JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
GG and I were talking about speeches in movies this evening and what some of our favorite were. Two immediately came to mind as some of my favorites.

Alec Baldwin - Malice - God Complex

Kevin Costner - Bull Durham - What do you believe in?

Any from Shawshank Redemption

What are some of yours?

I don't know if it's my favorite, but the first one that comes to mind is Jack Nicholson's "You can't handle the truth/You want me on that wall; you need me on that wall" speech from "A Few Good Men."

One that immediately comes to me is the "You can't handle the truth..." speech from A Few Good Men. I'm sure I'll think of others.

• Admin
That was a good one Harry. Wow great minds think alike.

LOL, Harry. I guess great minds think alike.:D

OMG, JB.:bulgy-eyes:

Ezekiel 25:17 from Pulp Fiction. Samuel Jackson.
(It's not an exact Bible quote, but a helluva movie quote)

I was going to post the video but it's a little graphic.

Kind of cheesy but the speech by the Bill Pullman in Independence Day would be another pick by me. "Today, we celebrate our Independence Day."

Ezekiel 25:17 from Pulp Fiction. Samuel Jackson.
(It's not an exact Bible quote, but a helluva movie quote)

I was going to post the video but it's a little graphic.

Sam Jackson definitely needed to be in this list. That was a good one.

Sylvester Stallone at the end of Rocky IV.
During this fight, I've seen a lot of changing, in the way you feel about me, and in the way I feel about you. In here, there were two guys killing each other, but I guess that's better than twenty million. I guess what I'm trying to say, is that if I can change, and you can change, everybody can change!
Man, thats some pretty deep stuff.

Kind of cheesy but the speech by the Bill Pullman in Independence Day would be another pick by me. "Today, we celebrate our Independence Day."

That's the first one I thought of. Too much science fiction, I guess. :smile:

Another one that comes to mind is the speech by Queen Elizabeth as they prepared to battle the Spanish Armada in "Elizabeth: The Golden Age."

We cant leave Mel Gibson out of this. The speech from Braveheart and the Patriot were both classics.

I have always liked Atticus Finch's closing statement to the jury in To Kill A Mockingbird.

Well, not really fair to call this a "movie" speech, but Kenneth Brannaugh did a brilliant job with it in his movie version of Henry V, so I'm listing it anyway:

Saint Crispin's Day speech from Shakespeare's King Henry V.

[YOUTUBE]OAvmLDkAgAM[/YOUTUBE]

Closing argument in "The Verdict" by Paul Newman. It is riveting.

Another Paul Newman one in the Hustler at the end when he's telling Bert Gordon about money.

I think my all-time favourite would be Morgan Freeman's parole speech in the Shawshank Redemption.

In different style, Kevin Smith wrote himself some pretty good speeches as Silent Bob. On which subject he wrote some pretty good ones for Jay as well. One in particular stands out from Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back. It wasn't in the cinema release because they had to cut it to get an R rating, but it's on the DVD as an extra I think. The quote is on the imdb quote page for the movie. Search for Dixie Cup. And as a warning, it's horrendously bad, but very funny. Not for the faint of heart.

Ty,
he did write some great speeches. "Did you know I wanted to be a dancer"? Love that line in chasing Amy.

We cant leave Mel Gibson out of this. The speech from Braveheart and the Patriot were both classics.

Braveheart - Good call!

I have always liked Atticus Finch's closing statement to the jury in To Kill A Mockingbird.

Absolutely a great one. I also think Matthew McConaughey's speech at the end of "A Time To Kill" is fabulous.

I'm going to have to think about this question a while...I know there are a couple that'll come to me.

The bestest speech ever was at the end of "First Blood", wow is that Stallone ever good:D

"Greed is good." by Gordon Gekko in Wallstreet

Back