Quit regular daytime job for easier life??

I've always wanted to sell (most) everything, buy a sailboat, and spend my life sailing the world. However, my wife has seen "White Squall" and that terrified her so much she decided, "no way!"

So I'll keep working until I come up with a different dream involving less water.

I think we all feel that way sometimes but then we remember that we live in the real world where you need to make money in order to live. Spending your time living off the fat of the land and playing golf simply isnt realistic. Sorry.
IMO, the key is to figure out how to making a living doing what you love. That way, work will never feel like work.

I feel burned out and I'm freaking 23 years old haha

I was fortunate enough to sell my business back in 2003, and have not really worked since then. I did just have an interview at a local golf course, and may be heading back into some form of employment net week. It's great to not have to work, but not a lot of fun living on the cheap. Golf is an expensive habit. :D

I would love to become a cartoonist. Maybe not for a job, but for hobby. Good luck with your decisions!

I used to think I hated my job. Now I realize I just hate the necessity of having one.

I don't hate my job or hate having a job, I just hate the realization that my current job and training isn't going to give my wife and I the life that we want. Just have to keep plugging away until an opportunity arises or I get sick of waiting.

traveling South next month for awhile to test it out. We will see if I can find a caddy job or something. Lifeguard for summer could work too.

Anybody ever tired/burned out from regular daytime job and feel like chucking it all away to do something else? I've been in school or working my entire life (like lots of people) and work 7 days a week most months sometimes 60-80 hours a week (like many people) and have done it this way for almost 15 years. I would love to SELL everything I own and move to a coastal town, get a simple job and live off the fat of the land and eat and sleep (and golf).
Am I the only one who feels burned out with the rat race of work, sleep, pay, work sleep pay?

I meant to reply to this post when it first went up but my tablet was acting up.

I felt like this a lot over the last several years. Then I realized last summer that it was really about how miserable I was at my job so I changed jobs -- after 15 years with the same employer. I had a secure job with very good benefits but it was killing me with stress and no fun at all. In fact, my last action on my way out the door to head down to the AC THP outing last September was to give the news to my boss that I was leaving at the end of the month. They had no idea it was coming. I haven't regretted it for an instant.

Now, I work with a bunch of smart people in a small, supportive and growing company. I do some traveling (which I enjoy a lot) and help people sort out tricky problems (which is fun). I also get to see a lot more of my family and I'm not on call 24x7 anymore!

My two cents for you is to start looking for a new job ASAP.

Would I love to retire and go play golf a lot more? Sure! Is it feasible? Definitely not, especially with three kids that will eventually need to go to college unless I hit the lottery or something. However, my life is better than it has been in years and I'm darn glad for the change. I'll look for the opportunity to retire somewhere that's less expensive to live so I can relax a bit more and play more golf but that's probably still at least a decade away for me.

Best wishes.

Ken

This is why I hope I can get the job I want (R&D, golf industry). I think that job would make me happy.

Find something you love to do, or find something you can work reasonable hours and leave work in the office. I took a year off (I was so blessed) to try to start my own company and regain my mental health after hitting some serious burn out. Best thing for me was realizing I was doing exactly what I should be doing. Now as I solidify my c.v., my only questions are finding the girl and living somewhere that a good retirement is possible.

I love love love California, but it sure is expensive!

this is a tuff thread subject to answer/comment on. Life is not easy and i no matter where one is, you still nead to do whatever it takes to earn a living. Everytime I use to go on vacation i wanted to move there lol. But ya gotta realize once settled in, the responsibilities and obligations do not go away and then it becomes the same no matter where one is. Sure there are positives to living in certain places but for every posistive ther are negatives. Thats just true with anything.

I know alot of people who moved to duifferent places and wierd as it is most of them eventually came back to where they started. My wife and i have families that are large and we've considered or at least talked of moving but family just something (although sometimes can be a pain) we just dont want to leave.

If one is fortunate enough to pick and leave without financial burdens then by all means knock yourself out. But if not that fortunate, as said earlier life is the same. Maybe little different ways and views of doing things and different feelings about things but in a nut shell once the infatuation of change disappears it becomes for the most part all the same. IMO

I think your location may be the issue. For most of my adult life I lived in the Northeast and hated every waking minute of it. The congestion, the weather, the people (or surliness of the people) was just a constant beat down. Got so sick of it I moved south (and have since moved further south/west) and haven't looked back. For the past decade I generally can enjoy the outdoors anytime of the year and knowing that you don't have 5 months of grey skies, bare tree's, and cold winds does alot for your mental well-being.

Well after being laid off for 8 weeks now gives one time to ponder.I did talk to my sup. just now and the work is coming not to worry. But being off for so long you get lasy so going from working 48+ is a big change.I to would love a life change after being in the same line of work for 30 yrs. now but I don't see it happening as i have no idea what it would be???

I love golf too much to stop working. Gonna need millions in the bank before I stop working!

I think your location may be the issue. For most of my adult life I lived in the Northeast and hated every waking minute of it. The congestion, the weather, the people (or surliness of the people) was just a constant beat down. Got so sick of it I moved south (and have since moved further south/west) and haven't looked back. For the past decade I generally can enjoy the outdoors anytime of the year and knowing that you don't have 5 months of grey skies, bare tree's, and cold winds does alot for your mental well-being.
Yes
I think location is a big part. I tried to move Southeast a few times but it didn't work out. And Yes, money is an issue or lack of it with two kids nearing college.
My wife hates the weather here. Makes her bones hurt. My kids are not happy unless it is 90 outside. It's NEVER 90 outside here. At least not often.
I am so much a "do-er" and "provider" for my family, not sure I could mentally handle not being able to do that.

I got burned out myself. I chose to take a job on a drilling rig that allows me to work 6 months of the year with a healthy income. Granted the work is rough but 6 months of the year completely belong to me.

Taptaptaparoo

I looked at the Wynn's thread. very interesting.
Every winter I go through this. I wonder if this is Seasonal Affective Disorder.

I suffer seasonal depression. Had my blood checked & Vitamin D3 was way low (50-80 is "normal", mine was 27) 10k units a day(one pill) & I am handling it much better this year than ever before.

As for the work thing: I have worked for the same Company for 23 years. The last 12 my wife & I have owned our own franchise. I love that I have so many things to do as the owner, because i am rarely bored. Another key is that I have spent time & money to learn to Choose happiness, peace, & serenity on a daily basis.

Good luck in your search.

Anybody ever tired/burned out from regular daytime job and feel like chucking it all away to do something else? I've been in school or working
my entire life (like lots of people) and work 7 days a week most months sometimes 60-80 hours a week (like many people) and have done it this way
for almost 15 years. I would love to SELL everything I own and move to a coastal town, get a simple job and live off the fat of the land and eat and sleep (and golf).
Am I the only one who feels burned out with the rat race of work, sleep, pay, work sleep pay?

I guess that everybody feels like this a sometime or other - and I would guess winter more than summer! I have been very lucky to date and worked in several countries (and climates) and 5 years ago I started a business with some guys which (touch wood) is going ok. The work is hard - and often longer than when i was an employee - and the responsibility can really wear me down (apparently I groan in my sleep!) but reflecting on your post, I thought back. The things that I remember the most fondly, had little to do with work, little to do with climate or location. I remember days / nights with friends, with family - days when I did something new. I believe that I am a lucky person to have and have had great friends, family and experiences. When I'm feeling burnt out - which sometimes happens; I try to focus on these things.
In terms of moving and following your dream? Why not explore it with all the family? Work out if you really could make it happen. Work it out if it really would satisfy you as a family. Maybe, you actually have everything you need right there in your house already.
No expert - just my thoughts. I wish you the best of luck with the 'exploration'.:act-up:

I got burned out myself. I chose to take a job on a drilling rig that allows me to work 6 months of the year with a healthy income. Granted the work is rough but 6 months of the year completely belong to me.

Taptaptaparoo
My wife suggested this to me today. Not the rig job, but a job opportunity that I could work 5-6 months at a time making close to what I make for 12 months. Everybody's responses have been uplifting. A great group we have here. It's nice to know I am not the only one who feels this way. Thanks to everyone.

I was lucky enough to retire 5 years ago at the age of 60, and wish I could have done it sooner. I'd worked from the time I got "working papers" at the age of 14. When I did retire, I left a job that I absolutely did not like (hate is a strong word).

However, my dad, who worked until the age of 83 (lived till 92) had "old school" advice he'd give me whenever I'd complain to him about a job or assignment. He had a 5th grade education, came over from Italy as a youngster, and always had tough jobs. He'd tell me, "if the job was fun, someone would be doing it for free. So quit your complaining." I felt sorry for him that he never had a job he liked, but like a lot of his generation, he went to work, gave 100%, provided for his family and never complained. That was what gave him satisfaction.

Me? I hope everyone gets the chance to work at a job they like, and enjoy many years of retirement.

Back