The THP Range/Practice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
LOL Ary. Who could make fun of such a handsome devil?

Not a very good day at the range today. Just felt discombobulated in everything. Not really doing the basics well and it showed in my hitting. I did hit a groove of about 15 balls in a row that were nailed on the sweetspot. But got tired at the end and the shanks reared their ugly head. Left a sour taste

I had some shanks the last time I was at the range. It was frustrating!

I've just been trying to get comfortable with the new clubs for this season. I was going to get out on the course today, but it is so wet that it wouldn't be very beneficial.

I got about four hours off of our new mats, which are the closest to real grass that I have seen. After that, I got a couple hours in with the wedges and putter.

My game has been all over the map lately and I decided to take advantage of the glory known as daylight savings time! My swing thought today was "I am Freddy Couples" and as it usually does, it worked. Really felt good on the last 2/3 of the medium bucket. As is often my issue, it all came down to alignment and swinging on plane towards my target. Once I got that going it was a very positive day, finally!

Six hours is a lot of practice

It is, but I have some PGA sectional events early in the season that I need to get prepared for and once my course opens I don't get as much range time for myself.

The last two nights I've been hitting into the net in the basement, trying to identify/recreate the groove that I felt last time on the range. I had previously been trying to keep a flat left wrist, which was inhibiting my hinge/lag/release/etc. When I eased up the wrist tension, I started feeling a late hinge at the top, and seemed to be getting much easier speed, while still seeming to be making good contact. I decided to work on trying to get a good consistent feel to the hinge and see where it led.

When I tried this before my lessons, I think that a number of other problems with my stance and posture were overpowering any positive effects this may have had. So, in order to focus on contact, I was trying to maintain a quiet wrist swing, maybe similar to Stricker a little bit. Short, quiet wrists.

Now, I think things may be falling together to let this work out better, but I need to get to the range tomorrow to confirm.

I'm trying to work through some swing changes. If my pro is there i can get dialed in and really stripe them. Left to my own devices I seem to struggle a little. Today was an instance of that happening.

I want to go play so bad right now that it's about to drive me crazy.

I want to go play so bad right now that it's about to drive me crazy.

I have been playing a lot the past 2 weeks, but it has been a waste. No more playing, just range time, for the foreseeable future. Can't get out tonight due to kids' baseball schedules, but am hoping for tomorrow after work.

So I had a range session before my round on Sunday. Hit total of 40 balls. First two were perfect shots and after that ALL SHANKS! No exaggeration there. So I was afraid my round was going to be terrible but my shanks went away immediately. First 4 holes, all pars.
I just don't understand how this works! Ugghh...

I have been playing a lot the past 2 weeks, but it has been a waste. No more playing, just range time, for the foreseeable future. Can't get out tonight due to kids' baseball schedules, but am hoping for tomorrow after work.

I've not been on grass for a few weeks now, but even that is disappointing this time of the year. I want to fire some balls at a green and putt. Sounds so refreshing. Really hoping for this weekend!

So I had a range session before my round on Sunday. Hit total of 40 balls. First two were perfect shots and after that ALL SHANKS! No exaggeration there. So I was afraid my round was going to be terrible but my shanks went away immediately. First 4 holes, all pars.
I just don't understand how this works! Ugghh...

Pre round range time is always a fluke. Myseterious isn't it?

I've not been on grass for a few weeks now, but even that is disappointing this time of the year. I want to fire some balls at a green and putt. Sounds so refreshing. Really hoping for this weekend!

Pre round range time is always a fluke. Myseterious isn't it?

I almost feel like never hitting the range again before my rounds. Mysterious indeed!

I almost feel like never hitting the range again before my rounds. Mysterious indeed!

Man, I just go to get my muscles warmed up. A lot of times I just hit 9 to 3 shots to get the feel I want rather than try to hit shots I'm hoping to take to the course. It can be frustrating.

Great range session tonight after work. The bad news is that a 20mph wind was straight into the line, with 30mph gusts, so getting my distance down was out of the question. It made for some pretty balloon shots though.

I worked on two things today - focusing on keeping my stance upright, and wrist hinge/release. I think things are feeling really good. My 3W and hybrids were struck better today than they've ever been. Great contact with a lot better trajectory than I had been getting out of them the last few sessions (before the wind got hold).

All of my irons felt great, even the 5.

When I lost focus, there were some mishits, but nothing too penalizing or demoralizing. A couple of fades snuck in, which I think were made worse by the wind. All in all, good session for me.

Way to keep at it Shark! I forget who said it, but if it's windy, practicing into it is the best option. It does tend to exaggerate things though. I love the sky balls you can put up there with it.

I practice for about 45 minutes. Started off with drills. Primarily a bunch of core swings and then a bunch with the exercise ball between the knees. Ended up hitting the ball really well. Wasn't loving my iron distance, but I'm thinking that was a product of the irons since i hit everything else really well. Better session than yesterday for sure.

Way to keep at it Shark! I forget who said it, but if it's windy, practicing into it is the best option. It does tend to exaggerate things though. I love the sky balls you can put up there with it.

I practice for about 45 minutes. Started off with drills. Primarily a bunch of core swings and then a bunch with the exercise ball between the knees. Ended up hitting the ball really well. Wasn't loving my iron distance, but I'm thinking that was a product of the irons since i hit everything else really well. Better session than yesterday for sure.

The down side to the wind was that I was hitting my 9 Iron and still coming up short of the target that I usually like to hit my 52° to. It was a pretty stiff wind.

Yea man. You're not going to be doing much for distance tracking. Good chance to see what you need to do in the wind at least. I know it's not the most fun thing in the world though. The range at my club was completely exposed and always seemed to play into the wind. Sometimes a guy just doesn't want to hit wiener balls.

Hit the range today and things went pretty well! My distances were ok, but man my aim was pretty good- and that is really exciting. I was bombing my 3w and 4h, and I was placing my irons right where I wanted em. Hit my 58 a little fat a few times but ended on a good one.

Also worked on a lot of chipping and putting. Holed out 2 of my first 8 chips from about 15 feet! Holed out another from further later, and made 2 putts I would say were roughly 20-30 feet. Putting overall was pretty good. Really think my short game is improving

Did some work on the range today with the RBZ Stage 2 3w. Very mixed results. I think that testing and demoing different irons for the last twro weeks has effected my woods play. I seem to be way over swinging all my big sticks and right now that is not a good thing. Really going to have to be more deliberrate and slow down the swing. Hope tomorrow is better as we are starting league play. First time with this group and I don't know what kind of game I am going to play.

Hoping to go to the range tomorrow and Thursday in preparation for the invitational!

Went to the range around the corner from my daughter's art class tonight while she was in class. Hit some good wedges and 8-irons on the range for about 20 minutes and spent the rest of the time chipping. Got some good work done, even with the limited time available. Reaffirmed the importance of picking a specific target.

And here's a pet peeve: this particular course has both short game area complete with bunker, and a standard putting green. So where does an old man decide he wants to putt? Right in the middle of the short-game green, stopping myself and another from practicing bunker shots. I stood there and looked and him incredulously and he was completely oblivious. I was just walking out of the bunker to say something (politely) to him when my alarm went off, indicating it was time to go pick up my daughter so I let it be, but I couldn't believe the arrogance or cluelessness of this person.

Good work Wade. Some people are so inconsiderate. Only care about themselves.

I think I just undid every improvement I've made in the last two months....

Started the bucket off okay, then went to complete crap.

I had the best driving range session I have honestly ever had. I started with 25 shots to the green at 120 and put every one of them on the green. I hit my long irons well, with not much of a fade which is very rare for me.

Then when I pulled the blue bomber out it was the same I saw the last time I used it, hard to not hit it straight. I really really hope that this carries over into this weekend.

It was a great feeling, like I am still smiling feeling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back