Cleveland Classic XL & XL Custom Driver Preview Thread

Not gonna lie. I'm pretty lost right now. I think a trip to Golfsmith is in order.

I dont think you are alone in that one JT, I'm going to hit a local shop and try to get some numbers too.

White one could have been the Fubuki. Not sure about the blue, may have been a non-stock shaft since the JDL and Black Tie are both black shafts.

Went and looked on Cleveland's site...I think the blue may be the Matrix Radix. Think.

Okay, thankfully, I got something figured out. I think I'm going to go with Matrix Black Tie X-Flex 9.0* and adjust it so it's 8-8.5*

Paging Hawk to this thread, Hawk...

Need some banter about the XL + 4S...

Hey buddy I'm here.

Might be in/out for a minute. Putting youngin's to bed soon :D

Hey buddy I'm here.

Might be in/out for a minute. Putting youngin's to bed soon :D
I hear ya dude.

How's your launch with your current setup of 10.5* and the 4S? Thoughts on what it would be similar to? Compare to your Classic from the MC last year?

Im just unsure of where I am going with my setup. Current ponder is the Custom XL, 10.5* with JDL 5S.

I launch the 10.5°/4S higher than the R1 at 11.25° by a decent margin. At times, the spin is pretty comparable, but for the most part, it spins less than the R1. The shaft feels GREAT. Really smooth and just a real joy to swing. Misses for me tend to be left. Big draws.

Knowing a few things about your prefereces, I think the XL/4S could be a good combo, as long as you generate enough spin. It'll fit right into that smooth tempo/light shaft thing you like. Do you know what sort of numbers you've seen recently with other drivers?

I launch the 10.5°/4S higher than the R1 at 11.25° by a decent margin. At times, the spin is pretty comparable, but for the most part, it spins less than the R1. The shaft feels GREAT. Really smooth and just a real joy to swing. Misses for me tend to be left. Big draws.

Knowing a few things about your prefereces, I think the XL/4S could be a good combo, as long as you generate enough spin. It'll fit right into that smooth tempo/light shaft thing you like. Do you know what sort of numbers you've seen recently with other drivers?
I need a higher launching shaft, I know that for sure. I am hitting the R1 on the 12* setting and need to improve my launch angle to maximize carry distance, that would come with a better shaft in it, for sure.

In recent times on the Launch Monitor with the R1, I am seeing a launch around 9* on the 12* setting, and putting a ton of spin on the ball.

Ha! Well, we are sort of opposites then lol. Where are you making contact on the face of the R1 most often? High or low?

Ha! Well, we are sort of opposites then lol. Where are you making contact on the face of the R1 most often? High or low?
High on the face is my miss.

Im a line drive hitter off the tee with most drivers. Improving my launch is where I need to focus, and there is my issue when it comes to what I am looking at.

Do I go 12* w/ mid-high launch B Asha. Or 10.5 with JDL, lighter weight which I prefer in my shafts.

Well, my guess is you'd see higher launch with the Classic XL up towards the top. At least that's what I've seen between the two. You know, if you're launching that low, the higher spin is going to help you keep the ball in the air. It's not ideal by internet golfer standards, but it's better than low/low.

Any way you can hit it?

Well, my guess is you'd see higher launch with the Classic XL up towards the top. At least that's what I've seen between the two. You know, if you're launching that low, the higher spin is going to help you keep the ball in the air. It's not ideal by internet golfer standards, but it's better than low/low.

Any way you can hit it?
Im going to check Golfsmith this week, but last I checked they didnt have it in stock.

Might try some local courses or driving ranges too. If they are a dealer they should have a demo for you. I don't really know the properties of the JDL, but it just seems the exact opposite of what you know works for you, in addition to a very different head.

Might try some local courses or driving ranges too. If they are a dealer they should have a demo for you. I don't really know the properties of the JDL, but it just seems the exact opposite of what you know works for you, in addition to a very different head.
The JDL seems quite similar to the Kusala Blue in terms of IFC, just a bit softer in the tip and lighter. I have hit JBs Classic at 12* with the blue, and always loved that setup.

Head is spinning dude.

Well that makes sense then. I understand the feeling man. Honestly, the best advice I can give is to go with something that you know and were comfortable with in the past if you can't find a way to dial in that perfect set up.

The JDL seems quite similar to the Kusala Blue in terms of IFC, just a bit softer in the tip and lighter. I have hit JBs Classic at 12* with the blue, and always loved that setup.

Head is spinning dude.
For what its worth, I found the Kusala Blue 61s and the JDL 5s to play quite differently, despite the IFC being quite similar. I much preferred the Blue.

To put it in a politically correct fashion, I think people overthink things a teeny bit :D You have two drivers with 5 very high quality shafts that give you some different profiles to look at. Hell, I went to the MC with the stock Classic, a terrible swing, and I still won 2/4 matches. You saw how it went down.

For what its worth, I found the Kusala Blue 61s and the JDL 5s to play quite differently, despite the IFC being quite similar. I much preferred the Blue.
Interesting.
5543 & 53g
5544 & 56g

Seem afwuly similar there.
To put it in a politically correct fashion, I think people overthink things a teeny bit :D You have two drivers with 5 very high quality shafts that give you some different profiles to look at. Hell, I went to the MC with the stock Classic, a terrible swing, and I still won 2/4 matches. You saw how it went down.
I'm overthinking a bit, I know, but I am looking at two options and their stock shafts, really. It comes down to which will give me the best launch, really.

My guess is you'd see a little less launch and a little less spin with the JDL compared to the 4S, but that's just a guess.

Wouldn't it be worth a call to the boys at Miyazaki to get the straight skinny on what's what. Just a thought

My guess is you'd see a little less launch and a little less spin with the JDL compared to the 4S, but that's just a guess.
I could benefit from less spin...
Wouldn't it be worth a call to the boys at Miyazaki to get the straight skinny on what's what. Just a thought
Not a bad idea!

What kind of spin are you talking? Mid 3's isn't as bad as it sounds at that launch angle based on what I assume you're getting for ball speed. 4k+ is a different story.

The problem is that you're probably going to have to sacrifice launch if you want to lose much spin.

What kind of spin are you talking? Mid 3's isn't as bad as it sounds at that launch angle based on what I assume you're getting for ball speed. 4k+ is a different story.
5k+ spin numbers, dude.

High ball speed.

Yea that's a problem.

Back