How much do you sacrifice for your golfing pleasure?

Basically, I'm the typical weekend warrior. Play a round or two every weekend as long as the weather allows. Youth baseball takes up some time just as the golf season starts up or I'd play a little more. The biggest sacrifice I'm not willing to make is the commitment to practice. The local ranges are awful, the closest practice facility +30 away. I would like to commit an hour or so a couple nights a week, but factor in the drive and its 2 hours minimum. So I chip around the back yard, hit some wiffle balls with the woods, or putt in the living room.

Did I mention my wife talked Santa into bringing us a puppy for Christmas? So there's another hour a day gone...

.......everything.

I gave up skiing from 20 plus days, to maybe one weekend per season. I can play 3-4 rounds of golf at local public courses versus the price of one day of skiing. I use to ski in the morning here in Colorado and play 9 holes in the late afternoon. Now, I would rather just play golf all the time. I find it a lot less expensive than skiing.

I sacrificed golf for a job last season. I took early retirement from my civil engineering career in June. This job even though I worked some long days, allowed me to play at least five days a week.

I took a new job with a large company and I've been putting in between 60 and 75 hours a week since July. I played 70 rounds between March 2012 and June 2012, and I played maybe ten rounds from July until the end of the season. Great for the wallet, not great if you love golf, but I'd rather be busy and making money.

This is a hard one for me. If it was just me I'm sure I would be wasting a lot more money on this silly game than I already do. Right now my number one concern is my two young boys! I know they are still under 5 but I have to think about my family, the future of this family and my boys future. I love the game but there is a life time to play it so once my boys are gone and I'm retired there will be some serious things to think about.

This is the same boat that I am in, my boy is 4 and daughter is 2, and they are very active so I don't get to go as much as I would like. I also haven't joined the course for the same reason others have mentioned in that I don't play enough to make it worth it.

Since I got active on here, Twitter & Facebook, I actually sacrifice less! I find the Deal of the Day, Contest thread, & THP contests & Giveaways have put me into a great deal of equipment & clothing.
I have won: Adipure shoes, 5 SCOR wedges, & more shafts than I could ever use. Traded/sold the shafts for balls & clubs. I have 12 dozen new balls sitting a few feet away. Purchased on sale for cost or just above with coupons & sales. Shopped for my irons & got them(brand new) for less than cost. Blah blah blah.
What I am saying is that I have been able to play more on the same or less courtesy of all the contests & giveaways. Thank you all!

I gave up skiing from 20 plus days, to maybe one weekend per season. I can play 3-4 rounds of golf at local public courses versus the price of one day of skiing. I use to ski in the morning here in Colorado and play 9 holes in the late afternoon. Now, I would rather just play golf all the time. I find it a lot less expensive than skiing.

Dang! How much does a round of skiing run ya? I know fishing is an expensive hobby too. Some of my friends who bass fish have spent a fortune on that type of stuff.

Since I got active on here, Twitter & Facebook, I actually sacrifice less! I find the Deal of the Day, Contest thread, & THP contests & Giveaways have put me into a great deal of equipment & clothing.
I have won: Adipure shoes, 5 SCOR wedges, & more shafts than I could ever use. Traded/sold the shafts for balls & clubs. I have 12 dozen new balls sitting a few feet away. Purchased on sale for cost or just above with coupons & sales. Shopped for my irons & got them(brand new) for less than cost. Blah blah blah.
What I am saying is that I have been able to play more on the same or less courtesy of all the contests & giveaways. Thank you all!

THP is really an invaluable source of golf goodness :blob::clapp::golf2::friends::thumb:

I just retired last December with my dream to play golf as much as possible. Some great courses here in Tucson area but the memberships are about $15K-$30K for one person and about $200-$300 add-ons monthly. My wife does not play but supports my habit. I bought an annual pass for the city courses (five here, pretty decent mostly) that allows me to play any day I want. That was $2800. I augment that with some rounds at the nicer courses taking advantage of GolfNow deals. Golf is a key part of our retirement budget. Hope to take some trips to other parts of the country (maybe THP events!).

I just retired last December with my dream to play golf as much as possible. Some great courses here in Tucson area but the memberships are about $15K-$30K for one person and about $200-$300 add-ons monthly. My wife does not play but supports my habit. I bought an annual pass for the city courses (five here, pretty decent mostly) that allows me to play any day I want. That was $2800. I augment that with some rounds at the nicer courses taking advantage of GolfNow deals. Golf is a key part of our retirement budget. Hope to take some trips to other parts of the country (maybe THP events!).

Don't ya love being retired dude! :D Sounds like you have found the perfect solution to your golfing needs. You really NEED to make a THP event and meet some awesome folks :thumb:

I am lucky in that I can play with customers during the week, so I don't have to sacrifice much as far as personal time and budget for rounds of golf. But, I realized that to get the golf gear I have, my music hobby has been sacrificed. I think part of the reason I have not gotten another band together is the time I spent practicing golf last fall. And, since I'm not in a band now, I sold my "holy grail" amp, which funded more golf stuff.

As far as yard work.......I have teenage sons, I don't do much yard work anymore.:D

My baby / "race car" ..haven't purchased a single performance item for it since picking up golf last year, only $100 or less in maintenance items. I'm pretty obsessed with golf now and am actually considering selling it when I return to the U.S. I read about how expensive golf is, but my car hobby makes golf look crazy cheap!

2eofqdx.jpg

I have a 5 year old son, who I often feel guilty about leaving behind on a Saturday morning which is golf time for me. Having said that the wife and I invest alot of time with him during the rest of the weekend which is something we both look forward to so it balances out nicely.

With the exception of the above it's just yearly membership fees which at £900 a year is reasonable for the facilities our club offers us, so not much to complain about here.

Back