Free Secret Grip w/ Install

Getting one tomorrow on my Adams LS. Interested to see if the weighting is noticeable.

Getting one tomorrow on my Adams LS. Interested to see if the weighting is noticeable.

Well keep me informed how it works troy, want to hear what you think about it.

damn, I really enjoyed hitting my driver today with the secret grip, it was fantastic how balanced it felt.

I'm gonna get this installed on my driver this week and try to hit the range, I'll report back. Sounds promising and heck, its free

I'm gonna get this installed on my driver this week and try to hit the range, I'll report back. Sounds promising and heck, its free

That was my reasoning. If I don't like it I can easily replace it.

Got installed on my driver today at Dicks. Pretty sure by the way he looked at the coupon that I am the only one so far, lol. Anyway, now it's snowing so...waiting to test.

What kind of results are people seeing with this bad boy on their driver?

Impressed enough to pay the $20 to have another one put on my fairway, and with what I'm seeing there, I'm thinking of doing the rest of my set as well.

Sounds like I may have to get one of these!

Have any club makers tried building their own back-weighted grip with a 17g washer, taping it to the end of the shaft and then re-gripping. I'm guessing the washer would cost about 10 cents.

Very cool, going to give this a try, thanks for the heads up.

I put one on my driver and it seems to help with tempo or I was just having a better day. Planning on playing this afternoon and I will try and post more.

Have any club makers tried building their own back-weighted grip with a 17g washer, taping it to the end of the shaft and then re-gripping. I'm guessing the washer would cost about 10 cents.

17g's aren't enough. Most grips weigh in somewhere around 50g's. Boccieri's SG weighs in at 92g's. As I discovered on the other site, a better approximation would be to slip a 1/2"x2" (~47g's) clevis pin into the butt end of the shaft, and then put on your grip of choice.

BUT, there are other aspects of he SG that aren't so easy to duplicate--i.e., longer profile, extra build up under your bottom hand. Those are going to affect the weight distribution as well. So, to my way of thinking, the SG offers a pretty nice package that doesn't require a lot of over-thinking. Still I wish the price was a bit more palatable.

I just got back from the range and had a chance to hit my driver with this grip recently installed. I had actually forgotten about it until I made it to the range. The grip feels good in my hands, different definitely but comfortable. I seemed to hit the ball well all things considered. However, I didn't see any miracles. I typically hit my driver well so my hope is that this will make it more consistent...I didn't get it installed looking for 20 more yards or anything like that. Once I hit the course next weekend (I hope) I will report back. Right now I can't say I regret having it installed...but I cant say I would pay retail to have it installed either. I guess all I can add to the topic is that if you can still get it done for free, I don't see what you have to lose. I would just caution you to consider your expectations when getting this. It may add 20 yards to someone, just not me...but I wasn't expecting that so thus far I am happy with my $0 investment.

I played on Friday with this for the first time and my first time all year, hit 11-13 fairways something I cant say I have done before. It seemed to add a decent amount of distance also.
I really wish the price was not so high as I would put these on all my clubs, $200 for grips is not in the budget.

Just went to our local Dick's to get my free Secret Grip installed on my driver. Here's how it went -

Had to search to find the one guy working in the golf section. No other customers around.

Me: "Hi. I'd like to get this grip put on my driver" Pulls paper with coupon out of my pocket.
Him: As soon as he sees coupon, makes a face and says, "We don't have any more of those"
Me: "Really? They were pretty popular then, eh?"
Him "Yeah. You should have called us first"
Me: "Are you getting any more in?"
Him: "Yeah"
Me: "Any idea when?"
Him: "Maybe this Friday. I'm not sure. You should call first."
Me: "OK. Can I get the number for the golf department?"
Him: "We only have one number. Call and ask for the golf dept."
Me: "Can you tell me what that number is?"
Him: "I don't know"

Me: leaving without buying any balls, or a glove I was planning on getting. Another fine example of Dick's personable customer service team....

Just went to our local Dick's to get my free Secret Grip installed on my driver. Here's how it went -

Had to search to find the one guy working in the golf section. No other customers around.

Me: "Hi. I'd like to get this grip put on my driver" Pulls paper with coupon out of my pocket.
Him: As soon as he sees coupon, makes a face and says, "We don't have any more of those"

Me: leaving without buying any balls, or a glove I was planning on getting. Another fine example of Dick's personable customer service team....
No offense, but why go back if you get poor service. If this isn't the first time then you shouldn't be surprised. And why not bring it to the attention of the store manager. It's like you're hoping they fail so you can complain.

No offense, but why go back if you get poor service. If this isn't the first time then you shouldn't be surprised. And why not bring it to the attention of the store manager. It's like you're hoping they fail so you can complain.

Nearest Golf Galaxy to me is in Houston - 4 hours away. This is the only Dick's we have in town, next closest is over an hour away. I am not hoping they fail, just reporting what happened to me an hour ago. Didn't consider talking with store manager since I was on my lunch break and in a hurry. If it happens again, I will.

So they were out of grips--promotion clearly states "while supplies last--and they suggested calling ahead before you make the trip next time. Not quite sure what the customer service issue was.

I got it done... have more control now because the grip is heavier.

For those who like the idea of counter weighting, but want a cheaper alternative to SG...
http://www.hirekogolf.com/counterweights-7328.html

Put into the butt of a shaft, and then install the grip over. Best part is that you can use whatever grip you want.

I got one installed on my driver yesterday at Dick's. Very easy and good experience.

I went to the range this morning. I agree with the balance, smooth, tempo feeling guys are talking about! It feels great... but I still hit like crap...

I bought a set of Tour Lock counter weights for my entire bag. Sounds like we may have a small counter balance following after this.

Where I'm at as well. I've been using lead tape under the grips of my driver and 3 wood, but I want to move the balance point even further, so I'm going with 40g weights into my existing grips. I've been using the same grips for thirty five years and I don't want to change now.

I had one put on my 7 iron a few weeks ago and it's really help my consistency. Today I went for an iron fitting. First thing they had me do was hit my 7 iron with impact tape on it. I hit 5 balls. When I was done it looked like I hit one ball right in the center. Then they gave me a roketbladze 7 iron. I was all over the face with that one. Next up was Callaway. Again all over the face. Ping....Same result.

I'm going to do some experimenting next week. I'm going to do the impact tape on my 8, 7 and 6 iron and see what the results are. If they turn out to be what I think they will be I will be regripping my clubs instead of buying new ones.

I just got back from the range and had a chance to hit my driver with this grip recently installed. I had actually forgotten about it until I made it to the range. The grip feels good in my hands, different definitely but comfortable. I seemed to hit the ball well all things considered. However, I didn't see any miracles. I typically hit my driver well so my hope is that this will make it more consistent...I didn't get it installed looking for 20 more yards or anything like that. Once I hit the course next weekend (I hope) I will report back. Right now I can't say I regret having it installed...but I cant say I would pay retail to have it installed either. I guess all I can add to the topic is that if you can still get it done for free, I don't see what you have to lose. I would just caution you to consider your expectations when getting this. It may add 20 yards to someone, just not me...but I wasn't expecting that so thus far I am happy with my $0 investment.

Just to follow up on this, I got in a round yesterday and my ball striking on my driver was quite consistent. Lost one OB due to a bad swing but hit it pretty well all things considered. I had also made a change in my grip/swing so I am not sure how much this grip contributed. Like I said before, this grip is comfortable and I don't regret getting it for free. At this time however, I am not running out to get these on all my clubs.

Back