Taylormade Penta Golf Ball Review

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
This was probably one of the best reviews I've read on here since joing THP! I can't wait to see what the other reviewers have to say.I haven't really thought about playing or even testing a TM ball but this may be something I need to compare against my current ball.

• Admin
Thank you. We wanted to make sure to get this up quickly for everybody to read and our forum testers that received the first batch should be getting those today. We will have tons of unbiased feedback on this one.

Awesome review JB! I've been very happy playing the LDP Black for normal days and the Red for windy days. I'm sure I'll give these a try.

Great review, JB. Can't wait to see what the first 3 testers say after theirs arrive.

• Admin
GB got his already and started his thread. Big Lefty got his today according to UPS and Four Putt has his coming tomorrow.

Should be very interesting reviews coming soon. I was excited to here your first review with no side spin issues from the tee, yet good distance. It sounded as if this ball still had some lift from the longer iorns, with less lift needed on chips due to the spin? Too good to be true!

Tracking number says it's at home,but I'm sitting here at work wondering how these will perform

Outstanding review JB! I've only played TM balls that I've found before, no purchases. I'm going to give these a shot.

Played in a 3some with these again today and all 3 of us used them. The spin I am getting from the wedges makes attacking the pins great. My course has EXTREMELY hard greens and everything was stopping on a dime. Great stuff.

I just read the review. It was thorough and well-written, with some great information and insights from the testers. Thanks JB.

Bonk,
The more we try them, the more we really like them. Two local teaching professionals took them out yesterday and both are staffers with different companies. Both came away extremely impressed especially around the greens.

well today after Sergio's round I was talking to Sergio's Caddie on the Penta Ball and says he loves it and is very soft for him so there is some Tour Inside from the Barclays.

Our local testers have continued to rave about the Penta and the performance. A local teaching professional here that was involved with our testing yesterday gave us this quote.

"I play the Prov1x because I love the distance and feel that I do not sacrifice too much around the greens. The problem is, that the new version of the ball just does not work as well as the older version. I switched to the Bridgestone B330 line and felt like I got solid distance but the ball just does not spin like I am used to. This new ball seems to combine the distance off the tee that I like in the B330 line with the spin I miss from the old Titleist balls. I have played 7 rounds now with them and they will be my ball of choice when available."

I can't wait to get my hands on one of these. As you can probably tell I'm a TM fanatic these days! But I don't particularly care for the TP Black and Reds because of the ballooning I get with them.

Played 18 with these this morning and came away as impressed as I have been the entire time. The short game with this ball is truly great and continues to give me exactly what I look for out of spin, performance, and feel.

Penta...does what TaylorMade claim then ?

Penta...does what TaylorMade claim then ?

I really hope to get the benefits from this ball when I can get hold of some. Hopefully they will be available online come December as to obtain them here in the UK we have to wait until next year. Would you say that TaylorMade's claims regarding the ball are correct then? Is it the best all round ball you have ever played? Is the spin superior to all other "current" tour balls?

Thanks!

They will be available for online purchase come 12/1 it looks like. Are Taylormades claims regarding the ball correct? I dont know. marketing is marketing as far as I am concerned. For me I got a better feel and more spin around the greens. For the two teaching pros that played it they got more distance as well as better spin.

We also asked some people on the forum to test them out. All but one of them fell in love with the ball as well. So it seems the majority of people that have tried the Penta out on this forum really enjoy it.

Penta TP

Penta TP

Thank you.
The ball truly does appear to be somthing special by all accounts. I have recently started to play the TP Red and I find it to be a superb ball,however, it seems as though the Penta has much more going for it in all departments. Can't wait to try them. No doubt the TaylorMade caps with the Penta logo will start to appear soon.

You will be seeing those soon as well. The TP Red was a very good ball (is a very good ball), but for me it lacked a little spin. While the TP Black was spinnier, I struggled with it off the tee. The Penta seems to combine the best of both worlds of these golf balls.

Today both myself and my playing partner played the Penta. Right now I would say that I am pretty much hooked on it. He felt the exact same way (until he lost my last Penta today). It just has everything that both of us are looking for in a ball.

There are tons of great balls out there, and I love a few of them (B330RX and Z-Star) and this may even knock both of them out of my bag. I have not found the flaws in it at any level that I have been looking for.

You will be seeing those soon as well. The TP Red was a very good ball (is a very good ball), but for me it lacked a little spin. While the TP Black was spinnier, I struggled with it off the tee. The Penta seems to combine the best of both worlds of these golf balls.
(bold added by me) Is there something you're trying to say here JB?

I use the TP Black mostly, but I play the TP Red on windier days to keep it a little lower. I do like it (Red) off the tee, as you do, but unless the green is fairly soft, I can't get it to spin off my wedges as much as I'd like.

The red and black as I have mentioned are going to be discontinued with the Penta being their Premium ball.

The red and black as I have mentioned are going to be discontinued with the Penta being their Premium ball.
Dang! Didn't see your earlier mention of that. Sorry.

I was hoping they'd continue with the Reds and Blacks being slotted into the Burner TP spot at the current $27/doz price.

Better stock up on the Reds and Blacks while they're still available... and on sale!

No issues. You still have plenty of time to get them, but we are being told that the line will be discontinued. However if you like those, you will love the Penta.

Back