How do I go about this?

Plenty of time between now and Saturday to get a putting lesson in.

Swing your swing and play your game, there's nothing wrong with winning gracefully or losing gracefully. Have fun man and don't change or over think anything, you've beaten the Fil the last 2 times out just play.

i'd work on your mental game and your putting. i have done this a lot the past year and it really shows. i never thought golf as a mental game but thats completely changed in the last year after reading some books. either way you need to either get better or tune them out or you're going to have a bad round. Good luck!

It showed in Texas brother!

To the OP, just let it go and have fun. Why stress over a game of golf. The round with the inlaws is just that, it's not a qualifier or anything like that

How about this one: "Your daughter thinks I'm pretty good with the stick"? Just kidding. Buy pints at the turn and make fun of some of their more interesting shots while you take a sip together.

That would be my first response to any jabs.

In all seriousness, just have fun and block them out, they'll back off if they don't get the response they want.

Find yourself a SeeMore quickly and you are all good Boss, lol. Really, just go out and have fun with this. If you start pressing too hard to win you'll tense everything up and blow the whole game. Keep it all in perspective, "it's golf".

Just take it in strides man. Its cool that you and your FIL get along enough to golf together. Just let him have his fun, be the bigger man. and dont put much stock in him winning. but.....if you want him to quit...you could OVERLY exaggerate winning if you beat him. Yell, laugh, and dance all over the place on 18. When your done with the show, nicely tell him you come out there to enjoy his company and spending time with him and you dont want it to be so competeitive.

OR....and this is what I would do......

If he starts with the trash talking...make sexual references about you and your wife. and how she kept you up all night cause she was horny. he will get the point. It will shut him up...and knock him off his game.

if he makes a joke about your putting, just tell him your not used to holding the shaft...that his daughter does it for you.

Just take it in strides man. Its cool that you and your FIL get along enough to golf together. Just let him have his fun, be the bigger man. and dont put much stock in him winning. but.....if you want him to quit...you could OVERLY exaggerate winning if you beat him. Yell, laugh, and dance all over the place on 18. When your done with the show, nicely tell him you come out there to enjoy his company and spending time with him and you dont want it to be so competeitive.

If he starts with the trash talking...make sexual references about you and your wife. and how she kept you up all night cause she was horny. he will get the point. It will shut him up...and knock him off his game.

if he makes a joke about your putting, just tell him your not used to holding the shaft...that his daughter does it for you.

I'm pmsl here.

I have one over him today, we just got back from the range and I was creaming everything and when we played nearest the target it was like I had homing missiles on the balls. I just shrugged my shoulders and said that was fun can't wait till saturday, but the more he tried the funnier it was to watch he was topping and shanking everything.

You have to give them 14 shots? That wipes out any right for them to trash talk.

How about suggesting that you play scratch.

^^^^This!

play twosomes (best score) and pair one of them with you and one with the neighbour.

I like One-T's approach. Also if they start picking at you putting (weak point), identify theirs and tell them you'll give them "x" amound of money for every three putt you make and they give you the same for whatever their weak shot is, say fairways. If they're always playing from the rough or trees they'll be ponying up quick and that'll tend to quiet them down. And remind them that you are giving them 14 strokes!! How can anyone trash talk with that fact hanging out there.

I do something similar to this monthly with my dad, my FIL and my BIL. Around June last year I really started to work on my game. When I would play with my coach I was shooting mid 90s shortly after some swing changes but when I would go out with them I would wind up with like 110. I finally began to work on the mental side of the game including: tuning them out, and letting comments ride, and lastly playing within myself. My BIL drives the ball about 320+ but 92/100 are a 290yd slice usually OB. I was constantly trying to have a long drive contest with him on the tee box and many of my balls ended up OB as well. Once I learned that making sure I played my game and minimizing my mistakes my scores came back down to normal. If you are in the trees, dont try to hit some heroic Bubba Watson hook to the green just punch to a safe place in the FW and make sure that you make no worse than bogey. As the guys that have played with me lately can attest I play 3w off the tee box and have no shame in it. I would rather be 230 in the center of the FW instead of 260 in the trees. Recently the running jab at me has been that I am cheating and that one was difficult to get over because I know I am counting every shot because otherwise I will never know where I really stand. I know Im not cheating and have had to learn to just let it roll off because they are just jealous that Im shooting in the 80s now and they are still in triple digits.

What I have found to work best is to totally focus on you having fun and your game and dont make any comebacks at all. For example when I was asked about the Invitational tournament here in texas a few weeks back I told them I shot 91 and that conditions were tough but I was proud of my score considering. My BIL started bragging that he played with some friends the same day at a different course and shot 83. Anyone that played that day can attest the wind was brutal. I know the course he played well and he is consistently hitting 2-3 balls per shot and taking the best one. So my response to him was nothing more than, "I look forward to seeing that same score the next time we play." I have asked him 5-6 times since them to go play and he always has an excuse now and the latest one that he wasnts 10 strokes. I take it as a compliment.

Go get some putting lessons NOW, if you arent comfortable with your putter get a new one NOW. You seem to have a fairly solid chipping game so play every hole into that 75yd distance and chip close, then make sure you make every putt inside 10ft.

Cheers guys, thing is putting has never ever been a problem just the last 2 rounds and tee to green i'm playing the best and most consistent I ever have. I have put hours this week into putting I now have a repeatable pre putt routine and I'm rolling the ball straight and weight wise it's looking good but that's on my carpet at home. My poor neighbor he will be happy to go round in under 150 but he really don't care, I have heard on the grape vine the FIL and BIL have been talking and the FIL has told the BIL to forget winning jack which has picked me up a lot.

OK so we played yesterday and god what a stressful day! The greens was a mess!! wet and it looked like a hale storm of golf balls had hit them, still we all had to putt on them. The front nine took nearly 3 1/2 hours and was painful to play in, I drove well and hit my approaches well although my putting sucked I went out in 51 (par 38) with 23 putts, my FIL went out in 63 and my BIL 67 and my neighbor stopped counting at 80 :/

My neighbor went home after 9 and we started to play better, the first 3 holes on the back nine I hit every GIR and 3 putted them all, my FIL took 3,2 and 3 to get to the green and 1 putted them all from close in. At this point I wondered why the hell I was bothering, I mean I was hitting the better shots, hitting fairways and greens and being punished my the greens I had 3 balls break uphill!! on putts.

Then his luck ran out and I started to par the holes and lipped out 2 birdie putts. It came down to the last 2 holes between us and the greens beat me again we both double bogies them. I finished with 93 and he had 106 My Bil had 111. After speaking to the green keepers after the round I felt better as they have had mountains of complaints but as they said "do you want us to close the course or play on bad greens? They say they will improve by the end of next month. Cant complain Tee to green and i'm not panicking over putting till the greens are better.

What was the final match result? I know you said handicap strokes were involved right?

I would say you should call for a rematch when the greens are better. Use the time to work on your putting and stomp them next time.

I would say you should call for a rematch when the greens are better. Use the time to work on your putting and stomp them next time.

I'll give the FIL credit he has said he's not looking forward to better weather and he has been surprisingly good about it??

He KNOWS............ :wink:

Back