I think it might have been an employee because they mow the greens on Sunday morning and I was the last person there Saturday evening.

I talked to the club pro about losing it and he is the one who told me about it. If an employee took it, it is definitely gone because they would have to admit stealing it because they did not turn it in when they found it. They would get fired for sure. I would not want someone to get fired for stealing my club.

Wouldn't bother me at all. I would feel far more comfortable knowing the the thief was no longer working in a position where he could steal someone else's clubs. I would turn him in in a heartbeat. I'm a golf course employee, and I certainly don't want to work with a thief.

It helps even more to lay them next to or across the flagstick. Makes it almost impossible to forget them.

Even better, leave anything you bring to the green between the hole and your bag. That way even if you forget, someone is bound to notice and at least call attention to it. When I walk off the green I'll pick up anything lying in my path.

I don't like having clubs laid across the flagstick, because if I'm the first to hole out, I always pick it up and get ready to replace it. I don't want to have to deal with the flagstick, my putter and wedge, and 2 or 3 other wedges too, not to mention a couple of wet towels. I do try to be courteous, but I'm not your caddie.

It helps even more to lay them next to or across the flagstick. Makes it almost impossible to forget them.

+1. Thats what I do. People have put the flag back in without grabbing my club though, they seemed baffled that I do this.

I learned the hard way. I used to leave wedges behind all the time. Once, I left my putter and wedge behind the green on no. 9 and left. I had holed out with a four iron for eagle (my first and only) and was looking for the ball behind the green when my friend found my ball in the hole. I forgot all about the clubs, but someone turned them in. :angel: I wasn't so lucky the next time I left my wedge behind. :banghead:

So I started with the flagstick trick. And got labels for my clubs. Haven't left one since. :clapp:

+1. Thats what I do. People have put the flag back in without grabbing my club though, they seemed baffled that I do this.

That's fine that you do this. I have in the past and still do without thinking sometimes. But in the end, it's your responsibility to grab your clubs, not theirs. Most groups I've been in tend to remind people about their clubs "over there" if they notice them. But really, if you put your clubs on the flagstick, then you should also be responsible for putting it back in (and in the process, picking up your clubs). If it's just "next to" the flagstick, sometimes people will pick up the stick and move around a little. Better to lay the clubs on the path back to the cart. I still think laying your glove next to your clubs is the best way to keep from forgetting your clubs on the green. You'll at least remember before your next tee shot.

You guys baffle me - you worry about things I would never think about. Now I'm wondering if people think I assume it's their job to pick up my clubs if they're on the flagstick. :confused2: I don't plan to worry about it though.

You guys baffle me - you worry about things I would never think about. Now I'm wondering if people think I assume it's their job to pick up my clubs if they're on the flagstick. :confused2: I don't plan to worry about it though.

Haven't you learned that on somethings us guys over think things. I usally will lay my extra club in the path back to the cart or my bag. If I'm carrying I try to lay my club against my bag or very close to it so I know I won't miss it. I couldn't do the glove trick because once my glove comes off it goes right to my pocket. That way I don't lose it on the course somewhere.

Haven't you learned that on somethings us guys over think things.

Yes, it's a lesson I learn over and over again. I'm still baffled by many things that men do.

Luckily for us men we have women completely figured out! :zrofl:

Yeah, I can't imagine keeping a club that I found. I could not sleep at night if I did something like that. It was a good excuse to try something else though.

I've kept 2 clubs I found on golf courses...

One was in a lake, I managed to get it out when I was fishing out a ball. One was deeeeeeeep into some nasty brush (I was again, looking for my ball)

They didn't get left in either place on accident.

The one in the lake was an old Marilyn Miller 9 iron, the one in the brush was a X-16 Steelhead with the stiffest shaft I've ever encountered in an iron; that dude must have been a bruiser, to go along with the hot temper that landed it way out there.

Yeah, I can't imagine keeping a club that I found. I could not sleep at night if I did something like that.

If an employee took it, it is definitely gone because they would have to admit stealing it because they did not turn it in when they found it. They would get fired for sure. I would not want someone to get fired for stealing my club.

Not sure it's technically stealing. Not saying it's right but there is a difference between finding a club vs walking up & taking it out of your bag.

Not sure it's technically stealing. Not saying it's right but there is a difference between finding a club vs walking up & taking it out of your bag.

Come on Dyna - A club in the fairway, rough, sand or green was probably left accidently. There is no way anyone can justify keeping a club found in one of those places.

Come on Dyna - A club in the fairway, rough, sand or green was probably left accidently. There is no way anyone can justify keeping a club found in one of those places.

I'm not saying anything thing about keeping it. Merely discussing the semantics of stealing vs finding.

Depends on what your definition of is, is. :D

But really, if you put your clubs on the flagstick, then you should also be responsible for putting it back in (and in the process, picking up your clubs).

Chances are if they are too lazy to pick up my one wedge for me, they are the type of people who never grab the flagstick anyways.

I'm not saying anything thing about keeping it. Merely discussing the semantics of stealing vs finding.

I think it's more a question of ethics than semantics.

I think it's more a question of ethics than semantics.

It's no question at all, if you have a club in your bag that isn't yours then you have no ethics.

Plenty of dirtbags in the world, just because some of them either work at a course or play the game doesn't absolve them of being a pos.

It's no question at all, if you have a club in your bag that isn't yours then you have no ethics.

Plenty of dirtbags in the world, just because some of them either work at a course or play the game doesn't absolve them of being a pos.

:banghead: Dyna - Are you being ornery on purpose today? It's worse than usual.

:banghead: Dyna - Are you being ornery on purpose today? It's worse than usual.

Ornery??? I'm agreeing with you on the subject, just don't agree that it's stealing.

Dyna if you left your car in a parking lot and couldn’t find it for a few hours and someone decided to take it would it be stealing? :D

I lost a 6 iron on a trip to FLA with the boys last yesr. We played University Park and I lost it on 18 - went back the next morning and no one turned it in. I have address labels on the shafts and still nothing... The ranger said - if 1 of the workers found it - it's gone - they'll sell it or use it to kill snakes.......

Shame on me for being a knub nut..... - I always lay my clubs down with the flag stick....

I see your point. They showed a lack of morals, but stolen club makes a great thread title.

Ornery??? I'm agreeing with you on the subject, just don't agree that it's stealing.

I think we can safely assume a golf club you find belongs to someone else. If you keep it after you find it, why is that not stealing?

I have only left one club behind that I didnt realize before the round ended. Whenever I have gone back for it, someone in the group behind would always be holding it out when they saw me coming. The one I left behind was the 7 iron out of my favorite set and I was the last guy on the course that evening. We got a heavy rain overnight and the course flooded, taking my club away with it. I am sure it is in the Gulf of Mexico by now.

Big problem was that my set was unusual and left hand and I could not find a replacement. I finally got on eBay and searched for 3 months before I found a full replacement set.

I'm sorry, finding and making no attempt to return is stealing.* Every golf course has a lost and found. I've turned in numerous clubs, headcovers, etc.

Yet another reason to walk instead of ride. My clubs are always with me and I don't need to lay them on the ground where I can forget about them.

*I would make an exception for clubs tossed in the water or deep in the woods. Those are clearly abandoned. One of my favorite recent golf tournament memories is watching the woman wade into a creek to retrieve Charley Hoffman's Scotty Cameron Fastback. Good on her.

I had my two ball putter stolen earlier this year. I had it on the ninth green and halfway down ten noticed it was missing. went back to look for it and it was nowhere to be seen.

Back