Masters trip planning

Wake

Reaction score
Handicap
Me and my dad are making a quick trip up to Augusta from Tampa for wednesdays practice round. The plan is to leave early Tuesday morning, and play somewhere in Ga between here and Augusta on Tuesday afternoon. We haven't made lodging arrangements yet, so I know we are going to be limited by that since we have waited so late. I figure worst case scenario we stay in Atlanta or Savannah. Our first thought is to head up 95 and play a course along the coast, but we are open to other routes.

So a couple questions.

1) For Augusta veterans, how close can we expect to find reasonable lodging this late in the game. And if we stayed a couple hours away and left at 530 in the morning, is traffic going to be ridiculous the whole way in, or just when we get into Augusta?

2) What are some recommendations for courses to play along the way? Savannah is the first area I'm looking but I'm flexible. I don't mind spending decent money to play a great course, but obviously the less the better.

Thanks for the help.

Im no help here, but I also just found out I'm headed there for Tuesdays round and would love to found out when any other THPrss will be there. Wish we were there the same day Wake.

Im no help here, but I also just found out I'm headed there for Tuesdays round and would love to found out when any other THPrss will be there. Wish we were there the same day Wake.

Me too Lambro, what are your travel plans? I know Ddec and Nerfny are going to be there both days, so we can both bask in their awesomeness.

Me too Lambro, what are your travel plans? I know Ddec and Nerfny are going to be there both days, so we can both bask in their awesomeness.

I'm not sure Augusta can handle the awesomeness.

Wake the only other time ive gone I have stayed up near Columbia which is about an hour north. There are places in Augusta with rooms but they are bucks.

Wake, you'll probably be coming in from a different direction than I have in the past, I would come on I-20 West from Columbia. When I did that, the traffic was only bad within about 5 miles of Augusta and when we got off of I-20 onto Washington Road.

Wake, you'll probably be coming in from a different direction than I have in the past, I would come on I-20 West from Columbia. When I did that, the traffic was only bad within about 5 miles of Augusta and when we got off of I-20 onto Washington Road.

Yup that was my experience as well.

Off I-20 and Washington there are some hotels but you will probably pay close to $500 a night there if they have anything left. Good Luck!

Off I-20 and Washington there are some hotels but you will probably pay close to $500 a night there if they have anything left. Good Luck!

It's looking like Statesboro is going to be a great option to stay. I can stay at a La Quinta or Comfort Inn for only 90 a night. Compared to 150 for a crappy hotel in or near Augusta, or 225 and up for something decent. It's about an hour and a half out.

It's looking like Statesboro is going to be a great option to stay. I can stay at a La Quinta or Comfort Inn for only 90 a night. Compared to 150 for a crappy hotel in or near Augusta, or 225 and up for something decent. It's about an hour and a half out.

I would suggest staying in either Statesboro, or one of the areas along I-95 near Savannah. One benefit to coming from that direction is that the traffic MAY not be as bad if you're coming in from downtown Augusta in toward the course. As long as you avoid Washington Road from I-20 down to the course, the traffic is usually managable.

Have fun!

I have played Crosswinds and Sanctuary Cove on recent trips to Florida and both I had for $25. I played Wilmington Island Club years ago and it was fine as I recall

Man I'm jealous of you guys! One of these days I will make it to the Masters. Can't wait to hear about your experiences though!

I came from a different direction, but stayed in Thomson and was fine. Went to a Saturday round the year wier won, which was the second to last year for Arnold Palmer. Watched him for a while and he REALLY DOES seem to make eye contact with everyone.

Parking was fine in town at the shopping center. It was one of the coolest days of my life. You are about to be amazed. Please consider taking the time to walk the entire course and then get a good spot at Amen corner. Others may differ, but IMHO, you will be able to say you walked and saw every hole and then by parking in the corner, you will be in a spot where SO much history has taken place. Whatever you decide, it will be a great time.

enjoy!

Alright guys, looks like it is definitely going to be Hampton SC or Statesboro, leaning towards Hampton. So I'm looking for a course on the way up the coast or in those two areas. What recommendations are out there.

Right now I'm looking at Crosswinds, Jekyll Island courses, King and Prince, and if I can snag a deal, Savannah Harbor. Any others I should consider? Any hidden gems up near Statesboro or Hampton?

If you are taking 95, couldn't you stop in Hilton Head and play?

If you are taking 95, couldn't you stop in Hilton Head and play?

I hadn't considered it, but I don't see why not, any suggestions?

I hadn't considered it, but I don't see why not, any suggestions?

A couple things about Hilton Head. You're probably not going to want to try to stay there as a lot of people in Augusta rent out their houses for the week and go to Hilton Head. Also, you're looking at a decently longer trip from HH to Augusta than from Savannah or Statesboro.

A couple things about Hilton Head. You're probably not going to want to try to stay there as a lot of people in Augusta rent out their houses for the week and go to Hilton Head. Also, you're looking at a decently longer trip from HH to Augusta than from Savannah or Statesboro.

We would probably still stay in Hampton if we played in HH, would just head over after our round.

We would probably still stay in Hampton if we played in HH, would just head over after our round.

Looks like a good idea. Only other thing I'll add is to be careful of speed traps through those back roads of SC going toward Augusta. Bunch of little towns and drastic speed drops.

Looks like a good idea. Only other thing I'll add is to be careful of speed traps through those back roads of SC going toward Augusta. Bunch of little towns and drastic speed drops.

Awesome, thanks for all the help.

I'm sorry I don't' have any recommendations, but I can't wait to follow along with your journey!

I'm driving through the night Monday night and then driving back late Tuesday. It's the only way it can work with my buddy and my schedule. We were just notified about the tickets so were squeezing it in in the midst of a crazy week for the both of us. I still can't believe I'm actually getting to go.

When I left, I wound up crashing in Valdosta. It was a few hours away but I think I paid 110 for a Holiday Inn Express?

When I left, I wound up crashing in Valdosta. It was a few hours away but I think I paid 110 for a Holiday Inn Express?
Lol, I was headed west (Memphis) and made it to Oxford, AL. I WAS toast! I slept until about noon on Sunday then headed home. My wife recorded it for me and I watched it when I arrived.

This year I will be in Lakeland (Wake's home base) until Friday. Fly home Friday night and leave for Vegas Saturday morning. Gonna play Angel Park and Bears Best. I'll try to find some time to watch the tournament in the evenings. It will be recorded though!

You guys are gonna have such a great time.

J.

Last edited:
Lol, I was headed west (Memphis) and made it to Oxford, AL. I WAS toast! I slept until about noon on Sunday then headed home. My wife recorded it for me and I watched it when I arrived.

This year I will be in Lakeland (Wake's home base) until Friday. Fly home Friday night and leave for Vegas Saturday morning. Gonna play Angel Park and Bears Best. I'll try to find some time to watch the tournament in the evenings. It will be recorded though!

You guys are gonna have such a great time.

J.

Yeah I about fell asleep in the shower that night. I didn't even move till my alarm went off way to early that morning.

Back