Playing With Strangers

My friends always ask me when I go to play...
"Who are you going to play with".....I always answer....
"Whoever I tee off with"
That is what I love about golf....I am a people person through and through..
I love meeting people when I golf....
I played with a 3 some last weekend....Two riding and 1 walking...They warned me they played quick and shot around 80...I was walking and I said I could keep up....

3 hours 5 minutes later we finish up...I learned a lot about all 3... Their 79-80-81 games made me concentrate, but it was fun...especially since my best ever 78 trumped them...

they asked me to be a regular in their 2 normal groups of 3 that play every Sunday morning....

God...I love this game..

My friends always ask me when I go to play...
"Who are you going to play with".....I always answer....
"Whoever I tee off with"
That is what I love about golf....I am a people person through and through..
I love meeting people when I golf....
Another site I'm a member of where I keep my scores online includes the questions "Favorite Player" and "Favorite Event". Most have something like "Tiger Woods" and "The Masters". My responses are "Whoever will play golf with me" and "The next round." :smile:

I'm not quite as good as you (okay, far from it), but like most of you, I'm definitely having fun!

Bama, I am a lot like you. Almost every Sunday, I tee it up at one of the local munis with whomever comes out. I like to meet new people and a lot of times, I get an invite to join a regular group. I really like the anonimity of my Sunday outings. I have played with guys who shot 73 and 115, both were pleasant companions and did not hold up play. It is painful to watch some guys try to hit the ball, but usually, it is still fun.

How do you all bring up the subject of age with strangers during rd?

I've never asked anyone how old they are. I find that the older guys love to tell you because they're so pleased they still play well. If anyone compliments my father's game - he immediately tells them his age.

I've never asked anyone how old they are. I find that the older guys love to tell you because they're so pleased they still play well. If anyone compliments my father's game - he immediately tells them his age.

I tell everyone my age, hoping for the Senior discount. LOL

I love playing with strangers. People are so very interesting if you pay attention to what they have to say. As a new golfer, it is fun to play with people that are better than me and have them travel on the ups and downs with me. They get happy when I hit a good shot and comiserate when I hit a bad one. Golf brings people together in a special way.

I've never asked anyone how old they are. I find that the older guys love to tell you because they're so pleased they still play well.

That's definitely been my experience.

I don't mind playing with strangers. I played with 3 new guys last Sunday and we hit it off and we are playing again next Sunday.

That's definitely been my experience.

There are some who when they first see me think that because I have gray hair I am going to play from the front tees and they act put out some if the starter sends me out with them. The looks on their faces are obviously negative on the first tee when they see me teeing it up with them or even from behind them if they play the blues. Invariably every time on the first few holes they will race out to the ball that is farthest out in the fairway. Too bad buddy your ball is back there, this one up here is mine. Oh and yes I am hitting a PW from 140 yards to the green and yes that is my ball up next to the pin.

There are some who when they first see me think that because I have gray hair I am going to play from the front tees and they act put out some if the starter sends me out with them. The looks on their faces are obviously negative on the first tee when they see me teeing it up with them or even from behind them if they play the blues. Invariably every time on the first few holes they will race out to the ball that is farthest out in the fairway. Too bad buddy your ball is back there, this one up here is mine. Oh and yes I am hitting a PW from 140 yards to the green and yes that is my ball up next to the pin.

That has to be one of the best feelings sir. I would love to be like that now and when I get older (I am already starting to go gray and bald at 26).

I played with a friend and two strangers today - they were both singles. They were quite nice and fun to play with. One guy got a phone call and said he had to leave after the 9th hole. He said it was his daughter on the phone and he had to go home and give her a massage before she went back to college. I wasn't quite sure how to respond to that so I just said it was nice to meet him.

He said it was his daughter on the phone and he had to go home and give her a massage before she went back to college.

:excruciating:

Exactly - what would you have said?

"Is she single?"

He said it was his daughter on the phone and he had to go home and give her a massage before she went back to college.

I think my creep alarm would of gone off with that one.

Interesting thread. In the UK we don't play with strangers. If you book a tee time at a course other than where you are a member, then it's your private tee time. You don't have to share it. For that reason I found it very strange when I've played in the States and some complete stranger(s) has turned up to play at the same time as me and my golfing partner. As others have said, some nice people have been met but some strange ones too.:excruciating::bad:

I'm actually happy to play golf with anyone of any standard but the worst kind of person to have to endure for 4 hours is the men (sorry guys) who complain all the way round that the ladies have an advantage because they only have to play half the course!:angry:

I'm actually happy to play golf with anyone of any standard but the worst kind of person to have to endure for 4 hours is the men (sorry guys) who complain all the way round that the ladies have an advantage because they only have to play half the course!:angry:

That's very funny and only because they can't handle that you're better than they are. What do you respond when they say that?

I played yesterday with a guy and his two sons. They were just 10 and nearly 12 and I thought they were very well behaved for the most part. One thing the kids did was wander around the green completely oblivious to anyone else's ball. I didn't mind, but dad spent quite a lot of time trying to teach them to watch for other people's lines and not stand on them.

Fortunately (and I never thought I would say this) it was very slow, so there was plenty of time for the kids to play without us worrying about the groups behind, or losing our place on the course. Our tee time was 12:28 and I returned the cart at about 18:25. We were about 10 minutes late starting, so it only took 5 hours and 45 minutes to get round. But the weather was good and my golf (at least my long game) was not bad too, so I didn't mind at all.

6 hours for a round of golf?!!! Are you mad? OMG that would make me give up golf. :laughing: I can play a round, walking, unhurried and be back in the clubhouse in 3 hours on average. Hey, just think, I could play twice as golf as you in my lifetime!!!:banana:

I played with a friend and two strangers today - they were both singles. They were quite nice and fun to play with. One guy got a phone call and said he had to leave after the 9th hole. He said it was his daughter on the phone and he had to go home and give her a massage before she went back to college. I wasn't quite sure how to respond to that so I just said it was nice to meet him.

The biggest shock is the fact that he had a mobile phone on the course. Isn't that sacrilege?:eek:n-the-phone:

Oh and that is also really really weird behaviour. Don't want to dwell on that one.:stop:

The biggest shock is the fact that he had a mobile phone on the course. Isn't that sacrilege?:eek:n-the-phone:

Unfortunately, on a public course - that is often the norm here.

That's very funny and only because they can't handle that you're better than they are. What do you respond when they say that?

The truth. That I play from the tees that my handicap is calculated from. If I went further back then I would have a different handicap.

A game I like to play with guys is to see who can hit the most fairways, and greens in reg, (distance not important). :golf: I usually win.:wink:

Now don't get mad at me guys, I'm not generalising, most of you are charming.:angel:

6 hours for a round of golf?!!! Are you mad? OMG that would make me give up golf. :laughing: I can play a round, walking, unhurried and be back in the clubhouse in 3 hours on average. Hey, just think, I could play twice as golf as you in my lifetime!!!:banana:

I'm not doing that by choice. When I said "only" that was sarcasm. I've played rounds with my brother in two hours. Personally I think that the only reason you should spend more than 3 hours on the course is if you're playing a four ball on a long course. Then 3 and a half is maybe acceptable. However, in and around New York, if you're playing public courses, then you have to suck it up and live with it taking all day to play. That's the way the world is.

. . . the only reason you should spend more than 3 hours on the course is if you're playing a four ball on a long course. Then 3 and a half is maybe acceptable.

The only time I ever play three hour rounds is when I am off in the first few groups of the day. Four hours is acceptable, and most courses around here want groups that tee off after about 11:00 or so to play in 4:30. More than that is too much.

Back