Mizuno irons to look at

Good stuff sbg, I think your narrowed choices are two good ones. I'm also glad you're finding the 64s competitive with the 59s. That means you're striking the ball well and that's always a good thing!! I think you were less offline line with the 64s as well (if I'm reading the chart correctly).

Only thing that bothers me is your spin numbers are on the low side with the Mizunos/PX combo. You should be in the 5,000-6,000 range with a 6-iron. Also, your launch is quite high in the 21-22* area across the board, this should be in the 18-19* range. So you are launching it high with very little spin. I'm not sure if that'll be a recipe for success when you hit the lynx and try to hold a green in the summertime.

According to the Mizuno app (I have it on my iPhone) your numbers recommend the exact shafts you were given. You need a shaft that will launch a bit lower and give you some spin. To me, that spells Dynamic Gold. I would encourage you to hit different shafts to optimize your numbers but it looks like your "head"ing toward the MP 64. :D

Btw, how did the 64s and 59s feel? Any difference this time??

Yep, you're reading it correctly, my line was the straightest with the MP 59/64. And I didn't know how high my launch should be, so yeah it seems that I'm a little high even on my current sticks. I would say that this counts the JPX825 pro with DG S300's right out - I had some launches around 25* with that one. Maybe it actually gives me too much "help" with too low a CG or something? I agree that I need to have the spin to hold those greens, so we'll see if I can get some of that spin back with different shafts. I hit all those clubs with a DG shaft, so I'm already giving myself some spin help - what would the KBS shaft do you think? I'm gonna get back on the optimizer and do another free fitting next month when the Mizuno demo day comes around, so I'm thinking those guys will have some good knowledge and be able to help me and make some recommendations as well.

Terrible pun...but I forgive you! :D I'm headed towards the 59 or 64 at this point. The 64s felt very similar to how they did last time - I really felt like I was tagging it. But the 59's, interestingly, felt very different. I didn't pick up that slightly "hard" feeling I had last time, they felt almost just as soft as the 64's. I'll just have to figure out how to get that spin back, and I'm sure when I get to the full fitting level they will be able to get me there. I'd also like to give those Adams Idea CMB's a shot - they have a really nice stock shaft (KBS) and the grips were some of the best stock grips I've hit - as well as maybe find those AMP Cell Pros before I actually close the deal. It will be a few months on that though for sure, so I've got some time.

Good stuff sbg, I think your narrowed choices are two good ones. I'm also glad you're finding the 64s competitive with the 59s. That means you're striking the ball well and that's always a good thing!! I think you were less offline line with the 64s as well (if I'm reading the chart correctly).

Only thing that bothers me is your spin numbers are on the low side with the Mizunos/PX combo. You should be in the 5,000-6,000 range with a 6-iron. Also, your launch is quite high in the 21-22* area across the board, this should be in the 18-19* range. So you are launching it high with very little spin. I'm not sure if that'll be a recipe for success when you hit the lynx and try to hold a green in the summertime.

According to the Mizuno app (I have it on my iPhone) your numbers recommend the exact shafts you were given. You need a shaft that will launch a bit lower and give you some spin. To me, that spells Dynamic Gold. I would encourage you to hit different shafts to optimize your numbers but it looks like your "head"ing toward the MP 64. :D

Btw, how did the 64s and 59s feel? Any difference this time??

So it seems strange to me that it recommended Dynalite Gold XP and PXi - these are shafts intended to increase launch angle, correct? And yet it seems like my launch angles are too high, which would seem to recommend a lower launching shaft, like the regular Dynamic Gold or PX regular. I wonder if its just trying to increase my spin?

This is a great plan!! I only see one problem...they are both great sets and you will wind up keeping both! If your wife is anything like mine thats a 1 way ticket to the dog house!

To know they truth, I have been looking at some on ebay. If I could stumble across some for the right price, I might just sneak a set in and keep them in the truck.

So it seems strange to me that it recommended Dynalite Gold XP and PXi - these are shafts intended to increase launch angle, correct? And yet it seems like my launch angles are too high, which would seem to recommend a lower launching shaft, like the regular Dynamic Gold or PX regular. I wonder if its just trying to increase my spin?

That would be my take on it. I'm sure that launch angle and spin rate are the two primary goals for the MSO and it perceived that spin rate was the primary optimization. The light weight shafts would also increase your swing speed. You want to shoot for a "preferred" launch angle of around 19*, give or take. You may be able to move your ball position and accomplish this and/or you might go a bit flatter in lie. Did you get measured for lie (upright, standard or flat)?

That would be my take on it. I'm sure that launch angle and spin rate are the two primary goals for the MSO and it perceived that spin rate was the primary optimization. The light weight shafts would also increase your swing speed. You want to shoot for a "preferred" launch angle of around 19*, give or take. You may be able to move your ball position and accomplish this and/or you might go a bit flatter in lie. Did you get measured for lie (upright, standard or flat)?

No, I have not had that measured yet - I will have to make sure I do next time I get over to the shop/at the Mizuno demo day. I suppose something else I could do if that doesn't quite cut it is put in a lower launching, high spin shaft (like KBS Hi-Rev) as opposed to the suggested high launch/high spin shafts (like Dynalite Gold XP), right? Or would that be a drastic step? The C-Tapers you have in there would probably be great for my launch angle, but I wonder whether they would cut it for me in the spin department. (EDIT: Now that I look closer, it appears the Hi-Revs are for wedges only, so scratch that...)

Also, would ball position have that significant an effect? I take the ball pretty close to center stance right now, maybe a shade forward.

Last edited:
Can anybody compare the mp53 to mp59 and mp64. How does the feel and distance compare? Im not looking for any distance gains but more consistent yardage with shorter irons. If that makes any sense. Thanks.

***aka AtChad***

Can anybody compare the mp53 to mp59 and mp64. How does the feel and distance compare? Im not looking for any distance gains but more consistent yardage with shorter irons. If that makes any sense. Thanks.

***aka AtChad***

The MP 53 is a full cavity player's iron, probably almost as forgiving as the JPX-825 Pro. I have not hit it, but I would guess that it wouldn't have quite as high a trajectory as the JPX-825 Pro, but a little higher than the 59/64. The 59 and 64 feel very similar to me, with very similar launch angles. The 825 Pro (at least with stock shaft) launches way too high for me. The distance, then, for the 53 would I think tend to be a little less with the assumed higher launch. However it should be just as consistent and soft as the others, and the forgiveness of the full cavity design can only improve your consistency with those short irons.

My $0.02, anyone who has hit the 53's feel free to correct me.

53's are great clubs. I'm surprised the 825 pro's would lauch so high.

53's are great clubs. I'm surprised the 825 pro's would lauch so high.

Believe me, so was I - I had one that was north of 25* launch. I'll have to see if that happens again the next time I get my hands on them.

***aka AtChad***

The 53s are great until you get to the lower lofts and they put a separation in the cavity to aid in trajectory (high) and lower the center of gravity. They also are physically larger in size than both the 59s and 64s, especially in the scoring irons 7-W. Feel is good, borderline great, it is a Mizuno after all. No complaints there. Higher trajectory and spin reduce overall raw distance though (at least a 1/2 club and maybe a full club in some irons) and into a breeze there is a penalty to be paid for the assist.

Honestly, you should probably think of doing a combo-set. Play the 64s say in the 7-W or 6-W and get some assist on the 3,4,& 5 with the 59s or 53s (if you choose to carry a full set). This will give you the help in the more difficult irons and the precision & consistency in the scoring irons...

The C-Tapers you have in there would probably be great for my launch angle, but I wonder whether they would cut it for me in the spin department. (EDIT: Now that I look closer, it appears the Hi-Revs are for wedges only, so scratch that...)

Also, would ball position have that significant an effect? I take the ball pretty close to center stance right now, maybe a shade forward.

The C-Tapers are going to reduce spin, or at least they did for me. I would say the KBS Tours would be more to your liking. They will give you spin looking for but the launch may get you...

Yes, ball position will make a difference. It will change your angle of attack. If you're playing it forward of center then that may be the issue. I actually play all my irons a ball or two back of center so my angle of attack will be more negative than yours. Next time, try moving it to center and gradually back from there and see if things change.

The C-Tapers are going to reduce spin, or at least they did for me. I would say the KBS Tours would be more to your liking. They will give you spin looking for but the launch may get you...

Yes, ball position will make a difference. It will change your angle of attack. If you're playing it forward of center then that may be the issue. I actually play all my irons a ball or two back of center so my angle of attack will be more negative than yours. Next time, try moving it to center and gradually back from there and see if things change.

Sounds good, if I can flight them down a bit. The Dynamic Golds will have a similar spin profile I presume, with a little lower ball flight if I'm reading the charts correctly, so they could actually be the shaft to stick with. Again, I'll definitely be getting a second opinion from the Mizuno guys, as well as a bona fide fitting before I enter buy mode, so I'll keep it all in play for now.

Thanks, I'll give that a shot. Might lower my ball flight some as well.

Sounds good, if I can flight them down a bit. The Dynamic Golds will have a similar spin profile I presume, with a little lower ball flight if I'm reading the charts correctly, so they could actually be the shaft to stick with. Again, I'll definitely be getting a second opinion from the Mizuno guys, as well as a bona fide fitting before I enter buy mode, so I'll keep it all in play for now.

Thanks, I'll give that a shot. Might lower my ball flight some as well.

I wouldn't get to caught up in the launch angles right now. After looking at the #'s from your screenshots, I think the increased launch angle is due to you having an open clubface at impact. This effectively adds loft, and also contributes to the high sidespin numbers on the chart that you observe in the ball flight as a "power fade". The low spin #'s could also be a result of hitting off a mat, which, allows you to sweep the ball (the ball sits up higher on a mat than grass) or even hit a little behind the ball and still get a decent result--hitting the mat first is most likely what happened when the club head speed suddenly drooped on the chart.

Honestly, I wouldn't spec out a shaft coming right out of winter with some cobwebs still in your swing. Give it a few weeks to groove your normal swing, then hit some shafts again. I can't stress enough how important it is to hit the clubs from the turf before you buy. Seeing your divot is invaluable for telling you how you're hitting the ball (e.g. fat/thin, open/closed club face, outside-in path, etc).

I wouldn't get to caught up in the launch angles right now. After looking at the #'s from your screenshots, I think the increased launch angle is due to you having an open clubface at impact. This effectively adds loft, and also contributes to the high sidespin numbers on the chart that you observe in the ball flight as a "power fade". The low spin #'s could also be a result of hitting off a mat, which, allows you to sweep the ball (the ball sits up higher on a mat than grass) or even hit a little behind the ball and still get a decent result--hitting the mat first is most likely what happened when the club head speed suddenly drooped on the chart.

Honestly, I wouldn't spec out a shaft coming right out of winter with some cobwebs still in your swing. Give it a few weeks to groove your normal swing, then hit some shafts again. I can't stress enough how important it is to hit the clubs from the turf before you buy. Seeing your divot is invaluable for telling you how you're hitting the ball (e.g. fat/thin, open/closed club face, outside-in path, etc).

Good point Prime, I hadn't though about the mat's effect on things. I do typically have a slight left to right ball flight, so I didn't really think too much about it. Will be hitting a lot in the next few weeks, and should have a fairly grooved swing once Mizuno comes around in April.

And thanks for the Edwin Watts tip again, glad I could get in there and finally get some decent numbers.

Random question for you guys - slightly different topic but didn't think it warranted a new thread. I've been looking on eBay and found some sellers who carry lightly used Mizuno iron sets (such as this one) for just under $600, or over $400 (40%) off the MSRP of $999 on MP irons, and they offer loft/length/lie adjustments for free and many different shaft options (some with upcharges, some not). Has anyone bought from these guys, or know if they are reputable? They have great feedback and reps on the site.

A related question is, is it terribly douchey/bad "buyer's etiquette" to go to a fitter and get an iron fitting for like $40 or $50 to get my numbers, and then go to one of these sellers? Normally I would support the fitter, but the savings here is really nothing to sneeze at.

Random question for you guys - slightly different topic but didn't think it warranted a new thread. I've been looking on eBay and found some sellers who carry lightly used Mizuno iron sets (such as this one) for just under $600, or over $400 (40%) off the MSRP of $999 on MP irons, and they offer loft/length/lie adjustments for free and many different shaft options (some with upcharges, some not). Has anyone bought from these guys, or know if they are reputable? They have great feedback and reps on the site.

A related question is, is it terribly douchey/bad "buyer's etiquette" to go to a fitter and get an iron fitting for like $40 or $50 to get my numbers, and then go to one of these sellers? Normally I would support the fitter, but the savings here is really nothing to sneeze at.
I personally am weary of eBay because of counterfeits. I'm sure there are some real deals out there I would just be quite upset picking up a set of fakes.
If you feel comfortable I don't really see a problem with paying for a fitting and buying clubs elsewhere.

Got a Mizuno demo day coming by in two months, and I've been taking a cursory look at club models to see if any interest me...anybody have any exceptional experiences with Mizuno forged sticks? I'm at a 14 ish cap looking to come down, and after hitting a set of Bstone J33's (I think?) late last year I'm moved to start taking a look at forged irons. I play TM r7 TP's right now with PX 5.5's in them that I've had for about 4 years now that I quite like, but they are cast, and the feel and feedback I got from those forged sticks was far and away from my current clubs.

I've looked at their current line and decided that I'd like to take a look at the MP53, MP59, MP64, and maybe the MPH4...thoughts on these or other suggestions? I prefer a thinner topline in my irons, but I'm open to whatever as long as its not super fat.

Thanks!

I'm currently using the J38 CBs and love the feel but I'm looking for a softer feel irons. I hit the MP 64s recently and that's the winner for me. Super soft yet on miss hits, you will get feedbacks. Thin top line and sole too!
I also hit the MP 53s and they were nice, but a little less soft than the 64s.
H4 is a lot thicker so it wasn't for me.

You should be fine, they're an eBay Top Rate Seller. It looks like if you don't do a shaft up-charge it's a very good deal. Keep in mind these are "PRE-OWNED"...

The ONLY thing I don't like about NOT buying from the fitter is normally they will do a loft/lie check/adjustment during the warranty period of the irons. Plus, if you have an issue, Mizuno will want to know where you got them. Other than that, I have no issues with paying someone for their services but purchasing somewhere else. You may want to tell the fitter what you've found (after the fitting) and see if there is anything they could do to close the gap on pricing...

You may want to tell the fitter what you've found (after the fitting) and see if there is anything they could do to close the gap on pricing...

Great idea. I do know that they are "pre-owned", but I bought my current irons preowned from eBay as well and have had no problems whatsoever with them - they arrived in great shape and have not failed me yet.

Wonton, I agree with you, I think the MP-64's are the best feeling iron I've yet hit. The MP-59's feel almost as good and are a little more forgiving for me - plus I get a little more distance out of the same loft. I'm still debating between the two, or maybe going with a combo set (59's in longer irons, 64's in the scoring clubs). I don't like the topline on the H4's either, but it's a great hitting club.

I got my first experience with Mizuno the other day and it was a very enjoyable experience. Stopped into my local shop and they were slow so they let me hop on the MSO. After a few swings they came back with the DG S300, PX 5.5 and KBS Tour S. The guy then set up the JPX825 with each of the shafts, going in that order. The 825s felt incredible, especially in the PX and KBS.

We have a demo day coming up with all the companies in attendance. Definitely planning on getting back on the MSO (just to see), and trying out a few of the other head options. I was really impressed with the Mizuno clubs and think that in the next year or so, I'll be in a spot to upgrade my irons. Mizuno is definitely on the list now and this thread offered a ton of good feedback, thanks gents.

Last edited:
Interesting discussion, I appreciate all the info.
I'm torn and tormented.
Did a club fitting a little over a year ago with GolfTec and was disappointed.
The fitter was more interested in selling lessons than going through all the available head/shaft options.
Closest store was almost an hour away and I wasn't about to sign up for lessons, although I did appreciate the couple of tips he gave me.
He told me that I really didn't need new clubs and that he could have me at single digit within a few months of lessons.

I currently game TM RAC OS with DG S300. I've had them for 7 years or so.
After some analysis (never got a printout of my numbers) he suggested either the MP53's or the 800 Pro with either
a Dynalite XP or KBS shaft. Those are the only clubs I swung at the fitting besides a stock TM Burner.
I didn't feel my game was good enough for the 53's, was hoping for more forgiveness.
In the end, I didn't do anything but took my clubs to Dicks and had them bent 1%.

Still yearning for new irons, loved the feel of the forged head but not sure if I should be going toward more game improvement set.
I don't expect new irons to turn my game around significantly but at what point am I being held back by my current set and how much of it is just
operator error.
opinions appreciated.

Great idea. I do know that they are "pre-owned", but I bought my current irons preowned from eBay as well and have had no problems whatsoever with them - they arrived in great shape and have not failed me yet.

Wonton, I agree with you, I think the MP-64's are the best feeling iron I've yet hit. The MP-59's feel almost as good and are a little more forgiving for me - plus I get a little more distance out of the same loft. I'm still debating between the two, or maybe going with a combo set (59's in longer irons, 64's in the scoring clubs). I don't like the topline on the H4's either, but it's a great hitting club.

Ordered my MP-64s today! I couldn't pass up on the deal and it's the best irons I've ever hit. I had to have it. Good luck with your search as well.

If you do those fitting session at the stores when fitters from club makers are in providing those free sessions then nothing wrong with not buying right at the store. the reason is that those fitters are there to provide those services for free. what they are hoping for is that some people would now consider their clubs when the next purchase time comes. *I know this for a fact because one of my close friend is titleist rep representing the area I live*
If you go to those fitting center and pay for $50, $60, etc.. then again answer is nothing wrong. They are there to provide THAT service for a fee.

I've been playing the Mizuno MP32's for the past year and I absolutely love them. They're a few years old and are from the cut muscle line of Grain flow forged Mizuno clubs.

If you get a chance, go to a certified Mizuno fitter. They will put you through a battery of testing modes and will tell you exactly what you need to hit!

I am waiting for my new 825 pro.. will take at least 2 weeks, more like 3 weeks :-(

Back