switch wedges from the 588 forged to the TM xFT wedges so dont know if that played a role or not. The 2013 e7 has a slighlt softer cover than the 2012 model bur disnt exoect it to scuff off a wedge.

The ball felt very similiar to the 2012 e6 off the putter. I was switching between the 2 all day and had no issues with distance control in the e7 when I would putt with it direcrly after the 2012 e6. I also had a hard time telling the difference between the 2 off the putter face, both felt very similar.

Tapping away on my S3

Jeff which course are you going to test these at? I didn't know if Elk Creek "Timberlake" was open or if you were going to Heritage hills to test.

Alright, my promised numbers from comparisons is a little late due to my wife taking the only decent laptop with her to a conference this past week. These test were done in a practice booth at the PGA Superstore over a couple days. First was the e7 vs the B330s and the next day was the e7 vs the new ProV1 in a different booth same store. All shots were with a Cleveland Classic 310 8.5* with Kusala Black 61X.

This is with the B330s
image_zps4fca23e5.jpg
[/IMG]

This is with the e7
image_zpsfd4e1d13.jpg
[/IMG]

I hit 10 shots with each here. As you can see the e7 was a little longer on average than the B330s. But these all these numbers are uncharacteristically short for me and my swing speed and ball speed. Though I was having some issues with making good contact on the face. On to the next set of numbers...

This is with the new ProV1 (only 5 shots)
image_zps58a87ce5.jpg
[/IMG]

This is with the e7
image_zpsd95a262d.jpg
[/IMG]

This time the numbers were a little more like it distance wise. The spin numbers were a little better but still a little higher than what I want or expect. Here the e7 averaged about 5 yards more carry than the ProV1 and better ball speed but a little wider dispersion. I am looking to getting some more numbers with my new R1 and optimize the launch and spin and then see what the e7 is going to do.

Last edited:
Woah. How is your SS 112 and your carry 230? That's not right.

NoLine,
I'm getting the same results as far as minimal sidespin and also a lack of distance improvement. I am guessing that in my case I am probably not compressing the ball enough to get maximum distance performance. My swing speed is probably sub-90 more times than not. I've only measured it once and it was 86-90 with 90 being my best.

I do enjoy the consistency and control and I feel like I'm learning a lot from this test. I plan to buy a dozen E6 also to see which ball suits my game the best. Either way I'll probably be playing all Bridgestone balls this year as I have learned so much about them and they have, along with THP, given me this great opportunity.

Good point on the compression - I'm swinging the driver at 94/95 right now, certainly not compressing it like I would prefer but nothing has changed in the SS arena over the past year so distance comparisons between balls on my front are pretty easy. I'm taking the e7 for another run today, similar conditions here in North Texas for the 3rd straight Sunday - mid-60's, moderate winds.

Good stuff wluker!

I played 18 today with my e7 and once again enjoyed the ball. It's very consistent and I'm getting good distance off both irons and woods. I can report that the e7 doesn't float, so that's a bummer. Durability was once again great, but one hit on a cart path makes it unplayable but I haven't had a problem with irons or wedges scuffing the cover. I am missing my b330rx around the greens but I'm learning to adjust.

Played my first round with the new E7 today and would echo the reviews in that it still goes long, but feels a little softer than the older version. And very durable. I have been hitting E6. Definitely a good ball as well.

Practice with the E7

Didn't get to play this weekend, because of snow, but, I was able to get out this afternoon and hit some balls with no one on the course. I went down on the first hole and just hit 7 irons. I still have 10 balls, even with all the golf I have played with them. I just hit to a spot in the fairway and walked up and hit them back. I worked on cutting the ball and then drawing the ball. Alternating between groups. I tell all this not to highlight my practice, but, to see how the E7 performed when I hit the ball solid.

Cuts

The E7 is not hard to work. I was able to hit about a 5-7 yard cut repeatedly. The first couple I over cut a little, but, after that I was able to get it to repeat and barely had to walk to pick up my balls. I don't hit it real far so 155-160 uphill was the distance off a flat lie at the bottom of the hill. Consistent distance, consistent height, consistent cut to consistent spot. Misses were not drastic and I was never in danger of losing a ball. I still hit a skull or a fatty now and then. The E7 can't fix those. Solid shots are very predictable from the E7. You can see from my sig, that I am hitting the 588 Altitudes. They are like cheating and paired with the E7, it is just fun to hit it right now.

Draws

This is my natural shot shape. I am not going to go into a lot of detail here. Let's just say more of the same in the opposite direction. Less misses, because, I don't have to think about hitting a draw. Hit from a flat spot in the fairway downhill. Ball landing about 170-175, 5 yard draw and not much run out, very wet. Same story though, consistent and predictable.

The other day my playing partner said my golf was boring....as he paid me our Nassau. :D Thank you Bridgestone and THP for boring golf.

Okay well I played a round and had a write up a few days ago but I am disappointed that I didnt post it. I think I typed it up and walked away from the computer and lost it. Sorry everyone... My computer mustve fell asleep and locked out.

Looks
As far as looks go, I think this ball is one of the classiest looking balls bridgestone has ever released. I am a huge fan of the grey numbers and I just love the way it sets up to my eye. Very pleasing and very calming. I thought I would feel weird looking down at the double dimples but to be honest I didnt even notice them.

Durability
These balls' durability are second to none. I have several wedges in my hand and failed to do any sort of harm to these golf balls. These golf balls will be playable until you lose them, without a doubt. There were plenty of opportunities for this ball to be damaged from grooves and even a hardwood tree :bye: but every shot and every hole I was left with a ball that looked and felt brand new after a quick wipe every single time.

Distance
This ball is shining at the moment in the distance category for me. This ball, in sub-45 temps is playing to my summer yardages. Thats big this time of year. I picked up roughly 12 yards on the ProV1X and about 9 on the Srixon Trispeed. After flying a few of the first greens I was able to play without clubbing up due to cold.

I love the way this ball flies in a draw formation and for a fade I love how strong it holds up. Weak fades are helped by this offering from bridgestone which I believe can help us all on those bad misses. The distance into and into cross winds were something I were extremely fond of, which I will touch on in a few posts.

Feel
This ball to me does not feel nearly as hard as the distance rocks that are put out by all too many companies these days. The feel is firm yet pleasant off of the driver and the same off the irons. Around the greens and for touch shots I feel this ball blends well with the performance based balls offered by all the major OEMs, but just doesnt carry the same spin qualities.

Spin
I feel that a lack of spin in this golf ball, due to its distance-based build, will help amateur golfers build a complete and consistent short game without having to guess what the golf ball is going to do. Too many times amateur golfers get aggressive and yell "SPIN!" or play timidly in hopes that it will roll out. This ball, although it can check up slightly, will play very consistently and predictably from shot to shot. Amateurs who play that accordingly and learn to use the consistency to the advantage will gain great things from this ball.

Approaches
Approaches were something I was pleasantly pleased with from this bridgestone offering. My approaches held up well into the wind and sidespin was at a minimum. I am known for missing greens pin high but left and right and I truly feel my dispersion was tightened by this golf ball. I found myself hitting it closer where I would normally be left with long putts, and catching corners of greens when normally I would miss off by a few yards. Not a large change, but enough to shave strokes by catching greens and 2 putting rather than having to chip on, and still be 2 putting.

Putting
With the putter I had trouble getting the ball to the hole but playing a soft putter on slow greens will do that to you. My lines were great on the greens and this ball rolled as expected. Very average feeling off the putter which IMO is a win for a distance ball. I feel bridgestone has nailed it with this golf ball.

WIND PLAY
Earlier on I commented on wind play and I wanted to touch on this a little further. This offering from bridgestone is incredible in the wind. I found myself hanging balls out to the left or right waiting for the wind to push them back in and it just didnt happen with the same flight as it did with other golf balls, including the ProV1X. Even with powerful draws and fades, into and with the wind, this ball was predictable! Once I noticed this and began to trust it, I was able to aim for corners of greens and trust the minimal effect the wind has on this golf ball. I have always found that premium balls are 100% unstable in the wind and in cross winds and this ball is the complete opposite. Into the wind I found minimal distance loss as well as minimal pushing from left to right. Hooking or Slicing dead into the wind can absolutely murder a score, but still I found this to be so minimal I was amazed. Of course, you can REALLY miss one and it wont matter regardless but on minor misses this ball was a rock star. This ball is starting to really open my eyes to what other categories of golf balls can be good for me aside from the premium ones, and I will keep this ball in mind when I am making my Morgan Cup selections. I am a fan of the E-series and will continue to keep an eye on those threads as this process continues!

That was my thought too. I just have a hard time putting too much emphasis on LM numbers.

With that said, it is interesting to see that the e7 was longer than the B330s and ProV1. So far, I have not noticed increased distance with the e7 compared to the B330.

Had a chance to play with the e7 again on Sunday, great weather day in North Texas - 70 degree's, sunny and little to no wind. Played with my setup of XHot Woods and Rocketbladz irons.

All previous observations around feel, dispersion, and distance regression were still present today except for something I haven't seen which is the hot ball. I've been playing the Rocketbladz irons since Thanksgiving and have their distances dialed in over 12 rounds. Yesterday I had 4 instances where the e7 jumped 10 to 12 yards further on well struck irons. Really have no idea why, haven't experienced this with the Rocketbladz to date when combined with the TP3 ball. It's also odd in that I'm not getting distance gains on my woods with the e7 while I have seen gains with these woods when paired with the XHot Pro and TP3.

I'm a bit stumped on this ball right now, absolutely love the dispersion I get with it but there are of course other factors to consider when gaming a ball.

Spin
I feel that a lack of spin in this golf ball, due to its distance-based build, will help amateur golfers build a complete and consistent short game without having to guess what the golf ball is going to do. Too many times amateur golfers get aggressive and yell "SPIN!" or play timidly in hopes that it will roll out. This ball, although it can check up slightly, will play very consistently and predictably from shot to shot. Amateurs who play that accordingly and learn to use the consistency to the advantage will gain great things from this ball

I have always found that premium balls are 100% unstable in the wind and in cross winds and this ball is the complete opposite.

Those are both pretty spot-on remarks from my experience as well.

Here's my take on spin and why I don't mind a ball like the e6 or e7, especially when it comes to greenside work. I think spin is unpredictable. At least when it comes to guys like me that play golf a couple times a week at most. I didn't exactly form that opinion all on my own, but reading something Pelz said and some observation sort of got me thinking.

Take a straightforward chip shot for example. People get hooked on the idea that they need to fire a ball in there that's going to spin hard. However, marginal execution can throw that off (even with the softest cover in the world) and they are looking at a long putt or maybe another chip shot. Or, if they throw a little sidespin in the mix they may see a ball that checks funny and scoots to the side. I'd rather throw the ball up there knowing it's going to hit and release because it's going to be easier for me to plan on the result.

In addition, with the 40-100 yard game there isn't much of a reason why a ball like this can't be controlled. You just have to change what your version of control is. I think the Chromax testing thread showed that (from my perspective) quite well. That ball has nothing in it that indicates it should spin, but it will. I showed pictures of two 100 yard shots (9:00 swing PW's basically). On the firmer green I saw about 6-8 feet of roll out. On the wet green I saw about a foot. Maybe you see 3 times that with a 40 yard pitch, but you could always bring the ball in higher, or hit it shorter knowing it will roll.

I get the allure of spin, but I constantly am reminded why it's not as precise or as necessary as we want to tell ourselves it is.

Yeah, this is why I only really look at a few of those numbers like backspin, launch angle and ball speed.

And while the distance numbers may not be very accurate, I think the test still works for a decent comparison because it is on the same machine at the same time.

I'm planning on getting some more testing in this afternoon and hopefully have a report in a little quicker than last time.

Round #3 I played 36 today and the ball performs very well. It released more on the greens today as they are a little firmer and dryer than in the past 2 rounds. Distance and control are great just no action on the green even wth a full wedge that i tend to always back up. Overall I am very pleased with the performance of the E7.

Played round #5 today with e7. Played a full 18 but opted to use the e7 for the front 9 and my current mix of gamers on the back 9 to compare.

Results

Found 6/7 FW on the front 9 with the e7 off the tee. All tee shots were with the Driver except for one were I opted for a 3 wood. This was very exciting and thats an all time high for me for 9 holes. What was eye opening was on the back 9 I found 0/7 FW with a Mix of my current gamers (2013 Nike 20xi-x and Penta TP). The addes sidespin off the tee withvthe Nike's and Pentas put me either in the 1st cut or in the rough. Still very playable but not in the FW. This opened my eyes more so than before to the added side spin I get off the "tour" balls off the tee and how straight in comparison the e7 is.

I shot an even 44/44 split. As I mentioned earlier I hit ZERO FW's on the back 9 amd as a direct result hit ZERO greens but scored much better with my Nike's and Penta's around the green. This is a not a surprise to me because I am much more comfortable chipping or pitching the ball closer to the whole and allowing "spin" to hold the green instead of playing the "release" game as is necessary with the e7.

Out of alll my rounds with the e7 (5 in total) this was by far my best round as well as the most indicative of the performance of the e7 for me. I still have 1 sleeve left coming up on 1 month with the ball

Tapping away on my S3

Those are both pretty spot-on remarks from my experience as well.

Here's my take on spin and why I don't mind a ball like the e6 or e7, especially when it comes to greenside work. I think spin is unpredictable. At least when it comes to guys like me that play golf a couple times a week at most. I didn't exactly form that opinion all on my own, but reading something Pelz said and some observation sort of got me thinking.

Take a straightforward chip shot for example. People get hooked on the idea that they need to fire a ball in there that's going to spin hard. However, marginal execution can throw that off (even with the softest cover in the world) and they are looking at a long putt or maybe another chip shot. Or, if they throw a little sidespin in the mix they may see a ball that checks funny and scoots to the side. I'd rather throw the ball up there knowing it's going to hit and release because it's going to be easier for me to plan on the result.

In addition, with the 40-100 yard game there isn't much of a reason why a ball like this can't be controlled. You just have to change what your version of control is. I think the Chromax testing thread showed that (from my perspective) quite well. That ball has nothing in it that indicates it should spin, but it will. I showed pictures of two 100 yard shots (9:00 swing PW's basically). On the firmer green I saw about 6-8 feet of roll out. On the wet green I saw about a foot. Maybe you see 3 times that with a 40 yard pitch, but you could always bring the ball in higher, or hit it shorter knowing it will roll.

I get the allure of spin, but I constantly am reminded why it's not as precise or as necessary as we want to tell ourselves it is.

Great post Hawk, I think this is exactly why I love the V2 so much. While discussing the gamer v2 during our round sunday he told me I need to give the E7 another try. When I run out of V2's that is exactly what I am going to do. Keep it up everyone with the reviews.

While I don't have actual numbers to put up now, I did compare the e7 to the Srixon Z-Star last night. I have to say that the Z-Star is probably my favorite ball right now. I love how it feels off the driver and around the greens. Very soft but with really good distance for me. I didn't want to put up numbers because the monitors were not acting right and numbers would be skewed. What I did feel was that, predictably, the e7 felt a little firmer off the face and was very similar in terms of carry and overall distance. The Z-Star might have had a slight advantage in ball speed but I didn't get an average. I want to see 160+mph ball speed and I saw a few more in that range with the z-star than the e7 but not many. I was having to work on my swing a bit as well as trying to dial in the R1. I hope to get some actual course time in very soon.

On the course right now and just wrapped up playing 9.

On course thoughts and observations.

1.) This ball goes! 9th hole, long and straight par 5, I put 4 of 6 in the middle of the fairway. Each clustered within 10 yards if each other. I don't feel like I gained any distance from the TM Penta TP5 I played most of last year. Ball flight was a touch lower than I expected, but not bad.

2.) Um, maybe Bridgestone stamped my balls wrong, because these do NOT behave like a distance ball for me off the wedges. I am stunned at how well these are behaving for me on chips and pitches. I'm getting hop, hop, roll a couple inches and stop. I'm really impressed with this "distance" ball, and it having a little finesse around the greens.

I'll get home and write up some more later.

Alright, boys and squirrels, I told you I would write up some thoughts after my round and here they are. Mother Nature allowed me to get out for 9 holes today, followed by some short game and putting practice afterwards.

Today - 55 Degrees, SE winds at 10-15 MPH, very soft conditions on the course due to melting snow.

I won't get into every aspect of my round, because this was my first 9 holes of 2013, so needless to say, there was some rust to work off. In addition to some sloppy conditions to contend with.

I went off the first tee with a 2012 Bridgestone e7 and a 2013 Bridgestone e7. I can't say that I felt a difference in one ball from the other and you would have to have Spidey Sense to do so, I believe. I pulled the 2012 version left of the fairway (my typical miss is a pull left) and actually put a good move on the 2013 and hit a big draw down the center of the fairway, coming to rest just a few feet off the left side of the fairway. Considering the wind was blowing right to left on me, the fact that the draw was as nice and tight as it was, was very nice to see. The trajectory was a little lower than I would like to see off the driver, but I was also playing my 910 a click lower lofted than I probably normally would play. So, I am not going to say the trajectory is something I am worried about. I didn't see any distance gain from the 2013 e7, compared to what I have typically been playing (Srixon Z-Star, TM Penta TP5). The feel off the driver was what you would expect from a distance ball, but not anything near the rock feeling I have felt with other distance balls in the past (Looking at you Nike Mojo, Callaway Warbird). The ball rang nicely off the club face, but still feels a little heavier than I am comfortable playing.

I did almost a carbon copy on the second hole, off the tee, that I did on the first. Pulled the 2012 e7 and hit a big draw with the 2013 e7. Ehhhh. Not sure what to say about that. I don't think the 2013 e7 is handling my pull better, but it is odd that it's ending up in more manageable situations. Take that for whatever it is worth. I squished the 2013 e7 and still don't feel like I am gaining any yardage over my typical gamers.

I'll skip ahead to Hole 6, a 180 yard Par 3. I hit 6 iron off the tee and really hit a good shot. Mid-trajectory, straight and held up in the right to left wind really well. I really wasn't too impressed with how the ball felt off the face of the iron. It felt a little harsh, even though I caught the ball flush, on one of my best iron shots of the day. I get up to the green and my ball is resting on the fringe, with my ball mark about a foot behind the ball. I knew I had stuck it, but I was pretty surprised to see that. As I said, the course was pretty soggy today. In normal conditions in the heat of August, I may not stick that shot like I did. But, it was good to see, regardless.

Hole 9 is a straight, Par 5. I emptied out two sleeves of 2013 e7's and just ripped away. I ended up with 4 of 6 balls, dead center of the fairway. My two misses were pulls left of the fairway. 4 of 6, dead center of the fairway. There aren't many of us that wouldn't take that, all day long. 3 of those 4 were draws, but my best shot came on a beautiful, nice high cut. That was also my longest of the bunch. Again, I am not enamored with the feel of the ball off the club face, but as I said, it is nowhere near as harsh as most distance balls that come to mind.

Where this ball really blew my doors off, was around the green. I wrapped up my round and went to the practice green for some pitching, chipping and putting. I threw down my 6 e7's and 2 B330's and proceeded to hit 30 yard pitches. I seriously thought there might be a chance that Bridgestone labeled my testing balls wrong. I was caught off guard at how well the e7's were checking up and holding. Soft conditions or not, getting a distance ball to check up after one hop or two, is kind of impressive. I walked across the green to gather my balls and I believe my words were, "Well I'll be damned". Now, I am not saying these are suddenly the perfect all around ball, but if you overlook this ball because "distance balls lack spunk around the greens", you may be making a mistake. Whether these balls check and hold as well when the greens get dry and crispy, remains to be seen. But, today, they were and that is kind of exciting.

It's 9 holes, with swing rust and course muck, but the 2013 e7 was a really pleasant experience today (and I didn't lose any!). I wouldn't buy this ball expecting to give you a tour ball experience, but they do deserve a purchase and a try out. I think this ball may be a damn fine cold weather, soft conditions ball and one that may catch you off guard a time or two as well.

Can't wait to get back at it when Mother Nature allows me to.

Good info Jeff. I saw the exact same thing off the tee yesterday though I did not see the same green side spin with the e7 as you did. I cant get this ball to check and bite dor anything. Ive managed to control the rollot by hitting higher shots onto the green.

On all Par 3' thats I have played with the e7 I have seen similiar results as to where the e7 has stopped on or VERY near its divot!

Tapping away on my S3

Good info Jeff. I saw the exact same thing off the tee yesterday though I did not see the same green side spin with the e7 as you did. I cant get this ball to check and bite dor anything. Ive managed to control the rollot by hitting higher shots onto the green.

On all Par 3' thats I have played with the e7 I have seen similiar results as to where the e7 has stopped on or VERY near its divot!

Tapping away on my S3

At first I was hitting high chips and stopping them. Ok. Nothing real exciting there. Then, I was noticing they were hopping, hopping and stopping on pitches. I was like, well, that's not supposed to happen. I was pleasantly surprised, to say the least.

Jeff which course are you going to test these at? I didn't know if Elk Creek "Timberlake" was open or if you were going to Heritage hills to test.

Dude, I am terribly sorry, I just now saw this. I was at Timber Lake, or Elk Creek as I learned it is named today. If you ever want to grab a round and hit a few of these, let me know. Again, sorry I missed your question.

Back