The Right Clubs for a Beginner? (I've only played about 15 rounds in my life)

Perfect advice from jf actually...

So basically ima take the 7W back cuz its an unnecessary club w/ what I already own? Take the 3H-18° back cuz its unnecessary & to hard to hit for a beginner? & replace them both w/ a 4H-21° to go along w/ my 5H-23.5° that will space the gap between my 4W & 5 iron eliminating (rotating) my 4 iron n the process? Also get rid of the 52°9 Wedge cuz its not enuf difference n loft competing w/ my R11 PW & AW? This would make my bag look like so.... Driver-10.5°, 3W-17°, 4H-21°, 5H-23.5°, Irons-4-PW & AW, Wedges-56°12, 60°6, Putter 35“ Ghost Spider S. Total of 15 clubs w/ a rotating 4 iron & 5H-23.5°??? Editing this post cuz looking back on u guys comments I see they are conflicting. Looks like I need to be rid of the 5H n one post & keep it in the other. Hummmm, so maybe I just need to do away w/ the 7W & 5H-23.5° & maybe add a 4H-21° to complete the setup?

Lol. That's what I love about building a bag--there are so many choices and many substitutes.

The concept of rotating the 24* hybrid in and out of your bag is a little confusing at first, but when you start encountering courses where you need a club that consitently carries (in the air) as far as your 4 iron but comes in soft with little rollout you will love having that hybrid. Or, on the long par 4's when your drive doesn't go exactly as planned you will have a club you can go to out of the rough and still take a shot at the green.

I just don't see the point of carrying around a 4 iron while you're first learning since it will be a little while before you can hit that club with confidence and consistency from the fairway and the rough (if you can already then by all means ditch the 24* hybrid). But, that's just me and everybody's different.

You are correct about the 21* being a constant in your bag. That will be a great "do it all" club from off the tee and off the deck. I have a 19* hybrid that will be coming out of my bag soon and replaced with a 20* or 21* hybrid. I'm still hitting a few models, but I hope to finish testing soon.

All of this is theoretical, of course, because I'm basing all of these assumptions on "averages". I've never seen you swing so I can only assume that you are playing at a level consistent with where "most people" are after only 15 rounds of golf. If you are better, or worse, than the average bear then logic would dictate making some additional changes.

The most important thing is to keep practicing and keep playing! You will soon learn where your gaps are and what you need to change, whether that be your swing or your bag.

Again I hope this is helpful. Treat it like a salad bar -- take what you want and leave the rest. :)

I'm going to recommend something a little different here, and I don't think you'll like it lol. You mentioned not being able to afford lessons, honestly if that's the case.. I'd return every club that is still in wrapping or that can be returned, then pick up a cheap box set(or used name brand complete set) and spend the rest on lessons. I guarantee you you'll shoot a lower score with cheaper clubs and a ton of lessons, rather than no lessons and an expensive set. This is what I wish I would have done, then had a proper fitting for quality clubs once my swing was in tact. My 2 cents.

Nothing like watching a guy with $1000+ in clubs not able to hit a ball somewhat straight or get it in the air, not saying this is you at all, but don't be that guy lol.

I'm going to recommend something a little different here, and I don't think you'll like it lol. You mentioned not being able to afford lessons, honestly if that's the case.. I'd return every club that is still in wrapping or that can be returned, then pick up a cheap box set(or used name brand complete set) and spend the rest on lessons. I guarantee you you'll shoot a lower score with cheaper clubs and a ton of lessons, rather than no lessons and an expensive set. This is what I wish I would have done, then had a proper fitting for quality clubs once my swing was in tact. My 2 cents.

Nothing like watching a guy with $1000+ in clubs not able to hit a ball somewhat straight or get it in the air, not saying this is you at all, but don't be that guy lol.

Ah, the voice of reason telling us to take the road less traveled. I can't say one bad thing about your post. Even if I could I don't think I would because it will be so much more exciting to see if he chooses what's behind door #1 or what's in the box (or bag).

I cant let that bag of beauties go! Lol But what I can do is take back the following, 3H-18°, 7W & 52°9 Wedge & replace the 3H w/ the 4H-21° (dont have to replace the 7W & 52°wedge cuz I have existing clubs that do the same job they do) then I will have complete gap spacing from what I've been told. I suppose ima have to rework my budget & work a few extra hours a week to afford lessons cuz that bag of TMaG aint goin no where! lol ;)

Goin to take those clubs back & get the 4H as we speak, from all I've heard this is what i need to do so here goes...

Goin to take those clubs back & get the 4H as we speak, from all I've heard this is what i need to do so here goes...

Good luck! Looks like a decent setup. Practice away!

As a beginner you will teach yourself how to hit the ball. At some point you'll need some guidance from an instructor and its important to do so before any bad habits are ingrained.

As a beginner you will teach yourself how to hit the ball. At some point you'll need some guidance from an instructor and its important to do so before any bad habits are ingrained.

By "bad habits" do you mean things like throwing clubs, using a foot wedge, driving a cart on the green, swearing around children, not counting strokes, or leaving the flag in when putting? ;)

Back