The Official Banter Away Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
See, useful info. Thanks Jeff. Yeah, def not getting anything with an annual fee. Just wanted to get some input.

Personally, if I were wanting to do that, I would opt for a cash back card, with an option to use that towards travel if you wish. Like I said, unless you are flying non-stop for business or something, I just don't see where the airline specific cards are worth it and most do usually carry some type of annual fee, ranging typically from $35 to $100 or so.

well, I disagree with this completely.

If he used it for gas and paid that off at the end of each month. For his car and his wifes, if he got 1 mile per dollar spent, then he is getting rewarded for buying something he buys anyway. 600 miles a month would be worth it. in the long run. I think its like $80 a year to get the card. Plus they give you some stuff in advance each year.

Marriott has a great card as well. Its $90 a year but you get a free room every year. Which you would have spent more than $90 on.

I had 2 that I used whenever I would travel and my company would reimburse me. It was great. One was hotel points which I dumped over to my US Airways miles and used for some free rooms and the other a Cap One travel card that I used for 3 round trip flights. Obviously it's different because my company at the time payed the balances. However now whenever I make big purchases I use the card for things like my golf membership and stuff like that. I've done the gas part but then I get sick at the end of each month to see how much I spending on gas.

If he used it for gas and paid that off at the end of each month. For his car and his wifes, if he got 1 mile per dollar spent, then he is getting rewarded for buying something he buys anyway. 600 miles a month would be worth it. in the long run. I think its like $80 a year to get the card. Plus they give you some stuff in advance each year.

Marriott has a great card as well. Its $90 a year but you get a free room every year. Which you would have spent more than $90 on.
You're smart One-T.

While not for airline credit my wife and I use our CC for our everyday purchases and pay it off each month as well. We save up the points and use them for random things we don't want to spend a lot of $ on. So exactly like One-T says, for $ we would have been spending anyway it's a nice little perk.

Personally, if I were wanting to do that, I would opt for a cash back card, with an option to use that towards travel if you wish. Like I said, unless you are flying non-stop for business or something, I just don't see where the airline specific cards are worth it and most do usually carry some type of annual fee, ranging typically from $35 to $100 or so.
for example....you get your first bag free with delta. That adds up! 4 legs(2 round trips) and you have paid for your card membership. Cards like that are not for someone who flies twice a year.

You're smart One-T.

While not for airline credit my wife and I use our CC for our everyday purchases and pay it off each month as well. We save up the points and use them for random things we don't want to spend a lot of $ on. So exactly like One-T says, for $ we would have been spending anyway it's a nice little perk.
I know!

haha

I have a friend who puts EVERYTHING (even bills) on his CC and pays it off every month.

Now THIS is good discussion. Thank you all.

I do thing if we put gas and groceries on it monthly and pay it off it could be worth it for sure. I just don't know if its better to just get a general rewards card or an airline oriented one.

We put everything on our Amazon card, including our rent, just let the points build up. Works awesome for us.

^Siri probably sucks.

I know!

haha

I have a friend who puts EVERYTHING (even bills) on his CC and pays it off every month.

I do the same, EVERYTHING goes on the card. Only thing I remember paying cash for in the last few months is parking, tolls, laundry, and bar covers. Drinks at the course, drinks on the plane, coffee, etc even goes on the card.

I dont even wait until the end of the month to pay it off either, just pay it as you go. The amount of cash back or points one can receive is stunning. Chase Sapphire Preferred or American Express Blue Cash are my 2 cards of choice. Single brand Hotel/Airline cards are a ripoff IMO, unless u travel/stay with them exclusively and often.

Now THIS is good discussion. Thank you all.

I do thing if we put gas and groceries on it monthly and pay it off it could be worth it for sure. I just don't know if its better to just get a general rewards card or an airline oriented one.
you just have some research to do, and dont knock out the cards with annual fees. sometimes the rewards are more rewarding.

I do the same, EVERYTHING goes on the card. Only thing I remember paying cash for in the last few months is parking, tolls, laundry, and bar covers. Drinks at the course, drinks on the plane, coffee, etc even goes on the card.

I dont even wait until the end of the month to pay it off either, just pay it as you go. The amount of cash back or points one can receive is stunning. Chase Sapphire Preferred or American Express Blue Cash are my 2 cards of choice. Single brand Hotel/Airline cards are a ripoff IMO, unless u travel/stay with them exclusively and often.

I can agree with this.

we only fly delta and only stay in Marriott.

for example....you get your first bag free with delta. That adds up! 4 legs(2 round trips) and you have paid for your card membership. Cards like that are not for someone who flies twice a year.

I don't know exactly what we are disagreeing on, but ok. LOL.

Anyways.

Each card is different and offers different perks. And getting 600 in points or miles a month from gas fill ups, grocery's, bills, whatever, isn't going to make much of a dent in securing a "free" flight or trip year after year.

Yeah, sure, you can rack up the miles for use down the road and save a few bucks on a flight (probably enough for yourself, and not a passenger). But unless you are traveling non-stop for business (which from what I know, James is not) or taking multiple vacations a year (which James may be or have the inclination to do so), the airline specific cards just aren't worth it for the average traveler. As I said, I would opt for something that offers a cash back option on the day to day purchases, with the flexibility to use that towards travel or whatever. With airlines cards, you are getting just the miles for travel you may or may not take. With a cash back/rewards card through say Chase or Capitol One, you can use that towards whatever you wish, including travel you may or may not take.

My mom's gonna kill me I keep bugging her to see if the mails arrived yet.

(I send my mail to her house since it's in town and less likely to get stolen then my house where the nearest neighbor is 2 miles away)

~Joseph~
via Tapatalk

I know!

haha

We don't for most bills, but some like phone and cable bills we do. $ you'd spend already anyway and we get free stuff for it. I'm a fan.

I don't know exactly what we are disagreeing on, but ok. LOL.

Anyways.

Each card is different and offers different perks. And getting 600 in points or miles a month from gas fill ups, grocery's, bills, whatever, isn't going to make much of a dent in securing a "free" flight or trip year after year.

Yeah, sure, you can rack up the miles for use down the road and save a few bucks on a flight (probably enough for yourself, and not a passenger). But unless you are traveling non-stop for business (which from what I know, James is not) or taking multiple vacations a year (which James may be or have the inclination to do so), the airline specific cards just aren't worth it for the average traveler. As I said, I would opt for something that offers a cash back option on the day to day purchases, with the flexibility to use that towards travel or whatever. With airlines cards, you are getting just the miles for travel you may or may not take. With a cash back/rewards card through say Chase or Capitol One, you can use that towards whatever you wish, including travel you may or may not take.
I have no idea how what I put gave you the inclination that you needed to speak to me like I d.o.n.t. u.n.d.e.r.s.t.a.n.d h.o.w. t.o. r.e.a.d.

b.u.t

I. r.e.a.l.l.y a.p.p.r.e.c.i.a.t.e y.o.u p.u.t.t.i.n.g i.t. i.n. t.e.r.m.s. t.h.a.t. m.y. c.h.i.l.d. l.i.k.e. m.i.n.d. c.o.u.l.d. u.n.d.e.r.s.t.a.n.d

edit: I forgot......LOL

I have no idea how what I put gave you the inclination that you needed to speak to me like I d.o.n.t. u.n.d.e.r.s.t.a.n.d h.o.w. t.o. r.e.a.d.

b.u.t

I. r.e.a.l.l.y a.p.p.r.e.c.i.a.t.e y.o.u p.u.t.t.i.n.g i.t. i.n. t.e.r.m.s. t.h.a.t. m.y. c.h.i.l.d. l.i.k.e. m.i.n.d. c.o.u.l.d. u.n.d.e.r.s.t.a.n.d

Dude, what the eff is your problem?

Good stuff in here.

I know some people who do this and I think its a great idea. I personally just dont like to use credit cards. So any rewards are kind of blah to me. 3% of $50 isnt worth my time

I basically use mine as a debit card, so that 3% on $50 here and there adds up pretty fast.

I know!

haha

Same.

Thanks for the advise on the two types of cards. I need to do more research for my next card!

Just hit a punch shot with the covert...Don't think I am going to be able to wait for the RBZ to come to hit it on a launch monitor...wow

I don't use cash for anything, and previously used my debit cards for all purchases. I recently switched to a Chase Freedom card, and pay it off every month. My reward savings have already been substantial. I also have 0% APR so if I did run into financial troubles and had to carry over the debt for a month or two it would not harm me.

Just hit a punch shot with the covert...Don't think I am going to be able to wait for the RBZ to come to hit it on a launch monitor...wow
Thats awesome!

Well I'm glad we got that cleared up.
yeah..

and Jman is so much smarter now. I should hit the "thanks" button

Colin Cowherd was talking on his radio show one day about how all the younger generation of dudes never carry cash but the old guys ALWAYS have a load of cash on them. He took some calls and these old timers would have like 2, 3 even 4 hundred bucks on them at all times. Funny how times have changed.

Thats awesome!

yeah..

and Jman is so much smarter now. I should hit the "thanks" button

What did Jman do?

Hehe

Colin Cowherd was talking on his radio show one day about how all the younger generation of dudes never carry cash but the old guys ALWAYS have a load of cash on them. He took some calls and these old timers would have like 2, 3 even 4 hundred bucks on them at all times. Funny how times have changed.
I agree. I never have cash. no need. strippers still prefer it though.

What did Jman do?

Hehe
dude, you havent seen any of my velcro comments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back