PING G25 Irons - THP Preview

These irons certainly weren't short last night when I was practicing. Saw some ball speeds out of them that definitely put a smile on my face. They continue to spin/launch a bit higher than the RocketBladez for me. The feel/sound is pretty different too. The term soft is cliche', but in comparison to the RocketBladez, that is the term I'd use off the top of my head.

How was your distance between the two? I know i lost about 5-7 yrs with my i20's going to these.

I didn't hit them side by side last night, but previously the 7 iron was 5-7 yards shorter on good strikes. Felt like I broke through a bit last night though.

Good to hear Hawk. Think you are getting more comfortable or just had a good day on the range?

I was hitting the ball really well across the board, but still impressive for sure.

Hawk, Judge how are those irons treating ya? Anyone have anymore practice with them?

Hawk, Judge how are those irons treating ya? Anyone have anymore practice with them?

Been at work all day, me and my son might go out this weekend so i can get some more whacks with them. I'm very happy with my purchase and my I20's just sold on ebay. I dont think i'll be switching irons for a long time, these are just some really nice clubs, wtg ping.

I am booked in for a fitting for some G25 irons on Tuesday so I am after some tips if that is alright. I have never had a fitting before, and am curious to understand what I should expect and what processes the fitter should take me through.

I have hit some Pings G20's and i20's and found that the standard shaft had a soft draw, where the firm was much straighter but that is as far as it goes. I am convinced that my current irons are too short for me. I am around 6' 4" and until now have played standard length and lie irons but I am sure that this results in a lot of shots off the toe and flying right.

How do I make sure that I walk away with irons that fit? These will be keepers for a good while so I want to get the most out of it.

Thanks

Had a couple good practice sessions with them, but still waiting for the weather to cooperate. Big hopes for this weekend!

I am booked in for a fitting for some G25 irons on Tuesday so I am after some tips if that is alright. I have never had a fitting before, and am curious to understand what I should expect and what processes the fitter should take me through.

I have hit some Pings G20's and i20's and found that the standard shaft had a soft draw, where the firm was much straighter but that is as far as it goes. I am convinced that my current irons are too short for me. I am around 6' 4" and until now have played standard length and lie irons but I am sure that this results in a lot of shots off the toe and flying right.

How do I make sure that I walk away with irons that fit? These will be keepers for a good while so I want to get the most out of it.

Thanks

As long as your fitter is a certified PING fitter, you should have some reassurance. I know that Jrod got what I'd call a bad fitting and was able to get it corrected pretty easily.

Really pondering these right now. I'm getting more consistent, even if it's consistently bad. I've had two sets of Mizunos since I started, an MX-19 and an MP-52. The 19's don't really suit my eye. The 52's are the best looking iron I've ever seen, and I bought them because they were what I really wanted when I got started.

My wife has G-15's, and I've swung them. I don't care for the size or the offset - both of which are somewhat smaller in the G-25's. I may try to demo the 25's and see what they feel like on-course. My MP-52's feel so darned good when you catch one well (and conversely, so awful if you don't!). Also, my natural ball flight is HIGH. My instructor tells me my 6 iron flies about as high as most folks' 8 or 9 iron. It costs me distance, but it helps me hold the green. I'm concerned that the G-25's would launch continual moon balls for me.

Nothing left to do but try them, I guess.

Well good luck esquire, for the ball flight i know they can hardstep them which would lower the trajectory and try different shaft combinations as well. But i'm sure if you get fitted by a ping rep you'll be fine.

The great thing about PING is they can change your specs relatively easy despite being a cast golf club. I was fitted last year and my swing has changed and re-doing the specs was quite painless. Once you get proper shaft and flex you should be just fine.

TapAhoy!

Thanks

Look for a certified Ping guy. Also it would be a huge bonus if the guy has the Nflight system. I used it for a driver fitting a few years back and it was awesome. He will take some measurements and he will have you hit a bunch of balls. But it is a huge bonus if he has the Nflight. It will truly dial you in. Also I would want to hit a number of different shafts if at all possible. I know a lot of people rave about the CFS shafts, but I didn't like them at all.

Played today woohoo !!!
these irons are so easy to hit & hit straight it should be illegal to use them .
normally play around 95 today hit 85 with 8 pars . My trouble was using a friends driver !! Should of stuck with my g25 20* rescue as that goes just as far & really straight .
Best & easiest game of golf I've ever played , once within 170 yards these irons were 6inch accurate .

keeping these forever

Played today woohoo !!!
these irons are so easy to hit & hit straight it should be illegal to use them .
normally play around 95 today hit 85 with 8 pars . My trouble was using a friends driver !! Should of stuck with my g25 20* rescue as that goes just as far & really straight .
Best & easiest game of golf I've ever played , once within 170 yards these irons were 6inch accurate .

keeping these forever

Glad to hear you're liking your irons!

As I suspected, I liked these a lot more once I got to hit them on grass. Hit a pretty good number of GIR's for me and had a few more near misses. Ball flight was high, even down into the 5/6 irons. I am missing on the toe a bit more than I'd like and I feel like they lag a bit behind the RocketBladez in forgiveness there. That's just anecdotal though. Had some lefties with the short irons early, but eventually got them dialed in and hit some shots that I was extremely happy with. I'll add more later on.

I might be reading more into this than there is, but I think Hawk is going to need a Hunter Mahan flat brim pretty soon

Hahaha. We'll see.

Glad to hear you're liking your irons!

As I suspected, I liked these a lot more once I got to hit them on grass. Hit a pretty good number of GIR's for me and had a few more near misses. Ball flight was high, even down into the 5/6 irons. I am missing on the toe a bit more than I'd like and I feel like they lag a bit behind the RocketBladez in forgiveness there. That's just anecdotal though. Had some lefties with the short irons early, but eventually got them dialed in and hit some shots that I was extremely happy with. I'll add more later on.

Look forward to hearing Hawk. Good to hear

these don't look like near as much of GI irons as previous G series irons have been... or are they?

New to the forum. Bought a set of the G25's with CFS stiff shafts. I owned a set of Ping I20's before these. I like the looks of these irons and the trajectory. The distance to me is about the same. Ping hit a home run with these irons!

these don't look like near as much of GI irons as previous G series irons have been... or are they?

I think they are very much a GI looking iron in hand and at address. They have a thinner topline than others in it's class, and the sole isn't quite as wide as G series irons of the past. Still, it's quite offset and a larger iron head.

New to the forum. Bought a set of the G25's with CFS stiff shafts. I owned a set of Ping I20's before these. I like the looks of these irons and the trajectory. The distance to me is about the same. Ping hit a home run with these irons!

Welcome to the forum Strick!

Ping offers Recoils as a shaft option now. These with Recoils would be an outstanding set!

I'd like to try that out.

I was very close dude. Very close

Dude. I hit some great shots with these today! After my last two practice sessions I was honestly a bit nervous. Made some mistakes on club choice and my line that cost me a few more greens, but that happens. Only really had two misses that I'd call just plain bad. One being a mildly thick (lol) 5 iron with the ball above my feet and one being a big hook 9 iron. The rest ranged from playable to very good.

Two shots really stood out for me. One being a 5 iron that I stuck into the wind and another being a 9 iron that I stuck with the wind helping. The 5 iron wasn't super close or anything, but I was dancing with a 5 iron, which is a big win for me. The 9 iron was pretty close from 155 that the wind just carried and carried.

The have what I'd almost call a soft crack to them at impact. Far softer sounding than both the 588 CB and Bladez, but not mushy. Very nice sound to them.

Back