The Marathon Thread

Congrats!

Hey there guys just thought I would share with you all that I am now a member of the 4:20 marathon club. Today I set a new PR with a 4:21:53 time. I beat my other time by 46 minutes!. This time the weather was in the 40's and I run so much better when it is cold compared to the last marathon when it was 70 when I finished. Probably could have done a little better if the wind was not 15-20mph in my face for 9miles. Now come the hard part of training to get down the the 4hr club.

Thats awesome! I would like to someday run a full marathon, I have ran 4 half marathons with my 5th going to be on April 27th of this year in Louisville, KY. Which Marathon did you set your PR?

10 minute miles sound so easy until about mile 12...then reality sets in. congrats man, I couldn't do it
Sent from my Windows 8 Phone

Congrats, I'm amazed at how you guys can do this. I thought I was a badass running the 2 mile in high school, lol. Great job!

That's fantastic. Running a full marathon is a personal goal of mine.

Congrats.

Thats awesome! I would like to someday run a full marathon, I have ran 4 half marathons with my 5th going to be on April 27th of this year in Louisville, KY. Which Marathon did you set your PR?

Ran the Shamrock in Va Beach.

Congrats! What marathon was it? That kind of wind is definitely a factor. Sounds like great progress; you'll hit 4:00 next time definitely!

Solid work. That is an excellent time.

It was the Shamrock in Va Beach. Yeah we had the wind behind us from mile 1-6 and 23-26. It was dead in our face from mile 7-8, 10-17
Congrats! What marathon was it? That kind of wind is definitely a factor. Sounds like great progress; you'll hit 4:00 next time definitely!

Damn impressive, dude. Congrats!

It was the Shamrock in Va Beach. Yeah we had the wind behind us from mile 1-6 and 23-26. It was dead in our face from mile 7-8, 10-17

Awesome. Now get some rest!

Marathon

Marathon

Has anyone ever run in one? I'm training for my first one now. I'm planning on running in the Bass Pro Marathon is Missouri on November 3rd. I don't really have a certain time I'm trying to get, I just want to finish the first one. The guys I'm running with have all ran in a couple of them, so at least I'm training with someone who knows what they are doing.

Seth (ATLGolfer) is a big runner and I think he's run a marathon. Maybe he'll chime in.

I applaud your effort but if you see me running, try to keep up 'cause something bad ain't far behind.

Only ever done half-marathons in years gone by - all I can suggest is if you have got a training schedule, try to follow it as it should be designed to build you up to the full distance by the time you are due to run

On the day, don't be pulled into running at a faster pace early as it will come back to hurt you later, but above all, enjoy it and good luck

Agreed on sticking to the training schedule - the biggest being that you'll be tempted to do more and/or run faster on some days. Don't. Force yourself to follow it.

The fact that you've got some guys to train with is awesome - as long as their endurance base isn't markedly different from yours. Don't get injured trying to hang with people you're not as fit as.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD

Agreed on sticking to the training schedule - the biggest being that you'll be tempted to do more and/or run faster on some days. Don't. Force yourself to follow it.

The fact that you've got some guys to train with is awesome - as long as their endurance base isn't markedly different from yours. Don't get injured trying to hang with people you're not as fit as.

Some of the guys I'm training with can haul, but there's a few that will hold back just a little to make sure I'm doing what I'm supposed to be doing. I'm hoping to be able to finish in around 4 hours and 15-30 minutes. With this being my first one, I just really don't know how fast I can go and still make it to the finish line. I think I should be able to do that fairly easily, but I really have no idea at this point.

Some of the guys I'm training with can haul, but there's a few that will hold back just a little to make sure I'm doing what I'm supposed to be doing. I'm hoping to be able to finish in around 4 hours and 15-30 minutes. With this being my first one, I just really don't know how fast I can go and still make it to the finish line. I think I should be able to do that fairly easily, but I really have no idea at this point.

If you follow a plan and train accordingly - then hold yourself back on race day early so you don't go out too fast - you'll be fine. Most importantly - have a blast!!!

The RunKeeper app has numerous marathon programs based on desired time. That may help.

Seth (ATLGolfer) is a big runner and I think he's run a marathon. Maybe he'll chime in.

I'm big, and I'm a runner...

My suggestion is to find a training schedule and stick to it. (I used one of Hal Higdon's online schedules.) Marathon training is much different than half marathon training, and it is much more intense. I found the training a lot more difficult than the actual race.

For half marathons, I basically ran 2-3 short runs during the week and a progressively long run on the weekend. For full training, I ran 3-4 times a week (usually on back-to-back days) with a progressively long run. The mid-week runs were much harder for me, especially towards the end of the week.

For mileage, I never had a training run longer than 20 miles, and I think my highest total mileage for a week was around 40 (probably a little under that). I felt like I was ready for the race, though.

It's an incredible accomplishment and it takes a lot of hard work, but it's definitely worth it in my opinion. Just get yourself mentally prepared for it. The training is more like a job than a hobby.

I am probably running the Miami marathon in February. I don't think I can handle training for more than one in a year.

I'm big, and I'm a runner...

My suggestion is to find a training schedule and stick to it. (I used one of Hal Higdon's online schedules.) Marathon training is much different than half marathon training, and it is much more intense. I found the training a lot more difficult than the actual race.

For half marathons, I basically ran 2-3 short runs during the week and a progressively long run on the weekend. For full training, I ran 3-4 times a week (usually on back-to-back days) with a progressively long run. The mid-week runs were much harder for me, especially towards the end of the week.

For mileage, I never had a training run longer than 20 miles, and I think my highest total mileage for a week was around 40 (probably a little under that). I felt like I was ready for the race, though.

It's an incredible accomplishment and it takes a lot of hard work, but it's definitely worth it in my opinion. Just get yourself mentally prepared for it. The training is more like a job than a hobby.

I am probably running the Miami marathon in February. I don't think I can handle training for more than one in a year.

There's a possibility if this one goes well, I may try to do either the St. Jude in Memphis or the Rock n Roll in New Orleans next February. I need to get through the first one first.

There's a possibility if this one goes well, I may try to do either the St. Jude in Memphis or the Rock n Roll in New Orleans next February. I need to get through the first one first.

My suggestion would be not to run another one that soon. Shortly after you finish the marathon and get back to a normal running schedule, you realize how worn down your legs are. Trying to do another marathon training session would be really tough, especially if you're not used to running that much.

Back