AHacker'sHacker

Who is John Galt?
Reaction score
Handicap
WIP
Diane I am not saying this is your mindset but it is similar to the thought process that if you have a Southern accent you must be stupid. I always chuckle when I am involved in a business deal that involves a person from the South and a person from the Northeast. Often you see the Northeasterner have the attitude that the Southerner must not be up to par regarding business acumen. Time after time I have seen the Southerner use this assumption to their advantage as they carve up the Northeasterner. Always good for a laugh. :banana:

Time after time I have seen the Southerner use this assumption to their advantage as they carve up the Northeasterner. Always good for a laugh. :banana:

It happens out here as well. We do get a kick out of it when they try and pronounce some of the street names or cities. The southern accent and the spanish street names make for a good time.

Diane I am not saying this is your mindset but it is similar to the thought process that if you have a Southern accent you must be stupid. I always chuckle when I am involved in a business deal that involves a person from the South and a person from the Northeast. Often you see the Northeasterner have the attitude that the Southerner must not be up to par regarding business acumen. Time after time I have seen the Southerner use this assumption to their advantage as they carve up the Northeasterner. Always good for a laugh. :banana:

I don't always understand everyone, but I don't underestimate anyone. On the other hand - not everyone understands me either.

I always found it funny when I lived in MA, CT, etc... that they would make fun of southern accents. Have they ever heard their "wicked speak" and NY accents are even worse. hehe

It’s different JB, theirs is a sophisticated accent. :D

I don't always understand everyone, but I don't underestimate anyone.

Diane, I think that is a good motto to live by.

I think the Cheesehead accent is my favorite.

It’s different JB, theirs is a sophisticated accent. :D

Living in Philly, I've got a mish mash of Philly 'how youse doin?" and NY "oh my gawd" according to everyone else I meet around the country. Not nearly as distinctive as accents from Tenn, Georgia, Alabama, etc. though

Moved to its own thread. How about Canadian? I tease my friends at Sligo all the time with the "Did you clothes on your hoose yet eh?"

I always get the Philly and New York ones confused until they say " Yous". Pittsburgh has a great accent too.

Moved to its own thread. How about Canadian? I tease my friends at Sligo all the time with the "Did you clothes on your hoose yet eh?"

Canadians are great! Irish is pretty good also. Whenever I travel to China I always laugh when the street vendors ask if I want to buy a Rorex (Rolex).

I definitely have a CT accent - you can hear it in my "A's" - even the way I say my name.

When I first moved to Texas (1980) I couldn't understand a word half the people said to me, it was like learning a new language. The folks out in West Texas are especially tough to figure. South Carolina has a fairly unique accent too.

I've been told that I occassionally have that "pidgin" accent from Hawaii. I know it comes out when I'm with family from Hawaii or am talking to them. "Da Kine" and "li' dat" start to come out of my mouth as if I've never left (and it's been 27 years!)

I have a Califonian accent, I say dude and gnarly and mumble a lot.

At least most of the accents you get in the US are intelligible. Take this clip here for example. These two are from parts of the country roughly 250 miles apart:

[YOUTUBE]oSHHbfY6MVc[/YOUTUBE]

Translation below, but watch it without that first:

Spoiler
The geordie guy says:

Morning Mr Partridge

Vandals eh Mr Partridge? It makes me wonder what it's all about

yes, you know vandals, you know, what was it all about?

you know, what I reckon is that if they had themselves proper jobs, they wouldn't be up with all this larking (mucking about) every night.

what I'm saying is that if they had themselves proper jobs that they were going to, then they wouldn't do it, but you know a lot of them are from broken homes.

(Language Warning)
[YOUTUBE]8qPrR49qsDc[/YOUTUBE]

Robin Williams' bit on the origin of golf has to be one of the best comedy bits ever created.

-JP

Being Southern, with a truly deep south accent, I am sure people thought of me as unsophisticated and perhaps even ignorant. It usually doesn't take long before they realize that an accent doesn't determine intelligence. Sort of the same thing I learned the first time I heard someone from the Bronx or from Jersey, or for that matter, Boston speak. Just because their voice doesn't sound intelligent to your ear doesn't mean they aren't smart.

There is something about a woman with a southern accent that gets me. I could listen to a lady from Tennessee all day long. :in-love:

That Robin Williams skit is hillarious! I have seen it before but I just watched it again and still laughed out loud.

One of my favorites. One of my twisted friends who know I am a golfer will send it to me once in a while. I need to save it to my hard drive next time so I can just pop it up when I need a laugh.

There is something about a woman with a southern accent that gets me. I could listen to a lady from Tennessee all day long. :in-love:

Ah, yes... Southern women, like the ones I grew up with, could cut you to ribbons with that sweet southern drawl....and never lose the smile off their faces. God, I love em.

Where i live a lot of people still use gaelic as there first language,i could listen to that all day. East coast scotland has a nice soft lilt to it as does the borders. West coast (Glasgow) is very harsh and spoken at 100mph. Aberdeenshire have there own language,its called doric,sad to say that its dying out now. the rest of us technically use English (scots) although you wouldnt be able to follow a conversation if you listrened in.

Where i live a lot of people still use gaelic as there first language,i could listen to that all day. East coast scotland has a nice soft lilt to it as does the borders. West coast (Glasgow) is very harsh and spoken at 100mph. Aberdeenshire have there own language,its called doric,sad to say that its dying out now. the rest of us technically use English (scots) although you wouldnt be able to follow a conversation if you listrened in.
My grandmother was born in England and I grew up in the house next door to her, listening to her using different labels for common things. The car had a bonnet not a hood, a truck was a lorry and she didn't go to the drugstore she went to the apothecary. Brings back great memories of her to think about it. She never used the word loo for the bathroom though not sure if that is slang or not she was very proper (born in 1879).

Back