The THP Range/Practice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had the best driving range session I have honestly ever had. I started with 25 shots to the green at 120 and put every one of them on the green. I hit my long irons well, with not much of a fade which is very rare for me.

Then when I pulled the blue bomber out it was the same I saw the last time I used it, hard to not hit it straight. I really really hope that this carries over into this weekend.

It was a great feeling, like I am still smiling feeling

Guy is gonna acta fool on some fools on Saturday! I am hoping to get my first round of the year in Saturday. Gonna be cold, but I am gonna try!

I think I just undid every improvement I've made in the last two months....

Started the bucket off okay, then went to complete crap.

I think after taking some time to decompress, I was a bit overzealous in my range session. I was short on time and rushed, so my back tired out early and I think my swing degraded back to too much arm action.

Letting it go like it didn't happen.

Taylor - nice job buddy!

Shark - that second post is what I like to see. Blah days happen buddy. Let it go!

So, I read almost the entire Tour Tempo book today, then listened to the tones over and over and over lol. Then I did some of the drills they recommended. I'll be damned if I didn't just crush the ball during my practice session tonight. I picked up a good 4-5 mph ball speed with every club I hit. Wasn't really the straightest I've ever been, but daaaang.

Taylor - nice job buddy!

Shark - that second post is what I like to see. Blah days happen buddy. Let it go!

So, I read almost the entire Tour Tempo book today, then listened to the tones over and over and over lol. Then I did some of the drills they recommended. I'll be damned if I didn't just crush the ball during my practice session tonight. I picked up a good 4-5 mph ball speed with every club I hit. Wasn't really the straightest I've ever been, but daaaang.

AWESOME! You have me pondering. That thing is a few years old right? Did you get it on the cheap?

AWESOME! You have me pondering. That thing is a few years old right? Did you get it on the cheap?

Yea, it came out quite awhile ago. I got the book, CD/DVD, and a portable player for $34. Much cheaper than when it came out.

Yea, it came out quite awhile ago. I got the book, CD/DVD, and a portable player for $34. Much cheaper than when it came out.

Dang I might have to try this thing. I like the idea of this thing

Forgot to mention that was Amazon, TH.

Are you looking for the sounds, want to read the book, both?

Are you looking for the sounds, want to read the book, both?

Kinda both honestly. The sound more so than the book, but I think I could benefit from both. Really trying to work hard this year on my game

The book was pretty useful just to understand the concept.

Kinda both honestly. The sound more so than the book, but I think I could benefit from both. Really trying to work hard this year on my game

PM Jim the SharkWrestler. I sent him my book/CD to use and told him to just pass it along when he is done with it. FWIW, I read most of the book, then just imported the CD to my itunes and just have them on my phone digitally. Works great.

PM Jim the SharkWrestler. I sent him my book/CD to use and told him to just pass it along when he is done with it. FWIW, I read most of the book, then just imported the CD to my itunes and just have them on my phone digitally. Works great.

Thanks dude! Will do

My oldest (12) and I hit the range and practice green this evening while my youngest had her First Tee class. Got some more practice in with the Super Stroke grip I put on my putter. Definitely went better than when I played on the weekend, but I've decided to go in tomorrow or Friday and replace the 3.0 with a slimmer grip. Worked some wedges on the range and got a little more in sync with my driver. All the range stations, by the end of the day, were so chewed up that it was frustrating. Hard to get your ball on a decent lie to hit. I'm all for practicing bad lies, but not exclusively!

Hit the range last night for the second bucket of the year. Found a little rust in the long irons and with this being only the 2nd bucket, I hit mostly the shorter ones. 150 yard shots and in felt pretty comfortable and was suprised at the accuracy this early in the year. I think the repaired shoulder has something to do with that.
No shoulder pain and with all the rehab I have been doing since October, the flexibility was quite good in it. The early results show promise for a pretty good year.

My oldest (12) and I hit the range and practice green this evening while my youngest had her First Tee class. Got some more practice in with the Super Stroke grip I put on my putter. Definitely went better than when I played on the weekend, but I've decided to go in tomorrow or Friday and replace the 3.0 with a slimmer grip. Worked some wedges on the range and got a little more in sync with my driver. All the range stations, by the end of the day, were so chewed up that it was frustrating. Hard to get your ball on a decent lie to hit. I'm all for practicing bad lies, but not exclusively!

That's one of my biggest pet peeves. I'll drive quite a ways for decent range grass.

Hit the range last night for the second bucket of the year. Found a little rust in the long irons and with this being only the 2nd bucket, I hit mostly the shorter ones. 150 yard shots and in felt pretty comfortable and was suprised at the accuracy this early in the year. I think the repaired shoulder has something to do with that.
No shoulder pain and with all the rehab I have been doing since October, the flexibility was quite good in it. The early results show promise for a pretty good year.

Good to hear, Drumdog!

Well after the range session last Thursday, I am planning on hitting the range again tonight seeing as the snow we had over the last couple of days has disappeared

Got the same selection of clubs in the car again as last week, 6i, 8i, PW and 3W just to concentrate on getting the swing nicely grooved along with the 'heat-in-a-click' to keep my hands warm between swings
Looking out of the window at the office here and it is cloudy but bright and 39*, temps are expected to drop a couple of degrees so not expecting my normal distance but as long as I can make nice solid contact like last week and the accuracy is still there then I will be happy

(Need to get as much golf in as possible to try and keep up with the sneaky bandits in our UK THP event in June :D)

Crisis averted (hopefully)

I think when I was trying to make sure my stance was a bit more upright I was crowding the ball way too much. I backed off, took my time and evaluated every shot. Contact got back to a good place, but I still had some pretty good fade working. It looks like I might be keeping my shoulders open again. Things were straightening out by the end of the bucket, and my 7 iron was working for the target mound at about 165.

Well it was either much warmer tonight or I was striking the ball a lot better than last week as I was peppering the 125yd green with my PW tonight instead of the 8i like last week. Hit a few bad shots but I think that was down to the mat being a bit solid in a few places and I must have put the ball on those bits a couple times

Otherwise it was another good session, slight crosswind meant a couple shots leaked a few yards right of where I aimed them at times but general ball striking was nice and crisp

All I need now is to get some rounds in and I will be off and running :D

After a terrible round yesterday I hit the driving range to fiqure out what had happened to my swing. I could not hit anything worth a flip. When I started I was doing what most do as in just hitting and nothing else, so I took a step back and set a plan in action to practice.

1. Alignment - Find the line I wanted to hit the ball on.
2. Posture - Find a comfortable posture and the correct posture. More squat and less bending over.
3. Press - I hit the ball better when I press forward before I start my takeaway.
4. Takeaway - Smooth un-rushed backswing.
5. Pause - Short pause at the top.
6. Downswing - It starts with the lower body.
7. Finish - Finish facing my target.

Every ball I hit after taking this approach was so much better than yesterday and better than the 1st 10 balls I hit.
Now if I can translate this to the course my game will improve by leaps and bounds.

After not playing for 3 months now when I make it to the range, I (to quote Lee Westwood) feel like I don't know which end of the club to hold.

I need to not feel discouraged when I go to the range when it's 20* out with frozen range balls and not even flirt with my distances in the summer. I need to learn to focus purely on contact and not worry if my 8 iron is going 130 instead of 150.

Went for a range session yesterday afternoon after work as the weather was amazing. My goal for the day was to focus on my longer irons: 7i through 4i. Half way through my bucket things were not going well. Everything was a weak push with little power and I wasnt compressing the ball whatsoever. I stepped back and took baseball like swings and stretched a bit. I knew if I kept doing the same thing over I would get the same results so I told mylself to try something, anything different. I have always had a problem with a "powerfade" as I call it but when I am on it is a real tool as I can elinimate an entire side of the course and it is very reliable for me. I decided to close the club face just a tad by moving the grip over to the left in my hands. The results were shocking. Have I been keeping the club open at address all my life? I have no idea as my eye always showed that the face was square, but apparently I have. I was free swinging and the ball came off the ground with that woosh sound of a penetrating ball flight. After finishing off the bucket feeling really great I went over to my 10th hole which is a 170 yard par 3. I pulled my seven iron and didnt bother teeing it up becasue I wanted to simulate hitting from a fairway. It flew with nice fade and landed 20 feet from the pin on the green. Not close by any means but still validated the results I was seeing on the range.​

Went for a range session yesterday afternoon after work as the weather was amazing. My goal for the day was to focus on my longer irons: 7i through 4i. Half way through my bucket things were not going well. Everything was a weak push with little power and I wasnt compressing the ball whatsoever. I stepped back and took baseball like swings and stretched a bit. I knew if I kept doing the same thing over I would get the same results so I told mylself to try something, anything different. I have always had a problem with a "powerfade" as I call it but when I am on it is a real tool as I can elinimate an entire side of the course and it is very reliable for me. I decided to close the club face just a tad by moving the grip over to the left in my hands. The results were shocking. Have I been keeping the club open at address all my life? I have no idea as my eye always showed that the face was square, but apparently I have. I was free swinging and the ball came off the ground with that woosh sound of a penetrating ball flight. After finishing off the bucket feeling really great I went over to my 10th hole which is a 170 yard par 3. I pulled my seven iron and didnt bother teeing it up becasue I wanted to simulate hitting from a fairway. It flew with nice fade and landed 20 feet from the pin on the green. Not close by any means but still validated the results I was seeing on the range.​

I'm glad you started hitting the ball well. I want to say that shutting the club face is a band aide and will soon produce so less than favorable shots.

If you play a powerfade then you have some over the top in your swing. This with a closed club face could produce a pull hook or huge fade.

My buddy texted me after work and asked if I wanted to split another bucket. For some reason I said yes.

My session after work definitely wiped yesterday off the map. I'm ready for Texas now... #bringit

I want to go play so bad right now that it's about to drive me crazy.

I've been that way for about a week...I finally was able to get out today...

To keep this post on topic... The course I play the most, is upgrading the short game area by adding a bunker...I'm really really happy about this, I just hope they put decent sand in it and stay up on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back