Why isn't Michael breed on tour?

I don't know about Breed, but I know Shawn Clement has remarked that he struggled with his game at times, but also decided he didn't care for the lifestyle (TONS and TONS of travel, almost never seeing your family). Certainly it's possible that some of that is just shielding his ego, but it is true it's a rough lifestyle, particularly if you're not in the top half of the money every year.

I have heard PGA Tour pros remark that they'd make awful teachers. Many of them are not even sure how they do what they do. It takes a special skillset to become a teaching pro, and a really special skill set to become a great one. Anyone can learn to read a Trackman, but not everyone can deliver messages in ways that resonate with the student, or pick just the right combination of drills to drive the point home.

IMO, Breed offers great instruction for Mid to High Handicaps.

However, for the Low to Scratch Golfers, he offers nothing.

I disagree, although I can see where you're trying to come from. I just think his directors focus on the target market, which is high handicap golfers. A lot of his segments are based on mid-high cap stuff, but there is certainly more than what meets the eye.

Breed has been an instructional for many PGA chapter meetings and educations. If he has things to offer teaching professionals, he has things to offer everyone.

Dude, my Bridgestone J40 that I ordered is a BOMBER! Love that GD ADDi 7 shaft!

Looks like he teaches a few mini tour guys currently per his site. Was assistant pro at Augusta National for 3 years 89-92...pretty cool right there. A buddy said he shot a couple mid 80's in section events not too long ago...probably just too busy teaching and family life.

I will add that watching golf fix daily and trying all the tips will ruin you unless you're real careful and really pick out the one or two tips that really apply to you.

I will add that watching golf fix daily and trying all the tips will ruin you unless you're real careful and really pick out the one or two tips that really apply to you.

Yeah, you can't try to take everything and apply it regularly. Still watching the show regularly does help understand overal swing dynamics.

I really like the guy! I think it's cool to have a guy teach in such an energetic and fun way. It's kind of cool to see him get excited about it. It's just weird looking at high level golf instructors possessing so much knowledge about the swing but just not being able to translate it over to the course. I wasn't knocking his coaching I was just curious to see what everyone else thought. I know coaching and playing is really different for a lot of sports it just seems like golf is a little different from say football or hockey in that aspect.
Different because it is a lot harder!

Some times I wonder if you think things through before you type.
Most of the time, no. It's just what comes to mind. But, I still love you.
I disagree, although I can see where you're trying to come from. I just think his directors focus on the target market, which is high handicap golfers. A lot of his segments are based on mid-high cap stuff, but there is certainly more than what meets the eye.

Breed has been an instructional for many PGA chapter meetings and educations. If he has things to offer teaching professionals, he has things to offer everyone.

Dude, my Bridgestone J40 that I ordered is a BOMBER! Love that GD ADDi 7 shaft!

Yeah. I guess you're correct in this aspect. I look at it more from what I only see on The Golf Fix, so my viewing of him is skewed because of his target audience. Thanks Thain.

I really enjoy his show "The Golf Fix" and take it for what it is, some of the drills he teaches have helped me in a couple areas. I find it's better to be able to rewind and watch what he's saying a few times over with a PVR.
I do the same thing, his putting tips usually don't jive all that well with the SPi I follow, but there has been a lot of the full swing stuff I find useful and his drills incorporating objects have been very helpful!

It could be something as simple as not having enough length to play at these levels of competition.

Light years difference between a professional player and a professional instructor. Being able to hit quality shot after quality shot in front of a student doesn't equate to hitting a quality shot with a 5,000 person gallery following you.

I'm going to guess that Breed makes a "decent" living :wink: as an instructor; no need to blow that up trying to play on tour.

It could be something as simple as not having enough length to play at these levels of competition.

I think players like Luke Donald and the 14-year-old from China blow the theory of not being long enough for the tour out of the water. That kid made a living this weekend off of his hybrid.

I think players like Luke Donald and the 14-year-old from China blow the theory of not being long enough for the tour out of the water. That kid made a living this weekend off of his hybrid.

But not everyone can hit a 4 iron or 2 hybrid accurately enough to be competitive at that level. If they can, great. If not... they find another career.

I do want to at least point out that teaching in and of itself takes skill to do well, it isn't just as simple as "those who can't, teach". Just because you "can't" do doesn't automatically make you a good teacher. Great teachers are just as rare as great players.

Most of the time, no. It's just what comes to mind. But, I still love you.
Thain.
aaahhh.. spring is coming and love is in the air :)

I do want to at least point out that teaching in and of itself takes skill to do well, it isn't just as simple as "those who can't, teach".

No arguement from me here. A quality instructor is worth his weight in gold. My swing coach also works with three touring pro's but his passion isn't playing tournaments, its helping other's get the most out of their game.

Some are just born to teach and some are born to play pro. Maybe it even has something to do with not traveling and being able to be home to raise a family. Who know's but I like his enthusiasm.

Phil Rodgers is credited by jack Nicklaus as reviving his career and giving him a better swing and short game. Rodgers was a solid player but was said to be physically ill when he was playing in contention on Sunday. I would take a lesson from him in minute. Frankly, many guys on tour would learn something from him.

I have had the pleasure of watching golf with my teacher ( old school golfer). And that is an education in golf and the swing mechanics. If only I could digest a third of what says watching golf.

Back