Reaction score
Handicap
USGA 14
Always a hot button issue. Through the years, I've seen many friends drop the game because they just don't have the time. Factoring in time driving to the course, warming up, maybe a beer afterwards and driving home, 18 holes during the weekend can easily and often turn into a full day, when the round itself is 5+ hours. No doubt the game is losing players and not attracting others when presented with the sheer amount of time involved with a simple round.

But we're all familiar with the issues of slow play. Really, what can public courses do about it other than have pushy rangers patrolling the course, respond to complaints of players that have had enough, or post suggestions for ready golf on their score card? There seem to be a few basic ways to limit slow play by laying out some guidelines at the beginning of the round and maybe all that would help, but I've tried thinking of a few other, different ideas and always wondered if one of them had any potential.

One of the reasons golf may be waning in popularity, at least in the U.S., is the obsession with stroke play. You go out, hit your ball a bunch of times, then add up your score. Most of the time for most of us, that score is not as good as we wanted or expected. So we go to the range, take a lesson, etc., go back out, and measure ourselves with that score again and again. Yet golf has so much more to offer. There are so many different scoring and playing formats that are more fun if you're out there, and allow a lot more enjoyment. Some of these formats let you enjoy yourself because you're focusing on shots and individual holes, not an end score.

SO, my suggestion is that during peak times when a course faces the biggest crowds, insist on Foursomes as the playing format. Foursomes is a format where four golfers play with two balls only, alternate shot. First of all, the Honourable Company of Edinburgh Golfers, at Muirfield (ranked 9th on Golf Magazine's best courses in the world, was as high as 3rd at one point - the Open will be hosted there this year) ONLY uses this format. They do so because it's efficient, but also because of tradition. You can actually get through a round of 18 in under 3 hours. There are a number of other reasons why this is a good idea. You compete against the other two some and obviously there are handicap allowances to even the playing field. So you have the entire group engaging each other, creating a healthy sense of competition and turning the round into more than each golfer worried about his final score than each shot and each hole. Would you have a better time if that shot you stuck from 160 out won your team that hole, or the match, instead of being indifferent to that shot because that snowman you got on the 3rd hole already ruined your score for the round? Match play also gets you thinking a lot more about the course, how to manage it and how to get the ball where you want, as opposed to your swing mechanics. And you'll become a better player, hitting shots from places you otherwise wouldn't encounter. And who cares if you're out there as a single? You meet some new people, spend a couple hours with them and have a blast. It's the same thing as going to the local basketball court for a pick up game. I'm telling you, this would work. Players having more fun and speeding up play, all by looking to how it's done in old Scotland. If it's good enough for them, then you bet it's good enough for us. And if you're hell bent on getting that stroke round in, show up when the course is open and you can focus on your score instead of the crowds.

How could this not catch on? You're telling me there aren't courses that wouldn't see an INCREASE in play and a DECREASE in time per round if they did this during the weekends? Let's see some course shake things up and try this. As the number of courses have been dwindling for years and the Tiger boom is receding, isn't it about time some of these courses did something different? OR if a foursome is slowing up play, give them a warning and if still nothing, MAKE them go to foursome. You'd never get so many slow players thanking the course for making them change things up.

Anyways, I like the idea. I know there would be a big problem with folks not being able to go out and post a score, but I tend to think it would be better for the game long term if there was more of an emphasis on team competition. If I had to choose between foursomes golf in the morning or 5+ hours for a round so I get to post a score I'll probably wish was lower, I'd take foursomes every time.

I'm interested in hearing anyone's thoughts on this.

People pay a whole bunch of money and are forced to take half the strokes and dont know how they score on their own? Not likely. I wouldnt mind it! But not likely.

I think it is an interesting idea. I fear many would perceive they were paying full price for half a round. Also, I think it would be uncomfortable for most to play this format with complete strangers.

Well, I would rather a public course not force customers to play golf by their rules.

Slow play is part of the game unfortunately. There is nothing that I can think of to get rid of it.

That will never work. People don't pay to play like that.

When you said Foursomes, I thought you were going to say to not allow groups of one, two or three golfers. THAT I can get behind. But not playing alternate shot.

No thanks. I'd rather play a full 18 on my own ball. Even if it takes a bit longer.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

Weekend hackers with Alternate shot? While it may be quick for some, I dont see it solving the problem for most.

I pay to play my own round of golf, not split my shots with someone else.

Best idea I have heard is a post-round rebate/credit for finishing your round under a specific time limit. Only downfall is that then you are going to have people even more disgruntled when they run into a group on the course that is playing slow.

I wish golf would just go back to being the "uncool" sport that everyone gave me crap for dropping football, baseball, and basketball for. I don't remember huge hold ups all over the course back then.

I usually play in 2 different foursomes. In one we play out own ball and take however long we need. The other we play 2v2 scramble to hurry the pace

Thanks for all the input. These are all valid points. The money issue definitely stuck out for me, along with the concern you're not getting your fill of shots for 18 holes. I think the money issue could be remedied some how while I'm not sure a bigger quantity of shots always equals a quality round.

The other issue with the course forcing you to play that format is also significant; I don't know how happy I'd be if I showed up and learned what I was in for just before the round.

It's certainly an idea with many problems and I don't have answers to all of them. I think it'd be interesting for a course some where to try it out though. I'd certainly play a round there.

One thing for sure, is that if a course were to implement this and make it mandatory, they would improve their slow play problem because their golfers would be going elsewhere.

It's an interesting idea you present, but I would not like it one bit! I can guarantee you that courses won't charge half the rate to play half the shots.
I don't think there is a solution to slow play, other than for slow players to speed up. One or two courses force everyone to take a cart on the weekends, but they don't include the cart in the pricing. Needless to say, I don't golf there anymore because I have seen no proof that riding in a cart actually improves pace of play to any meaningful degree.
Slow play can almost always be attributed to groups not playing ready golf, hackers refusing to admit a ball is lost, and ridiculous practices (some would say 'etiquette') on the green.

"Excuse me Sir, is it really necessary to line up your 2' tap in from every conceivable angle?"

One thing for sure, is that if a course were to implement this and make it mandatory, they would improve their slow play problem because their golfers would be going elsewhere.

Obviously not a popular idea for you. Fair enough.

There have to be better ways to speed up play, I for one play with some guys who would take more shots because you hit a decent shot for them instead of them just picking up when they are out of the hole.

I understand that money rules all but maybe tee times that aren't 8 minutes apart would be a good start, one course goes 8, 7, 8, 7, and is always slow.

And the foursome format wouldn't have to be implemented every day all the time. Let's take the weekends, for example. You and 3 buddies want to get in a round. If I had a choice between getting through a round of foursomes in a couple hours with them with what could be anything from a serious competitive round to sociable, or getting through a 5 hour round where I'm waiting to hit most of the time, I'd give the other course a hard look. Maybe I'm alone on that, but I digress.

There have to be better ways to speed up play, I for one play with some guys who would take more shots because you hit a decent shot for them instead of them just picking up when they are out of the hole.

I understand that money rules all but maybe tee times that aren't 8 minutes apart would be a good start, one course goes 8, 7, 8, 7, and is always slow.

That would help out immensely. Ten minutes would be perfect, and if starters would stop the practice of telling guys to tee off as soon as people drive away from their second shots, that would not only help, but be one of the most easy things to implement.

I would have to try to see how I like it and I would have to have foursome. I usually walk on.
I agree about $ issue and not really sold on the idea of alternating shots but I am in favor of faster round.
The best method that seems to work for a faster round is to be the first to tee off or close to first. The folks who tee off early seem to move quicker.
I also like the idea of 3some.
Thanks for the interesting concept.

More time between groups. More marshalls. Mandatory pick up after X shots rule. And although it will never happen, I do like the idea of courses implementing a minimum index requirement in order to get a tee time.

I would have to try to see how I like it and I would have to have foursome. I usually walk on.
I agree about $ issue and not really sold on the idea of alternating shots but I am in favor of faster round.
The best method that seems to work for a faster round is to be the first to tee off or close to first. The folks who tee off early seem to move quicker.
I also like the idea of 3some.
Thanks for the interesting concept.
Threesomes are worse than twosomes because they still require two carts. Get too many threesomes and you can run out of carts a lot faster.

Agree with all the suggestions thus far to improve slow play in general. Trying to find lost balls and time on the green seem to be the biggest delays in my experience. Be like Brandt and step up and putt!

Being a newbie and terrible I stress out about holding people up. I'd rather drop a ball, pick up, etc than to make others wait, especially if they are not in my party.

I pay to play my own round of golf, not split my shots with someone else.

Best idea I have heard is a post-round rebate/credit for finishing your round under a specific time limit. Only downfall is that then you are going to have people even more disgruntled when they run into a group on the course that is playing slow.

I wish golf would just go back to being the "uncool" sport that everyone gave me crap for dropping football, baseball, and basketball for. I don't remember huge hold ups all over the course back then.

This is the answer. But, I wouldn't phrase it as a credit, the cost of the round should be entirely based on the amount of time to play 18 and you pay after the round. The courses can spread apart tee times and, as such, lessen the impact slow groups for the fast groups. There will need to be provisions for super slow groups and delays at the turn but I think it is possible. Set the price, and base tee times, on a 4 hour average.

Extremely long initial post, but a great contribution. I for one will side with those who pay to play their own round, and want to see my own personal score. There are times that we team up, play different formats, etc. but given the varying skill-set this would not allow my game to be monitored.

I'm not sure about the credit either, brings more confusion to the courses than I believe necessary. I for one can vouch as a fast player that usually plays as a two-some in about 2.5-3 hours if possible (18 holes). But when the time comes to that dreaded 5 hour round, you have to suck it up. I'm a big fan of the game gaining popularity. As a player, you have to respect and appreciate that and enjoy your time out there as much as you can. Many that I know belong to CC's based on this fact however because they don't have to wait at all. When I hear them say that they will not play a public course based on the fact that there "could" be hold-ups, I laugh. After my laughter is over, I immediately think of how stuck up they are and ridiculous there lives may become over such a simple and enjoyable pleasure.

Worse comes to worst, the beer cart comes around a few more times and you have a few more sodas (and find a way to get home safely of course).

Not to bash, but this is a terrible idea. Where to start? Do I get a discount for this format? What if I'm a single, I don't mind playing with 3 others, but I'm not going to go alternate shot with someone I just met! Can't post a score. You get the idea.

Tap

It's an interesting idea you present, but I would not like it one bit! I can guarantee you that courses won't charge half the rate to play half the shots.
I don't think there is a solution to slow play, other than for slow players to speed up. One or two courses force everyone to take a cart on the weekends, but they don't include the cart in the pricing. Needless to say, I don't golf there anymore because I have seen no proof that riding in a cart actually improves pace of play to any meaningful degree.
Slow play can almost always be attributed to groups not playing ready golf, hackers refusing to admit a ball is lost, and ridiculous practices (some would say 'etiquette') on the green.

"Excuse me Sir, is it really necessary to line up your 2' tap in from every conceivable angle?"

I agree with alot said here. Especially a golfcart not speeding up play. I'll even go step further and say i believe it slows it down. There r just too many all over the place with shots. Much faster when all concerned walks directly to thier own balls. Dont have to split up and back track, no worry of cartpath-only holes, 90 degree only holes, no inconveniences when partners are on different sides the fairways and green and cant get the cart close enough, dropping off, forgetting clubs, neading a different club, rushing back n forth, etc, etc.... many different situations and simply put unless your playing great "cart golf" and are all real good consistant golfers it is faster to walk for most foursomes.

As far as forcing certain type of play, it would not work. Too many things can go wrong especially when singles are placed in. I' always a single and have lot of fun meeting n golfing with many different people most of the time. Notice I said most the time so if you change that to some sort of team thing then man that good fun can change very quickly. Too many personalities and ego's out there for that to work without it being voluntary. Oooohhh can it get ugly. Golfong with strangers as you would usually all play against the course and yourselves is one thing but may not be so fun anymore when being paired to play any other way.

7or 8 min tee times can be be cause of things, are rediculous and i have played where u wait from the first tee backed up 3 foursomes before even starting. Shouldnt be less than 10min at least IMO.

And i also want to play stroke for my own satisfaction. I can only golf on weekends and i cant golf a whole lot so I dont want nor would it be fair to force me to golf a certain way. I want nothing more than to try to beat my best stroke score and stay at that next level. Thats most important to me and forcing me to not have that chance would be cheating me and if that has to take 5 hours because of slow players than so be it. I wont like the time it took but i also on the other hand and on another note dont want to wish away my (not so often) golf enjoyment in just 3 hours.

And I just have to add one thing that I always must add when discussing slow play. People have to get rid of the idea that lesser ability golfers are the cause of slow play. It is not always how well one golfs but it has to do with how fast one can move along. I can shoot a 94 or 102 and still move faster and finish faster than golfers who are far better. Like Armygolf stated about overdoing the 2 foot putt. People just dont know or understand what moving along means or how to do it wether good or bad golfers. How to walk faster, how to change thier preshot routines, how to get the clubs in the bag and speed it up. It just dont sink in thier brain how to change things even if just to do it for a couple holes till ya catch up again. It aggravates me when i see it and aggravates me even more when one thinks because they may be a pretty good golfer that no way it can be them causing the slowdown. Just had to get that out again lol I feel better now and on with the post.

Back