wilson staff di11 vs ci11

thehackingmurse

@mursesunited
Reaction score
Hey all,

First time posting. I currently play Wilson staff di7's and want to upgrade. I love Wilson staff so I'm looking to buy the ci11 or di11 irons. Anyone hit both of these and could give a comparison? Also if anyone has bagged either clubs after testing both, why did you choose one over the other?

Thanks!

First off welcome to THP. Both of the iron sets you are looking at are high quality irons. With that said they are very different irons. One will offer more mass, a larger club head and possibly more forgiveness. The other is not exactly unforgiving by any stretch of the imagination however. Both are very good, I would say go with which ones fit your eye a little better and you will like your choice.

Thanks JB. Yeah I wish Wilson staff was more popular here in the states than it is overseas. No one carries WS clubs so I can't test them. I'm taking a long look at the ci11's. I guess my inhibition is will they be less forgiving then my current di7's? I'm hoping since they are 4 years apart, the technological advances in the ci11 will make them as if not more than my current clubs.

I currently own the Ci11s, switched after a very good stint with the Di11s. The Di11s will give you some awesome distance and incredible forgiveness, but the Ci11s will also give you a pretty ample amount of forgiveness in a thinner package, plus they are slightly more workable if you're into that. The Di11s will help get the ball up in the air a bit more than the Ci11s.

Unless you feel like you need all the help you can get, I'd get the Ci11s. Plus they are so good looking!

+1 to the ci 11's

The W/S Ci11s are the greatest invention in the history of man.

I, too, hit both and decided on the ci11's. They are extremely forgiving towards the heel and toe. They also do a very god job on thin shots. The stock shafts are also a very solid offering. The only negative (for me) is watching the piano black finish disappear. Plus they are SO affordable.
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Board Express

I game the ci11's. Very forgiving, I hit them very high, and you can move them a lil bit accurately.

Plus they are one of the best looking irons on the market.

Thanks for the great input. I put my trust in THP. Hopefully I can get my hands on these sometime soon.

I currently own the Ci11s, switched after a very good stint with the Di11s. The Di11s will give you some awesome distance and incredible forgiveness, but the Ci11s will also give you a pretty ample amount of forgiveness in a thinner package, plus they are slightly more workable if you're into that. The Di11s will help get the ball up in the air a bit more than the Ci11s.

The reason I was first attracted to this forum was the fantastic thread on the Di11's. Superb information and tons of good feedback. I haven't bought a new set of irons in over ten years (845s Oversize +'s) and figured its about time I do. Being on a budget the Wilson's really grabbed my attention. I thought the Di11 thread had made my decision, offering great value, until I was turned on to the Ci11. Your post here confirms exactly what I was hoping in the Ci11's, looking for a game improver that's a tad more towards a player club than a super game improver. I need need some forgiveness and launch, but want a club that offers some workability, as that's a part of my game I am aiming to work on. I have been shopping intensely online and in the golf shops around town and I am just about to pull the trigger on the Ci11's.

The reason I was first attracted to this forum was the fantastic thread on the Di11's. Superb information and tons of good feedback. I haven't bought a new set of irons in over ten years (845s Oversize +'s) and figured its about time I do. Being on a budget the Wilson's really grabbed my attention. I thought the Di11 thread had made my decision, offering great value, until I was turned on to the Ci11. Your post here confirms exactly what I was hoping in the Ci11's, looking for a game improver that's a tad more towards a player club than a super game improver. I need need some forgiveness and launch, but want a club that offers some workability, as that's a part of my game I am aiming to work on. I have been shopping intensely online and in the golf shops around town and I am just about to pull the trigger on the Ci11's.

Thanks for the compliment PrimeTime, and welcome to THP. Still enjoying my Ci11s and you've described them to a T here - still a very nice amount of forgiveness in a thinner, sleeker package. I did like the stock shafts in these a lot...but when I tested the KBS Tour 90s in these, I'll never go back. A smooth swing produces great results.

Thanks for the compliment PrimeTime, and welcome to THP. Still enjoying my Ci11s and you've described them to a T here - still a very nice amount of forgiveness in a thinner, sleeker package. I did like the stock shafts in these a lot...but when I tested the KBS Tour 90s in these, I'll never go back. A smooth swing produces great results.

No problem Nate. Now that I believe these are the irons I'm going with, I have been wondering what to do about the shafts. I will re-grip with my standard golf pride tour velvets, but I'm lost when it comes to the shafts. I'm hoping one of the pro shops around here have a set with the KBS tour's still available to hit...I would love an opportunity to test them before buying the irons.

No problem Nate. Now that I believe these are the irons I'm going with, I have been wondering what to do about the shafts. I will re-grip with my standard golf pride tour velvets, but I'm lost when it comes to the shafts. I'm hoping one of the pro shops around here have a set with the KBS tour's still available to hit...I would love an opportunity to test them before buying the irons.

first off welcome to the forum!

The Ci11's are very nice clubs and I'm really liking mine. The shafts want and need a nice smooth swing and will react awesomely and launch the ball well. Depending on your swing speed, tempo the stock shafts are not bad. I am liking them the more I hit them as the ball seems to cut through the wind quite well.

As far as working the ball with them that is no problem at all, forgiveness does really seem to their with these as well.

I know a Zenger said someone came into his store and ordered a set with KBS's in them, not sure on the up charge though.

Thanks for the welcome and the info Golfin. I have not traditionally been worried with shafts, although all the reading i'm doing has really got me interested in the KBS shafts. Obviously hitting them alongside stock shafts will go along way. I am curious as to what the up charge on these is. Or what it would cost to simply order the shafts and have them installed at one of the local shops, I'll have to check it out. I saw today rock bottom lowered their price on their 4-PW Ci11's so I'm about to order those in the next few days, and I guess with the low price I have some flexibility to explore shaft options. I'm glad you have enforced the idea of forgiveness as well as workability. I've heard this in many places, but only here at THP have i found real feedback from actual unbiased players. It's only making my decision easier. Thanks again!

Thanks for the welcome and the info Golfin. I have not traditionally been worried with shafts, although all the reading i'm doing has really got me interested in the KBS shafts. Obviously hitting them alongside stock shafts will go along way. I am curious as to what the up charge on these is. Or what it would cost to simply order the shafts and have them installed at one of the local shops, I'll have to check it out. I saw today rock bottom lowered their price on their 4-PW Ci11's so I'm about to order those in the next few days, and I guess with the low price I have some flexibility to explore shaft options. I'm glad you have enforced the idea of forgiveness as well as workability. I've heard this in many places, but only here at THP have i found real feedback from actual unbiased players. It's only making my decision easier. Thanks again!

No problem at all, I honestly dont think you can go wrong with them. As far as upgrade costs for the shaft I have no clue, but you wont be able to do that through rockbottom(I think). If you want to swap shafts later, you can always look at picking up a set of pulls and doing it yourself or taking them to some one to have done. There is a great thread on here about swapping out shafts and another on regripping

I read the threads related to that. Re gripping seems extremely easy and I will be doing it myself when I get new clubs. I may try on a wedge or two in the meantime just for fun. Re shafting looks fun and easy as well and I may have to give that a try down the line. I don't believe I can mess anything up, especially with steal shafts. With the cheap price of the Ci11's I would probably play the stock shafts while experimenting with others, and if I came across another shaft I prefer better I could afford to upgrade. The supplies needed to do it at home look relatively cheap.

I also play the ci11's 3-sw. I love them. They are quite forgiving on those not so great shots and I reakon they look great as well.

Back