The Official Tiger Woods Thread

So if you broke a rule but it was because you didn't know exactly what it was, you shouldn't be punished?

Forgive me, that way of thinking sounds off to me.

He was punished, two stroke penalty.

So if you broke a rule but it was because you didn't know exactly what it was, you shouldn't be punished?

He was punished..???? ...

they had to spin some sort of reason and the statement clears it all up.. wish tiger kept his mouth shut

My thinking is that Tiger thought he was playing by the rules. If he broke a rule and didn't know it, a rules official should have pointed it out to him before the card was signed and the appropriate penalty should be enforced. At the time he signed the card, in his mind, since no one told him otherwise, he played a correct shot. Only after the fact when someone notices on TV does it come up that he didn't play by the correct ruling. The 2 shot penalty seems fair to me based on what I'm thinking happened thanks to the new rule.

I feel Tiger had no intent to break the rule for some perceived advantage. Nearly every time when a ball goes into a water hazard, the point of entry is deemed to be where the shot initially crossed the hazard line. I think in the heat of that upsetting happenstance Tiger simply played it that way and kept that point between his drop and the hole. Clearly he was wrong. However, the committee gets it right and assesses the penalty, and under today's rules there is no DQ - the Padraig Harrington rule.

As for Tiger keeping his mouth shut - I would bet he is in 100% agreement with the correctness of the penalty and would be mortified if it was debated after the fact rather than now - and glad it is settled. I would imagine he just puts it behind him and proceeds as if he hit 73 shots and is within 5 of the lead in a major with 36 to go, certainly still a great position.

Wait, he broke a rule that he didn't know? He admitted that he broke the rule lol. I am not a Tiger fan but he is great for the game and I am glad he is still in the tournament, the entire thing is really annoying.

I'm satisfied that the penalty assessed was fair and within the rules of the game.

I still have doubt that it wouldn't have gone differently for another player in the same situation.

I wonder where all of this would go if it was Dustin Johnson or Fred Couples in this situation?

Wait, he broke a rule that he didn't know? He admitted that he broke the rule lol. I am not a Tiger fan but he is great for the game and I am glad he is still in the tournament, the entire thing is really annoying.

Exactly. No need to question his character. Or his honesty.

I wonder where all of this would go if it was Dustin Johnson or Fred Couples in this situation?

I think the same thing happens to Dustin or Fred. My thought would be it would never happen to DA Points or Ted Potter, because they have to be within 2 of the lead to get on TV.

I think the same thing happens to Dustin or Fred. My thought would be it would never happen to DA Points or Ted Potter, because they have to be within 2 of the lead to get on TV.

Good call, valid point!

I still don't understand this for one reason. The player's are responsible for knowing the rules, if they're in a situation where they are unsure, rules officials are available on the course.

Tiger can say that he did not know that he was breaking a rule and therefore signed his card as he did. However a rule was still broken. It should not be the officials job to warn him that he broke a rule, he's a professional of the game, be aware of what you are doing at all times. We all know the grey areas of the rules, take the extra time and get a rules official over to clear up if unsure. You would think that after what happened to him in Abu Dhabi that he would be extra careful of making a ruling on his own.

I know a lot of people don't agree with this outlook, but it's the only thing that makes sense to me right now. Which is not completely against Tiger, but also against the rule of not knowing that he signed an incorrect scorecard.

I still don't understand this for one reason. The player's are responsible for knowing the rules, if they're in a situation where they are unsure, rules officials are available on the course.

Tiger can say that he did not know that he was breaking a rule and therefore signed his card as he did. However a rule was still broken. It should not be the officials job to warn him that he broke a rule, he's a professional of the game, be aware of what you are doing at all times. We all know the grey areas of the rules, take the extra time and get a rules official over to clear up if unsure. You would think that after what happened to him in Abu Dhabi that he would be extra careful of making a ruling on his own.

I know a lot of people don't agree with this outlook, but it's the only thing that makes sense to me right now. Which is not completely against Tiger, but also against the rule of not knowing that he signed an incorrect scorecard.

He was told in Abu Dhabi by an official during the round that he made a mistake...this was not the case at the masters. That is the difference between the two situations.

Augusta's statement made this pretty clear. They looked into it before he finished the round and decided Tiger was good to go. His TV interview where he said "2 yards" is what brought this up. But the TV footage shows it was much closer than 2 yards.

So because it was looked into before he signed the card, this is a retrospective penalty of 2 shots and not a DQ for signing the wrong card.

He was told in Abu Dhabi by an official during the round that he made a mistake...this was not the case at the masters. That is the difference between the two situations.

I didn't say they were the same, I simply making the relation that he was in the wrong before, so why not double check so that it doesn't happen again. That was not the point of that part of my post.

You're also forgetting that the Augusta National Rules committee initially said no harm no foul. But then heard Tiger's interview and then relooked into it.

You're also forgetting that the Augusta National Rules committee initially said no harm no foul. But then heard Tiger's interview and then relooked into it.

I didn't forget that at all, but thanks.

It never would have become an issue if it were either of those guys. The TV whistle blowers only seem to focus on Tiger.

I want TW to win more than ever now. Get out there and do work.

I didn't say they were the same, I simply making the relation that he was in the wrong before, so why not double check so that it doesn't happen again. That was not the point of that part of my post.

I know just saying that for reference. I agree he needs to read the rules but in all honesty I have played tournament golf for a while and even I didn't realize in that situation that it was wrong.

That's the part that bothers me. They found no wrongdoing then changed their mind because of phrasing in a postround interview that's an informal summary of his round. If Tiger was making a sworn statement that'd be one thing because you could reasonably interpret the meaning of what he's saying. In a postround interview he's just informally summarizing shots that he's being asked about where he doesn't need to be accurate or even paying much attention. That just seems like a fishy way to determine a violation.

I'm probably in the minority on this. It's times like these that I really don't like professional golf. Tiger took a penalty and took a drop. When he did it, no one thought it was an issue except for the countless clowns who spend their lives calling into tournaments to report rules violations.

Hours later, after Tiger does post-round interviews, rules officials are then prompted to sift through the rules and do more handwringing over whether Tiger's drop was proper. There's no doubt that he was not trying to cheat or gain an advantage that he didn't think he could take.

To me, it's ridiculous. Applying the rues is one thing. Applying the rules hours after the apparent violation occurs (again, from prompting from television viewers - which draws the most ire from me) is just nonsensical.

Like I said, I suspect most will disagree. I just think that professional golf's history of applying the rules in this manner is the quintessential example of choosing form over substance, and I think the system should change.

I'm probably in the minority on this. It's times like these that I really don't like professional golf. Tiger took a penalty and took a drop. When he did it, no one thought it was an issue except for the countless clowns who spend their lives calling into tournaments to report rules violations.

Hours later, after Tiger does post-round interviews, rules officials are then prompted to sift through the rules and do more handwringing over whether Tiger's drop was proper. There's no doubt that he was not trying to cheat or gain an advantage that he didn't think he could take.

To me, it's ridiculous. Applying the rues is one thing. Applying the rules hours after the apparent violation occurs (again, from prompting from television viewers - which draws the most ire from me) is just nonsensical.

Like I said, I suspect most will disagree. I just think that professional golf's history of applying the rules in this manner is the quintessential example of choosing form over substance, and I think the system should change.

Love this to no end.

Brandel Chamblee needs to shut the f up, it's done already.

Back